Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 20:23:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DFH 10 DIY (Read 6132 times)
DJFreon

DFH 10 DIY
07/14/23 at 20:23:24

Can I get a thread going on DIY DFH 10, please.
Will forum moderators put this topic in the correct forum please.

Maybe us DIY builders can give our build a name. Mine will be DFH 10 DIY John M.
The plans are ordered from Steve. This is going to be a fun project.

Steve Decker in one of his early papers on speaker enclosures suggested using a cork like material on the front baffle to break up the sound and minimize hard reflection. I concur with that idea. So on my design I was thinking of using cork in the shape of the circle that the wings create. I would not paint but dye the cork a dark slate black color.. The rest of the box will be well painted with matte/ semi slate black. I like slate and think it will work well with the chrome.

I want to add tilt feet, where can I source these for a 150 lb speaker?

Allen & Heath Xone 92
TAD TSM-300 Willsenson R8
KRK V88 ESS AMT x 4, Bi amp tube amps, Dr. Bag PP amp Douk KT88 fed DBX 234 Lii 10S SEUFO84
Douk B300 mono blocks tube amps ESS AMT 3
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DFH 10 DIY
Reply #1 - 07/15/23 at 04:19:10

Thanks for starting the thread!  We will move it to the DHF forum once it gets created.  Meanwhile, I plan to make a stand for the speakers soon and will report back.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #2 - 07/15/23 at 14:50:24

We will program the Biesse CNC machine next week to cut the wood pieces. I hope I can figure out the assembly sequence from Steve's assembly photos.

I found the "wooden" pillows! The paint color for the enclosures is still undecided. The piano black is awesome but not for our house, I think. The Lii drivers being chrome is a challenge to my imagination.
I will go to the Syracuse Nationals car show to see color options with chrome, there is a thousand hot rods there with all perfect paint jobs.

Steve... is the material you used MDF or HDF? Also, I see from photo you used nut and bolt with thread lock for the speaker mounting baffle or should I use a machined metal ring with tapped holes on the back of the speaker mounting baffle?

Allen & Heath Xone 92
KRK V88 ESS AMT x 4, Bi amp tube amps, Dr. Bag PP amp Douk KT88 fed DBX 234 Lii 10S SEUFO84
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 07/15/23 at 15:21:27

DJF - I'm really interested in where this project goes. Great call on getting some ideas from the hot rod show. I know that chrome on my bike is a beautiful thing, but being married to an interior designer there is not a lick of chrome inside our house. As far as the feet, I ended up using IsoAcoustic GAIA feet for our Omega floorstanders (Not 150 lbs each) and had one of the guys at work modify some all thread to allow a lot of tilt flexibility...they work great in our room and on our floor. Keep us posted (pun intended) and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 07/15/23 at 16:41:01

In regards to paint and color you might want to check out Dip your Car.

Their colors are interesting to me and if you don't like what you end up with you just peel it off and start over.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Paint has always been my downfall on my speaker projects.
Strangely veneering always has always been easy for me.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #5 - 07/18/23 at 21:00:57

Thanks guys on color thoughts and feet suggestions.

Going to the car show was a good idea. Looking at all that chrome and the colors surrounding it gave me some ideas.
The Lii P10 is a work of art but from another planet. The material colors are challenging.
The tan leather colored cone, the thick black surround and the shinny diffuser in the center is making the artist in me work overtime.

The amazing cars at the Syracuse Nationals showed me what works with chrome. For contrasting  and bold compositions, Black and red work very well but I was looking for something less alpha. What I found was, shiny chrome also work well with subtle pastels, like the photos below. I like the soft creamy greens and blues, teal and turquoise, could they work with a 60" behemoth? Maybe.

I also appreciate the soft vintage silver grey paint on the grey car. If I could do that on HDF with a very subtle gain, I might do it.
I know that I also have to pick up the tone of the tan speaker cone so I will adjust the cabinet color's temperature and tint to fit. I am tidderdering towards a pastel turquoise with a satin finish. This should
make the cabinet size less "large looking". The DFH speaker sound is dominate enough.

