04/29/24 at 15:10:56 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Exploring Bass (Read 16328 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Exploring Bass
Reply #50 - 09/28/23 at 23:19:27

I still have my F15s which are a perfect example of achieving  very engaging bass without going super low.   I’ve tried filling in the low end with a sub and it had much luck.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #51 - 09/29/23 at 01:34:53

I think we should explore this list on the Decware Imperial SO horns and the Headwreckers during the fest.

I didn't even see this thread until now, so the Audio Gods put this together.  Last week I had the spontaneous urge to listen to the Imperials and get them up and running for the fest. So that tells you that the Audio Gods actually read your thread before I did.  In fact had I not been so busy getting them hooked up and dialed in I would have had time to read this thread.  Interesting how it works isn't it?

I had some real fun with my listening buddies making them guess what speakers were on during a listening session which I recorded live and posted here:  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1695946943/0#0

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 09/29/23 at 04:55:05

Here is some Bass Singing with a beautiful sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03tuBNl9RAk
That Bass sound is not a double viol, it is human singing!

Brian

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 09/29/23 at 12:03:00

The Tiny Radials always impressed. I've had those in many locations the last year or so. Best location of the TRs over that time was in the driver section of the motorhome with the curved glass set as the back wall. Very engaging albeit a bit bass shy. Always said a good sub would make the TRs complete. That video you linked, Steve, confirms it.

Damn it...you got my mind spinning again! The Wicked One use as a sub blends well with certain music and over compensates with other types like synthetic bass heavy tunes. The 350 watt sub plate amps(one for each DHM108B) is crossed at the lowest frequency and set at about 12 o'clock volume wise with zero phase shift in the charoit. We talked about using the WO32 enclosure with the DHM108Bs as a sub for the TRs in my office set up. I am leaning towards doing just that....then Head Wreckers, HDTs, with ? as a sub for the main room.

It's going to get interesting for sure! Hopefully a clear path will emerge during/after Decfest.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 09/29/23 at 12:47:22

Palomino. I’m guessing the GR-Research OB will be a great fit for your system. When I had mine setup they could suck the air from my lungs. Even including the cost of buying all the clamps from two  harbor freight locations, the value and performance is excellent.

If possible I would suggest not changing subs and adding diaphragmatic absorbers. Your bass will be transformed. For around the same price as 2 GR-Research Triple Threat kits you can have 4 diaphragmatic absorbers. The bass in the room will be so much tighter and cleaner. The texture in the bass will blow your mind.

The HUGE issue is, will adding 800 pounds and 4 large boxes be workable in your situation? There is nothing sexy about diaphragmatic absorbers… until the music starts to play then you are forever seduced.

The other day I was curious what different drivers would sounds like. The Acoustic Elegance 15” are really intriguing. Maybe in a year or two I’ll actually consider changing something with my speakers.

If I recall the only song I heard on the corner horns was Bela Fleck - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. Yes the bass line is fun, It’s not a good demo of quick tight bass. Let’s get some snappier bass tracks going this year!

Kamran. I would look to get the PAP’s going before messing with a sub.

You’re not crazy, I found that adding the AVC improved bass too. I think transformers add a bit of dynamic snappiness to the music.

Steve. Sounds like a plan. Looking forward to it!

John. The TR being bass shy is one way to say it, Ha! They are a dang impressive little speaker! I've also thought about stereo subs with a TR on top.

So is this Decfest going to be all about the 300B, B for bass?  ;D

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 09/29/23 at 13:37:27

It's a fest, within a fest.  Put a star or something on your name badge to signify "bass curious."

I have a lot of absorbers in my room (2 - 24"X48"X12" panels, 4 corner absorbers and 2 ceiling absorbers) but don't capture waves that low.   I do think they help with upper bass.

It's been a long time since I looked into building a Helmholtz or a diaphragmatic absorber.  There are DIY plans out there, but they are beasts.  

I listened to my electronic bass tracks last night -- probably too loud.  With the P10s, 95db+ is easy to get to after a couple of cocktails if you are not careful.  I'm going to try to listen to some of the tracks listed here today.  This work thing is getting in the way.

In my second system I have basically the same setup but C10s over 15" Hawthorne Audio Augies and a 10" sonotube sub I built that goes pretty low (but its muddy).  

The room is much bigger with a vaulted ceiling/open loft so there are places for the bass to go, but there is no comparison to the output I get from the AE 15s.  

