Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 11:18:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CryoTone Tubes for Torii MK5 (Read 540 times)
TieBreak
Verified Member

CryoTone Tubes for Torii MK5
12/10/23 at 04:04:00

Hi All,
I am new to the forum.  I recently purchased a Torii MK5.  I have been reading the threads about the CryoTone tubes and am interested.  If I were to purchase CryoTone tubes to use on my Torii MK5, which tubes would you recommend I replace first?  Output, input, VR? Or purchase the CryoTone bundle to replace all?  Does replacing the VR or Rectifier tubes with CryoTone tubes improve the sound?   Lastly for output tubes CryoTone KT77 or EL34?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions..
Aksel

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: CryoTone Tubes for Torii MK5
Reply #1 - 12/10/23 at 15:39:52

Welcome to the forum Aksel. Did you receive it?  Still waiting?

I suggest getting a few hundred hours on the amp and tubes to get a base line of the sound. Cryotone offers a few different tube types and they have different strengths.

EL34 are what Don suggested to me saying they are his favorite in the Decware PP amps.

Improve the sound is a tricky one. How do you want the amp to sound different? What do you want your stereo to do better than anything else? Holographic? Bass slam? Subtle nuance and finesse? Focus on crisp shimmery highs? Warm and syrupy?

This isn't an either or situation. It's what is your top priority and second priority? The more detail about how you want your system to sound and how it sounds now will make the advice much higher quality.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
TieBreak
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/10/23 at 16:56:49

Thank you GroovySauce!  I feel very fortunate to have found a used Torii MK5 that I purchased recently.  A few months ago I watched the review that Harley Lovegrove made on YT of the Torii MK5.  I also have the Pearl Acoustics Sibelius speakers that Harley designed.  The Torii MK5 and the Sibelius speakers have great synergy and I am very happy to join the Decware family.  The overall sound quality is great with stock tubes.  The Torii MK5 has surprising amount of low end and body.  I guess I am just looking to connect with others that have upgraded to CryoTone tubes and hear their impressions/recommendations since I have read very positive reviews.  As I get older my ears get more sensitive to higher frequencies.  I prefer warmer and smoother sound without sacrificing detail.
Thank you,
Aksel

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 12/10/23 at 17:04:34

I think what you'll find with the Cryotone tubes for the Torii are a more dense, focused sound--not necessarily overly warm, and with sufficient detail.

I used Tioriis for years, though I do not have one currently.

I started off with 6SN7 tubes from Cryotone and strongly disliked them. It put me off from exploring Cryotone tubes further, but they simply were the wrong choice for my then system. Later I tried more Cryotone tubes and found that though they differed from my favorite NOS tubes (many of which were not as expensive) they did have a bit more density to the sound and a focus that was not etched or harsh and I was able to build a good complement using them. Now in my ZROCK2 I use a Cryotone tube, and in my SEWE300B I use Cryotone tubes for the output, driver and input tubes (favoring a Sophia Electric for the rectifiers and not wanting to move away from my favorite VR tubes, the 75C1--Steve seems to like them a lot too.)

I was a reluctant convert to the Cryotone tubes and feel that they are worth exploring in time, perhaps starting with the input tubes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print