So, on the way home, my car swerved into the guitar store because there is a lot of chrome there.
I entered, within moments, utterly bedazzled with the chrome color and texture combinations,
I suddenly realized that i am building a pair of musical instrument just like all the guitars, basses, drums and pianos we love so much. Now I know my goal...a DFH musical instrument with the perfect zen of art and design applied. Like Steve does.
]I also am thinking of installing the GIZMO2 magnetic crossover/ TX's in each cabinet, with a knob and bypass switch.
I have decided to name my build YOLO (You Only Live Once).

https://ibb.co/Y73fkkP
https://ibb.co/z8YCFM8
https://ibb.co/q7T5ygH [img][/img]

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #6 - 08/09/23 at 21:14:34

A pair of P-10 are ordered! No ETA yet.
I went to my favorite paint store and talked to them about paint for the box. They are suggesting
Benjamin Moore Scuff X. This is a scuff resistant carbon black acrylic satinwood paint with a beautiful semi matte finish. The finish is luxurious. I choose this finish because although I like piano black I don't want to become obsessed with polishing the folded horns.
As far as moving the horns around, I'm thinking of mounting a large piece of "magic sliders" on the bottom, since we have all hardwood floors and building a transport dolly out of 80/20 aluminum material.

If anyone has any suggestions on a speaker connection plate, I would appreciate it. This is going to be exciting, you know the thrill of making things!

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #7 - 08/17/23 at 12:59:40

As my design develops, I'm seeing the need to be able to move the 140 lb. speakers. I like Steve's dolly but was thinking of using the magic sliders and adding side mounted recessed handles.
The kind of handles that are on the sides of Marshall amps seem like a good choice.

https://www.mojotone.com/Metal-Recessed-Cabinet-Handle-Older-Cabs-Lg?srsltid=Afm...

They would detract from the pure aesthetic beauty but would allow movement of the boxes.
I don't want to imagine trying to lift 140 lbs and then accidently dropping and smashing a corner.
Function over form in this case. There are also recessed stainless steel lifts available.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #8 - 08/30/23 at 12:05:55

My P-10's must be shipping soon, Lii charged my card. Better get back to work on the enclosure.
I'm preparing the family for the DFH massive presence. It's a good thing we are all music loving audiophiles. We love to bring the kids friends over and let them listen to a good system for the first time. The reactions are wonderful.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #9 - 08/30/23 at 19:22:26

Yeah, the drivers have arrived! Got to get down to the wood shop and start building.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 08/30/23 at 23:56:01

Hey DJ, thanks for this thread. I ordered a p-10 pair as well and I am waiting and I am very excited about this build. How long was your way before yours arrived? I appreciate you sharing your thought process and hopefully your progress as well because I'm new at this speaker building adventure and will need all the help I can get. Cheers. Dave

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 08/31/23 at 00:41:05

Quote:
Steve... is the material you used MDF or HDF? Also, I see from photo you used nut and bolt with thread lock for the speaker mounting baffle or should I use a machined metal ring with tapped holes on the back of the speaker mounting baffle?

I used MDF from Menards because I wanted to make it easy for the DIY speaker builders to exactly duplicate my results.  Of course you could make it from whatever you want.  It. does not require anything stiffer, as the design is self bracing.

I did however dramatically strengthen the MDF by using an oil based primer which I talked about in the DFH10 thread.

As for the machined ring, the baffle itself which is small, should be made from cabinet grade plywood.  MDF or any other material will not work.  I found that using washers was adequate with the plywood.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #12 - 08/31/23 at 22:16:24

Dave, I received my drivers in about 30 days. The back orders must be filled.
Are you going to build the classic DFH design? Any custom ideas?

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 09/02/23 at 16:05:05

Thanks DJ, I ordered mine about a week ago so we will see. This is my first speaker build! So I think I'll be following the instructions as carefully as I can and I'm sure I'll need some tips and guidance from anyone with more experience. The only thing custom that I picture doing is the paint color. Although, I am certainly open to ideas and suggestions. Good luck on your build as well.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 09/02/23 at 16:57:52

Well Dave B.S. , as anyone with any sense knows, speakers should always be red.