I'd really like to see how they compare to the Lii Audio W15s. I've heard a single W15 in Randy's setup, but Randy mostly plays chill music in that small shed, not the chest thumping stuff, so I don't have a good feel for how they compare.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #56 - 09/29/23 at 13:47:26

I still need to build an Imperial SO.  Or perhaps a pair like Steve has in his listening room.

Hmm, 6 months from today is my retirement date. That project could keep me busy for a couple of days!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 09/29/23 at 15:23:17

You will be surprised on how much time that can actually be dedicated to hobbies once retired and tied with the better half. I have no complaints but just need to stick to a schedule. Kind of anticlimactic…you think?

My main room is treated with bass absorption rear corner panels calculated for the 20 foot depth of the room. The Master Handbooks of Acoustics was used as a reference in taming the 50/60 hertz standing wave created by the 20’ spaced parallel walls. It is interesting to note that different materials and thickness can be used in the corner absorbers as the resonator while spaced rock wool behind the resonator does the actual absorption of the target wavelength. Changing the resonator properties can be utilized in making the size of the panel fit the corner in a favorable way. The side walls of the room are canted so no need to treat it for standing waves. However the 7’ floor to ceiling height needs addressed. I think it is the reason of some intelligible issues with vocals in my room. Hopefully anyway. The ceiling absorption panel at 6.5’ height in the center of the room and carpet below helps some with intelligibility. There is 2” rock wool panels suspended in front of the LCD TV when playing music. This tames highs well. The panels are mounted with pocket door hardware and can easy be slid for TV watching. Sometimes I forget to slide the panels back when turning on Decware and usually end up wonder why things sound a bit like tin only to notice that the TV is in plain view!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 09/29/23 at 15:55:55

I used to spend more time on taming bass when I had box speakers. Room modes galore.  

But since going to OB bass, I haven't had issues except the sub bass (still a box), which has got me thinking about the GR Research OBs.

I'm interested in hearing more though.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 09/29/23 at 17:56:27

OBs are like that with 180 degree phase cancellation from the front to back wave. That bounce off the baffle and back wall give a hefty boost to bass without over pressuring the room and creating standing waves...I think. I would have a mound of work to properly be used in my room.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 09/29/23 at 19:23:49

I don't mean to correct or even sound much like I know what I am talking about, but only to clarify a couple of points in what is stated.

If you observe (many, over many years) the polar propagation patterns projected by open baffle drivers of any kind, the patterns resemble more of a "figure eight" pattern than any other way to describe them.

The main cancellations that the room and your ears experience are happening to the sides, ninety degrees from front to back, where your ears are not.
It is only near the edges of the baffle where any signal approaches 180 degrees out of phase. Of course, the size of the baffle determines where a perfect 180 degree cancellation can occur.
The curvature of an open baffle design ensures that where ever those frequencies land, it will not be one small band that is cancelled, but rather a subdued amount of cancellation over a wide range of frequencies.
All of which are subdued out of your ear shot, since it is the sides of the baffle where the cancellations are most noticeable.
That's good news!

Once your reproduction system goes down low enough in frequency, say near 50Hz where bass frequencies tend to project almost omnidirectionally, this is the area of responses where open baffle propagation patterns, resembling a "figure eight,"  can help more than hurt.

Instead of a constant propagation of a 360 degree radiation pattern at those frequencies, with a "figure eight" pattern, you have basically cut the intensity of those problem frequencies (the ones that wonder aimlessly around the room, cluttering up the overall sound with standing waves or massive suck outs and peaks) in half!

I hope some of that makes sense.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 09/30/23 at 10:57:11

That is helpful and understood DD. Vibrating objects organize air molecules in pressure waves and when those waves collide at angles the return to caos.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 10/03/23 at 21:24:43

Along with the star next to our names are we going to have a secret hand shake? Cheesy

Treating the room for midrange and up is easy to get significant results. Bass on the other hand is a wicked beast to get tamed.

At my brother’s old house he put 12” of 703  floor to ceiling on the front wall. It made a difference.  He then added 4 diaphragmatic absorbers and he was blown away with the amazing difference it made.

Doesn’t matter the design of the speaker. Once the sound leaves the speaker the waves travel all around the room. The room is the only thing that matters at that point. 60 hz note at 80 db SPL is the same from the rooms perspective doesn’t matter if came from a box speaker, open baffle speaker, open baffle sub, vented sub, sealed sub or instrument

Another way to look at it. If you throw 3” ball of granite and a 3” ball of limestone into a lake the water is still going to ripple the same.

