Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/28/24 at 05:50:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Davis Acoustics 20DE8 full range OB own projekt. (Read 831 times)
Piccaso
Verified Member

Davis Acoustics 20DE8 full range OB own projekt.
07/10/23 at 11:51:41

Hi guys. I guess, this forum topiks are about some DIY projekts, experiences, or etc..what we did, can do, or show own dreams which came true  :)
 For that, even i no have made all pictures step by step, how i made my speakers, but main of them i have. This is my 2 years planed and 3 months made speakers project. Base is on Davis Acoustics 20DE8 wide range driver, plus add RiPol subwoofer and on the top, super tweeter for highest frequencies. In RiPols i have used SEAS CA22RNY bass drivers /8" is smallest bass drivers which is OK for making RiPol subwoofer/. This is passive RiPol, even best way is made him active, for my using/plan, i decided go for this. Low pass filter is made with Mundorf and ClarityCap parts. No highest quality, but also no lowest. There is cca 360mikroF, and use for it high quality caps will be extremly costly  :P Btw, for low pass filter i think, is good enough. As super tweeter i have used HiVi RT2CA drivers. Fileterd ust with Jensen Audio Alumen cap. Here i used high quality cap, here itīs very important. Tweeter and Davis wide range drivers is regulated by attenuators. We are humans, have different rooms and devices, like this i can setup their character much better for each situation. Everything is fully open baffle. Even Davis isnīt designed for OB, even alone, he can play very well. RiPol is passed on 170Hz. Tweeter on 9000Hz. Impedance for single wiring is between 2,5-3ohm, and impedance in bi wiring is 4+5ohms +/-1ohm. Little bit low, but good amp can easy drive it. I drive them with Crayon CFA1.2, and everything is perfect. Sensitivity is around 91-92db totaly. Body is made from beech multiplex, thick 25mm. On the top is natural veneer, two different wood, and painted with wax oil, 3 layers. Internal cabeling is made with AdamHall 2x2,2mm twisted wires in cotton insulation, and used real gold plated pins where been i canīt solder it. Rest is made wire by wire, soldered with silver WTB tin. Sound? Is hard to explane, but what i can say - the background is completely black, quiet, the bass is deep, tight and fast, it can't compete with anything even with large closed speakers. The sound comes from space, and I can distinguish not only the left-right or front-back effect. But also height positions and positions are "visible". The tonality is more than very natural, pleasant, realistic to the point that I sometimes get scared when something unexpectedly plays or a human voice is heard in the background.
   I hope, you will can like my design and work as well. I try my best, even i went ower any my limits and possibility in my small workshop, with just hand tools  [smiley=10.gif]  Thanks for watching  ;)

IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Re: Davis Acoustics 20DE8 full range OB own projekt.
Reply #1 - 07/10/23 at 11:53:40

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 07/10/23 at 17:29:32

Wow! Incredible!

I'm trying to wrap my head around how it all works, the open baffle subs are pretty cool.

Great workmanship.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/10/23 at 18:57:51

Hi Donnie. Thanks for your opinion and words. How it work is simple - perfect!! 😉 Full range play everything, no any filter or etc. He is connected directly. RiPol subwoofer is tuned by right pass frequencie, if he go smooth together with full range. I tested from 200hz down, and 170hz is best. 200hz been ready to much bass, go to midrange as well. Less than 170hz - to low for drivers and bass peak. All is conected paralel. 2x 8ohm bass drivers for 4ohm subwoofer, and 2x8hm full range and tweeter. Because there is ateunators, filters and etc, impedance totaly is around 3-3,5ohm. Any good amp have to be ok drive 2ohm speakers. My Crayon is?ok with 1,2ohm speakers. For me, combination full range driver in ob cabinet, suported by RiPol subwoofer is best way. You no need use extremly big bass drivers, for get perfect and deep bass in standard ob cabinet. RiPol is fantastic. All together play as in life. With all feelings and details and timbre. For sure, important is used drivers. Everyone have different tonality. Much better driver, much closer to real sound. Always you can play with drivers, which isn't designed for ob. Thanks again... 😇

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print