Sometimes Koa veneer is acceptable.

Anything else is blasphemous!

IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 09/02/23 at 22:13:35

Lol Donnie. I want to see pictures of your red speakers! I hope they're shiny. I will have to look up Koa veneer.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #16 - 09/03/23 at 03:31:54

Sure thing Dave.

I build a lot of speakers.

IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 09/03/23 at 18:09:28

Wow! Thanks for the pics Donnie. Those look like awesome speaker builds and high quality finish. I really like the Koa veneer. Red is a little too flashy for me but very cool combination. Kind of like your signature trademark finish. Are you going to try a dFH 10 build?

IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 09/03/23 at 18:22:20

Does anyone know how thick the MDF sheets that Steve used were? I must have missed that detail somewhere but I can't find it now.

Thanks a bunch.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/03/23 at 18:52:20

Steve said that he shopped at Menard's to make it easy for others to duplicate his results with commonly available products.

Our Menard's store stocks two types of MDF. One is 3/4" and the other is 1/4".  
I am pretty sure that the pics Steve published shows 3/4" materials.

I should point out that if I go to Lowe's to buy MDF, they stock 19mm, which is just a tad shy of 3/4" and will make some of your measurements off by a slight hair.

Before committing to several sheets of material, I might bring along a small pocket scale with metric and standard markings, just to know from the beginning what you are buying.
Sometimes composite products are marked specifically, but for "construction purposes" many consider 19mm and 3/4" to be effectively the same. For flooring, they are, but precision cabinetry usually requires a  better fit.

I am not sure that the thickness dimension was ever specified, however.

Good Luck. I am anxious to see some build these to completion "in the wild."

Who knows, maybe he'll chime on here and tell us that his Menard's stocks 19mm materials and to shut up about all that.
Grin

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 09/03/23 at 19:40:12

19 mm is .002" less than .750".

I'm not too sure how close you are working, but 50  microns is pretty doggone close!

Now to get serious, "Am I planning to build a pair of these speakers"?

Dunno, I'm currently building a lot of solid hardwood desktop speakers, but maybe next year after I retire I can give it a shot.

I really doubt that I would spring for the Lii drivers though, might even make them a 2 way with a woofer and a tweeter.

My experience with single driver speakers hasn't been overwhelming.
But that is just me.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/03/23 at 20:41:37

While that would be true if 19mm always measured exactly 19mm, but it almost never does as you begin to fit them all together.
Just offering something to think about as buying materials can be a caveat emptor prospect.

It often depends for me if I am doing dados.
Most of the old school reproductions I have done to recreate/clone studio monitors from the past include dados and precise rabbets. They were made with 3/4" materials of fairly high precision.
You can not follow the published blueprints exactly!
I couple of wobbly thousanths here and there makes for a loose joint and an out of square box. Those would not pass inspection.
Not the same as keeping it tight.

I am not trying to bitch this up, just offering things to watch for and keep in mind as you measure and set tooling, nothing more.

As I mentioned before, those dimensions, 19mm and 3/4"  are considered equal for some projects.

Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 09/03/23 at 23:22:22

Thanks to all for your input. That is very helpful. I figured it was 3/4 in but was not aware of the 19 mm issue mentioned about, so I will measure before I purchase. Hopefully Steve will chime in when he has time.

IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #23 - 09/04/23 at 15:09:16

Thanks for the heads up on material sizing! I will check my supplier. I get my wood from Mennonite's in PA, they have quality wood. I can use cherry or maple but at a higher cost.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #24 - 09/04/23 at 15:11:17

Steve,

How do you get the speaker baffle plate to achieve an airtight seal on the enclosure? Did you use a sealing material?
How is removal done without damage?