The room responds to pressure and frequency. Adding absorptive treatment attenuates the pressure. Most small rooms it’s practically impossible to get enough 703 in them to attenuate the low frequency energy to an optimum level.

The way OB vs box speakers load the room sounds and feels different. DD offered some explanation why it might be that way.

My dedicated room has a sliding glass door into the kitchen. It’s a weird addition they added onto the house before I bought it, it works wonderfully as a music room. The room has over 20 diaphragmatic absorbers in it. When I walk from the music room to the kitchen—which is open to the living room—the bass drastically changes. It looses all the texture and intricacy of the bass and the room modes show up.

I’ve never tried using this website before so hope this works. I took 2 of those large air packs they use as packing filler. I held my phone in one hand and the air pack in the other. I recorded one in the music room the other in the kitchen.

You should be able to clearly hear the difference between the two. This is a much higher frequency than bass however, the same effect happens in the bass regions. We are so used to hearing all the extra noise in the low frequencies we don’t know what it can sound like when all the extra noise is removed.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! IT’S LOUD! START LOW VOLUME!

https://voca.ro/1jb61tS0CEhI

https://voca.ro/1iGTepR1rAi6

Listen to how different the two sound. Not just the pop the crinkling noise too.

EDIT: Spelling

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 10/04/23 at 11:23:46

Quote:
Doesn’t matter the design of the speaker. Once the sound leaves the speaker the waves travel all around the room. The room is the only thing that matters at that point. 60 hz note at 80 db SPL is the same from the rooms perspective doesn’t matter if came from a box speaker, open baffle speaker, open baffle sub, vented sub, sealed sub or instrument

True, but all mentioned above load the room to different degrees in milliseconds. Open baffle single driver and an instrument provide similar lighter loads by cancellation. Vented and sealed can easily overload a room in short order with large(long) fundamental waves and harmonics.
Musical instruments are meant to resonate as well as open baffle speakers. This resonance emulates at a point creating early cancelations producing tone. Sealed and ported speakers are braced and resonate at their own box frequency offering much less cancellation on the frequency(s) being produced by the driver.
My thoughts anyway.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 10/04/23 at 12:50:15

Quote:
True, but all mentioned above load the room to different degrees in milliseconds. Open baffle single driver and an instrument provide similar lighter loads by cancellation. Vented and sealed can easily overload a room in short order with large(long) fundamental waves and harmonics.
Musical instruments are meant to resonate as well as open baffle speakers. This resonance emulates at a point creating early cancelations producing tone. Sealed and ported speakers are braced and resonate at their own box frequency offering much less cancellation on the frequency(s) being produced by the driver.

I'm in agreement with what you have said. I wasn't as clear as I could be.

That's all before it "leaves" the speaker or instrument. I'll try an analogy.

An observer is sitting in a room. A tennis ball flys through the window bounces around knocks a few things over and comes to rest. It doesn't matter if it was thrown, hit with a tennis racket or shot from a tennis ball launcher. The room and observer saw what they saw. Once the ball entered the room the ball took the path it took. The method of getting the ball into the room doesn't matter. From the observed data, there is no way to know which method was used to get the ball into the room.

Same thing with speakers once the energy leaves the speaker the room takes over and the energy must go somewhere. The room processes energy, how the room process the energy has more of an impact of how sound sounds than the source.

The two audio clips show how two different rooms process energy and how it sounds different.

I've heard people say the room is 50-70% of the final sound. On the low side if 50% of the final sound is controlled by the room, Correcting room issues is going to give a better value per dollar than swapping out components. My experience is diaphragmatic absorbers are hands down the best from a performance perspective for the lower frequencies which are also the hardest to manage.

If diaphragmatic absorbers are not an option, I found the GR-Research OB subs to sound better than the SVS sealed box sub. As JBZen and DD mentioned the way the OB subs load the room is different than a box.

This isn't true, but this is how I wrap my head around how OB bass is different. Let's say the subs are square to the room. They are moving the air in one plane (forward and backward) while a box speaker is moving air in 3 dimensions.

