Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 12:59:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help identifying loose wire (Read 1851 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

Need help identifying loose wire
08/17/23 at 22:10:02

My SE84UFO developed a bit of noise in the volume pot so I opened it up to clean the pot. While it was open I took a close look around to see if anything else needed a cleaning. That's when i spotted this rogue wire just hanging around. Looks like the wire comes from the transformer. It looks like it may have slid off the power switch??? If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it!

image upload

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Re: Need help identifying loose wire
Reply #1 - 08/17/23 at 22:28:04

Just found this pic of when I got the amp last summer, seems that wire has just been hanging out for awhile.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/18/23 at 16:00:41

I have seen similar in my amps, but never thought to figure out what it was about. I am thinking this is likely a transformer lead that was not needed or this amp's operation so capped off. Maybe for 240 volts???

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/18/23 at 18:54:27

Thanks Will, I think you may be correct. The amp has been flawless, other than the scratchy pot that just developed a week or two ago. There aren't many pics under the hood on these amps out there, but I found one that seems to have the same unconnected wire. My eyes are not what they used to be, I'm pretty certain there is no solder on the end of the loose wire so I'm going to button it back up.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/18/23 at 19:13:38

Sean, I guess you may know this, but in case, deoxit makes a lubricant that seems to work well when sparingly applied to pots. Also, just turning it back and forth lots of times, can solve the scratchy sound sometimes.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/18/23 at 19:35:34

Yep. When it first happened I did the back n forth rotate. It would clear up for a bit, but kept coming back. I opened it up yesterday and gently sprayed the pot and ran the knob back n forth. Since I wasn’t going to listen last night, I cleaned the RCA’s and speaker terminals and let it sit to allow any excess to evaporate. I’ll find out tonight if it worked.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/18/23 at 19:46:47

Bet that did it. Just a few days ago I cleaned an old pot with deoxit pot lubricant, as small a spray as I was able to pull off into each channel on the pot, swiped it back and forth a bit, and it is silent now.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/19/23 at 20:58:09

Everything is Zen again. No noise in pot.

IP Logged
1stwattlife

Reply #8 - 08/20/23 at 17:17:43

That wire is capped with clear shrink tube. It looks like just an unused wire from the transformer, left long enough to be usable in the future.

IP Logged
polinkuer12
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 12/14/23 at 01:20:42

i saw that in my SE84UFO

WWW   IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/14/23 at 04:29:30

This is the power transformer used. The gray wire is 115V, the black is 125V.  It's the gray that's used, not the black. That's why the black is capped with heat shrink.

https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/272FX.pdf

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print