Thanks, progress is being made on the DFH 10 DIY.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #25 - 09/05/23 at 18:17:53

I put self-stick crafting felt on the back side of the removable baffle to create the seal.  To install the baffle once the driver is bolted to it, you set it on the bottom of the opening and tip it back into the cabinet.  Keep your hand on the bottom so it doesn't fall out until you have one of the bolts threaded in.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 09/06/23 at 16:02:48

Steve, are there plans or instructions for how to design and create the diffusers  that are used inside this speaker build? Also, do you know where you got the 12-in log pillows? I've been looking online but I am only finding 14-in diameter pillows.  With those work or is it important to have them be 12-in Max? Thanks for your great design and your guidance with this exciting project.  Dave

IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #27 - 10/22/23 at 12:22:53

Project update:

My first choice to cut the parts informed me it would be February before they could cut the pieces.
It must be nice to be so busy. So, I looked around for others with CNC machines and may have found a company that can deliver by end of November! These guys are genuinely excited about the project.
They will modify the plans and program the machines to cut in rabbet / dado slots to ease assembly.

We will use Trupan High Plus MDF and white oak for the speaker panel and the elephant ears.
I have received the round wood pillows and the binding posts.

So, the excitement is building and we may have the speakers finished by Christmas! A very nice Christmas present I think.

Is anyone else making progress on their builds?

Note to Dave... no my P-10 do not have a chemical smell or scratches. The pillows, I purchased from AliExpress, received in 10 days. I should try my P-10's in their shipping boxes to start the burn-in.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 10/29/23 at 00:52:29

Thanks DJ, Sarah from decware said she got a new pair of p10s that have the same light scratches that I'm describing. Kind of faint and nothing that noticeable. Why did you decide to go with White oak for the front panel? I'm ready to get started now as well and I'm looking for it a place that can do some of the CNC work for me. Looking forward to seeing more about your build.

Dave

IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #29 - 11/07/23 at 11:30:20

Dave,

How is your build going? I have committed to a CNC shop for $2000 each finished and painted cabinet. You should shop around if you can. One wood shop quoted me $18481.04, unpainted. I must have had stupid or stupid/ rich on my face.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 11/07/23 at 12:56:23

DJ, Thanks for posting your build journey. I'm looking forward to your impressions once they are in your system.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #31 - 03/21/24 at 15:16:00

Well it has been a long journey building these Headwrecker type speakers, but they are finally finished.

Well it has been a long journey building these Headwrecker type speakers. Just getting a decent quote for the CNC took some time, but they are finally finished.

The build was very much fun with the help of great craftsmen. Today they are still laying horizontally, not a good way to listen to them. Waiting on ears to be finished. Interesting that the Lii build uses metal ears, we used the thick wooden ears.

Just listening horizontally, they are asking for a good break in time. If comparing to the LED color temps, this speaker is 6000k bright blue. The cabinet, as far as I can tell, is a monster. I'm using Steve's UFO amp and kind of wishing for more. I have a 25 watt per push pull by Mark Sinclair that I will eventually try for more punch.

I thought I knew a lot about watt and efficiency but I learned on a logarithmic level. A long time ago I discovered my ears liked about 96 dB for perfect excitement, so moving to this 100 dB driver may be too much for my young and sweet ears, even the kids say they are too loud.

This speaker would really shine in a music bar, it seems to have quite a throw. I can imagine then sitting up high aside a DJ booth in long room with a couple of big subs in the back of the room, the effect would be enticing, people would stay for a 3rd drink, I think.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
The ears are on now and they are upright. Wow, this speaker is like nothing I have ever heard in a home speaker. It's got a distinct crisp sparkle that really fills the room. The bass from the folded horn cabinet is like a lurking giant, you always know it's there ready to move some air and when it does, it's pleasurable.

The pictures show some of the build process. I wrapped the driver in a soft cloth to reduce ringing as Steve did. I have temporary 5/16 bolts for the front baffle, so I can easily get in the box if needed. Decorative bolts will be installed later.

I played these two records as a first listen...
Player Piano - Daniel Lanois, wonderful vinyl, I could hear the artist breathing and fingers moving on the piano, which I could not hear before.
Moses Sumney - Aromanticism , getting to be one of the favorites, his voice is an amazing falsetto and backed by a very good band.
Both these records bloomed like never before, the stereo image from these speakers is outstanding.