Another analogy, take a bath tub filled half way with water. Put you hand in and move it back and forth quickly in the tub. That's OB bass. Once the water settles smack the water with your palm that's box bass. This is not accurate however, this is what the differences feel like to me.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 10/04/23 at 13:29:03

Diaphragmatic absorbers done right are definitely a cure for bloated(pressurized) bass. Those are like a paper towel wicking up a puddle of water.
The corner DAs that are in the charoit soaked up the 50/60 hz standing waves well. Before placement of the absorbers the room had overhang of bass in theater mode. After, the volume could be turned up more without any overhang. Also, in stereo mode the room can handle larger drivers as compared to the single 6" full rangers that were previously used.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 10/04/23 at 15:24:41

Hi, Groovy, I'm going to play along with your analogies to further express what I have found.

What if instead of slamming a tennis ball into the room some how, we slammed a ping pong ball in, instead.

I never meant to imply that the "quality" of the pressurizing frequencies are significantly different between an open box "figure eight" pattern and a typical boxed omnidirectional pattern.
It is the "quantity" that can make a difference, being that a large portion of the pressure is cancelled at the source with an open box pattern.

Yes, it can still overload a room. We are still dealing with the same slow, lazy long wavelength low frequencies. You could still benefit from some room treatments that can affect those big slow, lazy wavelengths.

Another consideration I barely touched at is that in an open baffle pattern, the ratio of direct and first reflection information is a bit greater than the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th reflections, which tend to further complicate attaining clarity, when compared to a typical boxed onmidirectional radiation pattern.

I would love to site some examples, but all this stuff is what I studied fifteen to twenty years ago and I doubt I could find the references these days. But, I'll try.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 10/10/23 at 16:50:17

The Head Wreckers could seriously overload Steve’s listening room. Palomino said that he was in there and people were saying the Head Wreckers had too much bass. He pulled out his phone db meter and it was 95db! that’s a @#^# ton of pressure! Sunday morning My brother, Pal and myself were listening to the Head Wreckers at a much much lower volume and the bass was appropriate to the rest of the music.

Steve’s listening room has two openings to the rest of the shop. So when people are talking and laughing outside of the listening room, the sound carries in. In response people turn up the volume. With how clean the system pumps out music, it’s easy to lose track of how loud you are listening. The music gets louder and in response people talk louder. So if you hear people saying that the Head Wreckers had too much bass I would keep in mind that the SPL levels were 10-30+ db louder than most of us listen to on a regular basis.

The point of the tennis ball analogy is that once the ball enters the room—once the wave leaves the speaker—it doesn’t matter how it got there. It’s in the domain of the room. The room and what is in it manages the energy.

In THE MASTER HANDBOOK OF ACOUSTICS F. Alton Everest FOURTH EDITION There is study cited. they measured 50 British living rooms. The average reverb decay RT60 at 100 Hz is .69 seconds. I really wish they had done down to 20 Hz. In another section shows an example of reverb times, at 50-60 Hz it’s over 2 seconds of reverb! 6” of fiberglass doesn’t do much at all to help with anything under 125 Hz. Going to 60 Hz is exponentially more difficult to absorb.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 10/10/23 at 18:34:04

Single-driver speakers are being accused of creating too much bass?...now I need to hear the Headwreckers, I am more intrigued than ever...

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 10/11/23 at 12:17:23

Ghost, see my fest post about the headwreckers.  As mentioned in this thread, that room was loaded.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 10/11/23 at 14:57:58

Hey, Groovy, We are on the same page and I get your clever tennis ball analogy.

My main comment was to use a lighter ball, which is what I find very pleasing about open baffle presentation of bass in general.
But you can still have too much.
I'm with ya!

I don't want to become like the proverbial room full of blind men describing an elephant for the first time, each description differing greatly over the same thing.

Grin

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #71 - 10/18/23 at 16:37:40

I recently watched two reviews by the Audiophiliac on smaller subwoofers, and two caught my attention: the REL T/5x and the KEF KC62. My room is small, so a smaller sub suffices. To that end, I hesitate as I have had a sub in the past, not the ones mentioned, that disappointed me. I did a trial on the SVS Micro 3000 and returned it at the end of the trial period. I read reviews of subs here on the Decware Forum, and people generally had a good report for the REL T/5x. I did not find any reviews for the KEF. The two have a big price difference, and the RELs have an excellent reputation. I have also noticed that a few people seemed to have an initial positive take on their subwoofer, then later pulled the sub for various reasons.

My questions are: Is there anyone using the KEF KC62 that would share their experience? Second, are any long-time users of the REL T/5x that have kept using them? Similarly, are there any users that stopped using them after a while, they stopped using them for some reason?

