04/29/24 at 04:01:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Technics SL-1200 MKII (Read 763 times)
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Technics SL-1200 MKII
07/03/23 at 17:12:16

After finding a stash of 100 or so records in storage I took our turntable out of storage/hibernation because records. Currently the tone arm sports a Stanton 680EL cart with a red tipped D6800EL stylus but I wasn’t so enthused about the audio as the midrange seemed “scooped out.” I did spent some time with a Turntable Labs protractor to get the alignment squared away so I’m thinking I might want to try a different cart, but I have zero listening experience to guide me. Who has a favorite?

IP Logged
MikeW
Verified Member

Re: Technics SL-1200 MKII
Reply #1 - 09/15/23 at 21:54:41

Those are great old tables......some good info in the link below

Some good info over at vinylengine dot com. Can't post a link. Still too new here.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 09/17/23 at 17:38:45

I assume that you meant a favorite cartridge. Go to LP Gear and browse a bit. You can also ask them what cart would be best suited for you TT. Yah, it matters. Different cartridge compliances (of the cantilever) and cartridge weight and so forth are factors when considering a replacement.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/18/23 at 13:11:13

Thank you. In the past two months I read a zillion reviews to no avail, so I did pick up an Ortofon Red as a starting point. Better than the Stanton but I feel like there’s improvement to be gained so a Blue stylus is next.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print