Our home is a long "L" shaped layout, so there are wonderful speakers at both ends with kitchen and dining room in the middle. The headwreckers have about a 45' throw and the music is all over that space. Then we played some Andrea Bocelli and some techno.... really good listens.
Am I glad I did this? Yes! It was a 500 day journey and costly.

I think the Lii P-10 drivers need a good workout to break in. Steve Decker was very brave to design this enclosure and has done a great job.
If you are considering a build, I would recommend cutting the parts on a CNC machine.

I would like to see Steve Decker re-imagine the Altec A-7 or Western Electric enclosures with modern drivers and maybe TAD HF drivers.
This headwrecker build will keep us happy here and I think will grow on our kids as they love music as much as us.
I will post more opinion as time flies.

Here are some finished photos.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 03/21/24 at 18:06:43

Wow dj, those look beautiful. Good job on sticking it out through the long journey. I do think the pt-10 needs plenty of break in Time so I expect the sound will just improve over time. Are the wires attached to the front of the baffle there to help you take it out easily?  I'm about ready to start my head wrecker build. I've been working on diy room treatment instead so that is delayed my plans. I know you said one should use CNC to cut the parts, but I do plan to give it a try with my table saw. Any tips for someone who is trying to do it without a cnc? I'm sure I will have other questions including that I'm curious what you suggested to Steve as a revision for his plans?  How many coats of paint did it take and what painted you end up using?. Did you need to sand the inside parts or just the outside parts before priming them?  Thanks again for any advice you can give and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Dave

IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #33 - 03/21/24 at 19:00:32

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your comments. I sense break in time will do some good. Yes, the wires were temporary to ease removal. If you are good with a table saw, it should work as Steve's plans are pretty accurate. In reference to the drawings, I suggest cutting out the green line perfect triangles to aid in placement of interior parts. Dado the inside cabinet if you can for easier placement. The interior has 2 coats of oil based primer and the exterior has 3 coats of oil base paint, I did not use the SkuffX paint that I mentioned earlier. I did sand everything. Put the pillow, felt and foam sheets inside per pictures. Use Tightbond II glue and clamp the parts to set up.

Will you use the P-10 driver or another?
It's a fun project for and audiophile with patience. Please keep me posted as to your progress.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 03/21/24 at 23:18:34

Very cool, DJ. Thanks for sharing your build. I’ve had my eyes on these for a while. Not sure if I’ll build them or not. I want to take a trip to the mothership for a listen first as I tend to be an open baffle guy. Really stoked to see Steve’s latest development with his new drivers. Do you think you’ll try them?

IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #35 - 03/22/24 at 00:41:55

Hi Gilf,
They sound interesting and reveal a lot. I also like the S-10.
Here is an OB of S-10 in stone.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #36 - 04/09/24 at 14:36:32

Living with Headwreckers

These Headwreckers have really grown on our family. The kids like them, I know this because they now choose to be in the room with the Headwreckers and not the main music room. The kids ask for music to be played on them.

The folded horn design is reminiscent of theater sound systems of the early days when only tube amplifiers were used in theaters and horn style designs were used to amplify and throw the sound to the audience. So, I'm calling the Headwrecker sound "old fashion"  and I like that. The folded horn cabinets are mechanical amplifiers make of wood and have a pleasant organic sound. The bass comes from down in the throat and the high frequency coming from the P-10's is of a modern refined sound so the speakers are a welcome addition to our home sound system. They are quite different from the sterile sound of the small white boxes with DSP controls that force the sound to comply. I cringe when people say "sound bar".

The kids understand this well because they are both piano players and learned to play on a real wooden upright. We bought an electric piano and they quit playing it because it didn't resonate like the wooden piano did.

Even with the 45' room that they are in, I get the feeling that the Headwreckers would be even more happy in a larger room. At first, I thought that I would be finally be satisfied  with a full range that could produce enough natural bass that we could dispose of the subwoofers but one of the kids said, "not enough bass" as she was used to the subs in the main music room. So, I may add a sub to each side to satisfy. I am thinking of adding Carver Sunfire's or perhaps build some new subs with the larger Lii low freq drivers like the W-15. The W-15 has a sensitivity of  (2.83V / 1m): 95.6 dB (dual coil). I'm concerned that 95.6 dB is going to play little brother to the 100 dB P-10. I suppose I could build a folded horn to enhance the sound but having a house full of big black boxes may have people questioning our sense of decor.