A friend will loan me her sub for a while, a standard smallish Elac, to experiment again in my room. That will refresh my memory and contribute to the investigation.

Thanks, Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 10/18/23 at 18:30:06

I had the earlier version, REL T/5 (not the 5x).  I owned it for about 3 years.  It integrated decently with solid state amps but never could get it to sound good with my Decware amps and high efficiency speakers.
I firmly believe that the Decware amps sounded so much better than the solid state amps I was using that it is not that the REL integrated better with the solid state amps, but rather that I couldn't tell because the overall sound quality wasn't there.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 10/19/23 at 12:14:05

Quote:
Single-driver speakers are being accused of creating too much bass?...now I need to hear the Headwreckers, I am more intrigued than ever...

My retelling was a result of whisper down the lane, I didn't ask any clarifying questions. The reason I mentioned it is, It's so easy to overload most rooms. It's even easier when you don't realize how much pressure energy you are shoving in there.

When played at an appropriate level for the room they didn't have too much bass.

DD, I hear you. Sound is something we all connect to yet it's so difficult to explain and convey to others what our perception is.

I don't have much experience with subs. From a musical enjoyment POV, I wonder if having an automatic reverse volume control on subwoofers would solve some of the subwoofer issues.

Preamp at low volume the sub would play louder, as the preamp volume goes up the would slowly turn down its volume. This could be tuned to the room. Low volume listening one could enjoy a rich full sound. As the volume is increased and room modes start to show up the sub would output significantly less SPL in reference to the main speakers vs low level listening.

The reason I mention this is I've had the best results when I setup the sub to be ideal at my most common listening level, then backing it off a smidge. Adding a subwoofer shrinks the SPL vs enjoyment zone.

Subwoofers also can create phase issues. Common practice is to place a subwoofer so there is as smooth of a response as possible. This means that there is fight going on between the main speakers, subwoofer and room. The theory is that the subwoofer cancels out the bass wave of the main speakers to give a better frequency response. That means it's out of phase.

If you have a 10db suckout and want to fill it in with a sub you need to have the sub frequency out of phase with the main speakers.

Let's say there is a setup where phase isn't an issue. How does the subs sound signature and the speakers sound signature blend? My brother is almost done getting his GR-Research NX Extremes and Triple Threat subs completed. Danny Richie designed them to work together. In theory they should sound good together.

My guess is that the sound signature of the Triple Threat subs and PAP Quintets was just enough different that it bothered me. If I had changed tubes, would I have been 100% happy? I don't know.

Matching sub to speakers and room is much more complex than finding a pair of speakers that make one happy.

Subwoofers are generally heavy, difficult to place and time consuming to fine tune to the system.

Tony, That's great that you have someone you can borrow a sub from to try! Have you looked into the Omega sub? Seeing that it's the same manufacturer as your speakers, it might be the best synergy.

Gilf, We are on the same page.

I suggest going for stereo subs—you can start with a single. There many out there who will say how it doesn't make a difference. Thing is we listen with our bodies. Bass travels through the floor and then up through our feet and we sense it. We are sensitive enough to perceive direction of this vibration. Vibrations travel faster through the ground than the air. This is natural. If you are in the forrest and a tree falls, you will feel the impact before you hear it. #$^@ does it shake the ground!

I'm guessing this is one of the reasons I never was thrilled with listening to headphones.

Elder Island - Garden. This song that you can feel the bass coming before it arrives. The LP the rumble comes from the right and the digital the rumble comes from the left which bothers me. As a side note. The Torii MKV is with Don at Cryotone getting treated. The Tubecube 3.5w el84 amp  I don't feel the bass before hearing it. The bass isn't nearly as clean and tight. Also the rumbly bass comes straight on not from the left.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #74 - 10/19/23 at 16:13:25

GroovySauce suggested to me:

Tony, That's great that you have someone you can borrow a sub from to try! Have you looked into the Omega sub? Seeing that it's the same manufacturer as your speakers, it might be the best synergy.

I will contact Louis and ask.  In the meantime, does anyone know a Decware Forum member that is looking to sell an Omega Sub?  If so, please pass along my interest.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #75 - 10/24/23 at 17:13:52

After a week of experimenting with a "loaned" subwoofer in my system, I wanted to report back that it has gone much better than my first experience with an SVS Micro 3000 subwoofer that I returned last year. I am trying to figure out how to account for this current success, perhaps more to do with expectations and patience on my part than the products themselves.  

The best part is that my neighbor recommended that I keep the subwoofer for now so I can continue learn and enjoy from it. I continue to follow the KEF KC62 Subwoofer, and if someone in Decware Land has experience with that product, please jump in.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 10/25/23 at 15:55:05

Quote:
If you have a 10db suckout and want to fill it in with a sub you need to have the sub frequency out of phase with the main speakers

When placing the set of DJ refrigerator size subs in my room there was little option of where to place those because of size. At first the bass was nonexistent at the sweet spot. The setting was the same as when attached to the Wicked One of no phase shift, 12 o'clock volume level, and 40hz cut off.
The phase was then adjusted 180 degrees out which gave the system a good tactical boost from the subs but also added some bloating and ill defined bass notes.
Next the volume was backed off to the 10 o'clock level and phase returned to zero prompted by watching the Sunday football game. Those broadcasts add some powerful synthetic bass at times that literally shook my whole being. Albeit ill defined at the noon level. After backing to 10am actual bass notes being played sounded surprising well and true to life in the sweet spot.
I kept the AV settings the same on the subs when listening on the stereo loop and now experence the best bass that has ever been produced in the Charoit. Nice clear attacks on bass strings. On the right music(Jennifer Warnes "Way Down Deep") my entire torso was resonating on those low notes.
I think once the sub is tuned to low bass producing music for realistic reproduction the settings will suffice on all the rest that might be fed to it.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 12/12/23 at 14:28:08

I bought the sealed box, base level servo sub kit from GR Research and I have to say I’m pretty impressed.  I haven’t had that many subs (4-5) but this one is the most musical yet.  Tight, capture the tone and textures and just really cleaned up my low end (<40hz).

I built most of the cabinet on Sunday and finished it in a couple hours yesterday.  I plugged it in and adjusted the phase (continuous), crossover and gain by ear.  I’ll do measurements and tweaking later.  

It does a great job adding pressure to the room without overloading the room.  And as advertised, the bass stops quickly and has no bloat.  Even at low volumes you feel it in your chest.  

For $850 including the no rez and the MDF I bought it’s a great value.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 12/12/23 at 16:54:27

Hey Pal,

I’ve looked at the servo subs off and on, but I was concerned that a box sub might not integrate well with open baffle main speakers. It sounds like your results show that my concerns weren’t well founded. Good to know. Thanks for the report, and keep us informed with more observations.

Randy

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 12/12/23 at 17:17:03

Yeah there’s still some work to be done, but after only spending 10 minutes on it, I got a very acceptable result.  

The key was the phase control.  Instead of a 0 or 180 setting it has a continuous dial where you can really get the sub in sync with your mains.   Maybe that’s available on a lot of subs but it’s my first experience with it.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 12/13/23 at 00:00:43

Thanks for sharing your experience, Pal.

Randy

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 12/21/23 at 20:56:40

No problem with this sub going 20Hz, even lower.  Again, it allows you to feel the bass without overloading the room.

I am still working through some bumps, like one I have at 50 and a dip at 400.  Using REW now and dialing it in.  I have both the controls on the amp and on my crown amp.  I'm thinking of adding a capacitor to the P10 to roll off below 200-300 Hz.

I'm serioulsy thinking about buying another kit for my second system.  I had no idea how much sloppy bass was getting in the way of the music.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 12/23/23 at 04:54:22

I think that there is a Rythmik sub in my 2024 plans. Although I’ll probably buy one already assembled. With my never-ending home remodel, and a few other things in the works, I could see another project dragging on. Anyway Pal, thanks for lighting a fire under me - slow burning as it is.

Randy

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 12/23/23 at 14:17:16

I worked on it yesterday.  Probably 50 measurements of the sub, woofers and P10.  P10 kinda is what it is although I can boost the volume the zbit.  I still may consider adding a high pass cap.

Most of the tweaking has been with the AE15 and the sub.  AE15 is currently set at 600Hz which is higher than I've ever had it, but it helps offset some of the dips in the P10.  I'm not sure it will stay that high.

Sub still hits 20hz (and below) easily.  I have a dip at 40hz that I may use the single band EQ on the amp to boost.  You can control where the boost is and how wide a freq range you want to boost.

I have to be honest, with all the adjustments, I'm not sure that its that much better than tuning it by ear.  The graph looks better though.  I am going to fuss with it a bit more today to boost the sub slightly and demphasize the mids.