These are all subjective options and no scientific measurements have been made just listening to the speakers. I'm enjoying the feedback I get from the kids friends, I ask them, " what sounds best to you?"
So far, it's been the Headwreckers.

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #37 - 04/10/24 at 18:12:22

Very nice job!  

WWW   IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 04/10/24 at 20:51:40

Hi all, I finally plan to get started on my DFH10 or possibly DFH95 build.  I was planning to use the Lii PT-10 in my build, but of course FOMO kicked in when Steve shared his latest implementation of the headwrecker horns with the Satori driver and separate tweeter with a crossover!

Steve, if I plan to make the DFH, are there any recommended changes to the plans if I will be using the Satori full range along with the tweeter you used in the DFH95?  Will you be sharing the plans for the crossover you created for that driver combination?

For anyone who has already completed their builds, including Steve, would you make any changes to the design if you were starting again and planned on two drivers and a crossover?

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance you all can provide.

Dave

IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 04/10/24 at 21:13:11

Wow quire an impressive build…🤔 I wonder what they sound like lying on their backs?😂

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
DJFreon

Reply #40 - 04/15/24 at 21:42:05

To DaveBS...

Hi Dave,
How is your DFH project coming along?
I'm excited that you may change drivers from the Lii P-10, it would be fun to put them side by side for comparison.

If I build another set, I may try the following...
Use a one piece round stone front baffle for the different driver and tweeter. I would mount the tweeter above the big driver. I imagine the stone to be a gorgeous piece of marble with a flat unpolished finish.
There is another baffle material I found that is a stone composite sanding block that I like very much.
I am contacting the manufacture to see if they will sell me a couple of pieces to cut the round baffle with. This material is strong and light.  

There would be no screws showing on the round stone front baffle, it would mount to the DFH from the rear of the stone.

Mount the speaker terminal connections on the rear of the DFH.

For a 2 way, I think I would design a really good crossover or use an active crossover with slope adjustments. An active C/X would require 2 tube amps per side.

My wood finish would be black with grain showing for the man made material baffle and a wood grain finish for the natural stone.

I wonder if it would be possible to build the cabinet with an adjustable baffle to increase and decrease the internal volume of the box by +/- 20 %. I don't think this has ever been done but it would be interesting for fine tuning.

Let me know how you build is going, do you know anyone else that is building DFH's?

BTW >>> Speaker baffle mounting screws for Decware design I used    Midwest 37452   5/15- 15 X 1.57" Black socket head

Allen & Heath Xone 92
SDX12 DBX 510 Sunfire
Denon & Tascam
Dragonfly RED
DIY Headwre
  IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #41 - 04/16/24 at 18:32:49

Hi DJ, thanks for your response.  I have not started my build yet, and am considering whether the HDT-2 would be a better fit for my room size of a 16 by 21 foot rectangle.  I have not decided yet.  My thought about using the newer drivers that Steve has recently used in this cabinet is related to how enthusiastic he is about the sound and my worry that the PT-10 might be too bright.  I am currently using the PT-10 in a (thrown together with scrap wood) open baffle driven by the UFO-25 and with Lii W-15's on the bottom driven by a crown XL1002 amp.  They sound really good to me now, but that P-10 does sound a bit shouty at times in this set-up on some music.  

If I do the DF 10 or 95 build, I am not sure what you mean but a round marble baffle or how that would be integrated into the current design.  I am having a hard time picturing it.  Since I have no experience building crossovers, I would need some guidance from Steve or another forum member about how to build the one that Steve has pictured in his DF-95 version. If sounds like i could build the Headwrecker cabinet based on the plans that I have from Decware and then decide on which drivers to install later.  Or I could try both using two different baffles.  That is a nice feature with this build.

I appreciate your info about the machine screws you used.  I do plan to wire them from the back for convenience with my set up.

I will keep you all posted once I make my decision and move forward.

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print