Keeps me off the streets.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #84 - 12/23/23 at 14:37:33

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 12/23/23 at 15:28:39

I like a nice black worm for bass myself.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 12/24/23 at 11:49:28

When I was messing with DSP and convolution filters I found I liked a slow rise in the bass, similar to the ZROCK curve. What do you want the graph to look like?

For me getting into the ball park with REW measurements, first figuring out the phase then crossover point. Finally tuning by ear, I got the best results.

Another trick I learned was to blend the sub in with only one channel first, even with one sub. Then the other channel. Once it looks good for both channels doing the final voicing in stereo adjusting the gain/volume on the sub until it suited my taste.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 12/24/23 at 13:23:35

I'm kinda approaching it like cooking.  Following the recipe and then adjust to taste.

The recipe is as flat as I can get it from 15hz to 200hz because people often talk about a flat response.

Yesterday, I didn't take any measurements.  Just listened and adjusted to taste.   Today if I get a chance I'll measure to see what it is that I like.

I did cheat a little and used my phone ap to see the shape of the curve and it does seem to rise in that region.

So far, the results are really good.  I can't remember the track that I listened to yesterday but the musicality of the bass player really came through in a way it never had before.  I'll try to find it and post.

I was surprised by another old audiophile track - Duende by Bozzio Levin Stevens.  My old sub kept the bass pretty clean but this was a whole new world.  Sounded like a different recording.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #88 - 12/24/23 at 17:35:39

This is my latest experiment with the PT10.  In their present location in our room there is a large peak at 58Hz.  

So besides fixing that it has allowed me to stop using the Gizmo2 to tip the response.

It has been my experience that these drivers show the veil of passive crossover parts better than any other driver I have ever played with. This approach is so far working rather well.  Better transparency, flatter overall response across the board.   And hats off to Roon because usually digital correction ruins as much as it seems to fix.  

We'll see how long I stick with it.

WWW   IP Logged
Gilf
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 12/27/23 at 12:10:49

I stumbled on Paul Simon’s “Stranger to Stranger” this morning. It has some interesting articulated bass rhythms going on that are magical if your speakers can produce it, and entirely disappear if not. This is an easy album to pass off as just another newer album or just another work by Simon, but really has some good stuff within.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 12/27/23 at 14:58:26

From Steve: "And hats off to Roon because usually digital correction ruins as much as it seems to fix."

Hey Steve.... That looks like some intense EQ compared to what I have been used to doing over the years. Nice it seems to work. I look forward to how you feel about it with time.

Maybe that my adjustments are subtler, or I have just been lucky, but with Pure Music, Audirvana, and Amarra, I have always found EQ fine tuning in the player, and direct on the files notably more natural and real sounding than none. Not easy to get right across recordings, but a really good tool to me for balancing the system and room, especially once it is "mastering" most all the masters together.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 12/27/23 at 18:26:09

https://imgur.com/gallery/iIFWpUe

Seems I have lost the ability to post from Imgur.  Anyway the link above is what I’ve achieved.   P10 wide open.  AE15 low passed at 400hz.  Sub crossed about 70hz.

I don’t really know what I’m doing but so far it sounds pretty good.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #92 - 12/27/23 at 18:41:49

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 12/27/23 at 18:48:02

You must teach me the way of the photo.  Maybe it’s because I am using the Imgur phone ap.

IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #94 - 12/30/23 at 21:29:15

Hi all, what software do most of you use to measure your frequency  response in your rooms?

Thanks and happy new year!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 12/30/23 at 21:49:46

REW what I use.  Free and pretty powerful.  

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

On my phone so the link may not work.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 12/30/23 at 22:24:42

It's also mandatory to have a calibrated mic. I use the UMIK-1 available from MiniDSP.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 12/31/23 at 00:05:09

I use a usb Umm6 from parts express.

IP Logged
Dave B.S.
Verified Member

Reply #98 - 12/31/23 at 00:56:10

Thanks for the helpful responses.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #99 - 01/02/24 at 01:08:10

I really tried but 3 days was as long as I could take it.  While making the room measure better there was something I didn't like about it.  I began to hate the speakers.

Deleted the Roon EQ. I fixed the bass hole by putting the speakers back where I had them. The hole had been created by pushing them back 12 inches.

As for the rest, I went back to using the Gizmo2 and a ZROCK.  Speakers sound really good now again. ZROCK set basically flat, just for tone because the DAC is clinical.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print