Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 15:24:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZSTYX wire (ing) question (Read 2198 times)
Zoeydogg
Verified Member

ZSTYX wire (ing) question
06/23/23 at 03:46:00

Two questions: Just placed an order for a 16' pair that will replace my Kimber 8TC wire. I've had the Kimber for 5 years or so and just got the itch to purchase the ZSTYX, hoping it will be an improvement. The wire will run under the floor. Hanging from the ceiling of the crawl space, I support the wire with gaffers tape shaped to make a cradle with the top park tacked to the beams. The tape is passes thru a cradle every three feet in order for the wire to not have too much slack. Question number 1 - Do you think the Decware wire will best the Kimber? Question #2 would it make more sense to replace my cradle set up and purchase plastic tubing to support the wire?  Thanks for your kind attention and suggestions!

Smiley

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: ZSTYX wire (ing) question
Reply #1 - 06/23/23 at 04:26:47

My 2 cents:

#1 I can’t say, the ZSTYX cable is really good, but 8TC is also good stuff. I’m very interested in your experience.

#2  I don’t know how much sense it makes, but I like the idea of using this stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HYDROMAXX-1-1-2-in-x-100-ft-Flexible-Corrugated-Oran...

In my previous life we would run our network cables through it inside of conduit. I’m a big fan of gaffer tape, but this is a little more elegant IMO.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #2 - 06/23/23 at 17:18:01

the best dielectric is "air" - the less that touches your wire, the better.  I would not put the ZSTYX inside plastic conduit, flexible or rigid, unless you feel you need it for "protection" since it's in a crawl space.  ZSTYX is insulated with PTFE... which is a pretty robust material.  
The wire ZSTYX is made from is mil-spec wire used as wiring in military aircraft... M22759/11-8
https://www.ryanelectronics.com/products/m2275911/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIppKtgeXZ_wI...

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Zoeydogg
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/23/23 at 18:49:56

Thanks, Maddog07. I suspected as much, allowing for the speaker wire to hang free excepting the handful of cradles to keep the wire from drooping too much. Any experience with the ZSTYX wire?

IP Logged
Zoeydogg
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/23/23 at 18:51:13

Meaning how it performs vis a' vis the Kimber 8TC?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 06/25/23 at 17:03:29

Very interested in this thread. Back in the day the store I worked at sold a lot of Kimber products (and still own a few). Ray was a great person to learn from and we had a lot of successful demos using the least expensive receiver and least expensive speakers to compare his 4PR (least expensive speaker wire) with anything else...Anyway, my 8TC isn't long enough enymore so it sits unused. Curious what maddog07 meant in his reference to the mil spec wire linked, any idea what Steve did with that wire for his old ZStyx speaker cable. I wish that my gear could be relocated closer to my speakers but that's not an option. Great thread, really want to read what Zoeydogg's comments are when the new cable arrives. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 06/25/23 at 17:40:55

I’ve never seen actual ZSTYX cable but my impression is he didn’t do anything more than terminate it. I need very short speaker cables (one of many reasons I like mono blocs) and since Steve is nice enough to provide the part number I found a remainder roll of the cable. I cut it to length, stripped the ends, slapped on bananas and in about 3 minutes I had great sounding speaker cables.

IP Logged
Zoeydogg
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/25/23 at 19:12:09

Thanks, hdrider. I'll let you know how they sound vs the Kimber.

And thanks CAJames. Glad you like the ZSTYX wire. I popped for Steve to terminate mine. BTW, I see you have Omega SAM's (Super Alnico Monitors). I ordered a pair 3 months ago - still waiting on delivery. Much to look forward too.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 06/26/23 at 05:33:46

The SAMs are fantastic speakers, and like Decware, very much worth the wait. Just be warned that they can sound pretty rough out of the box. Mine took like 20 hour to be listenable, and another 30 before they started sounding good. But once you get through that they start sounding amazing.

IP Logged
Zoeydogg
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 06/26/23 at 12:54:56

Thanks, CA.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #10 - 08/14/23 at 18:53:31

Zoeydogg- did you get your speaker wire from Steve? What's the comparison with the Kimber 8TC? Just curious sir. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Zoeydogg
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 08/14/23 at 20:05:25

It's due to arrive on Wednesday. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks after I burn it in a bit.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #12 - 08/14/23 at 23:07:54

Please do, and have you gotten a package from Louis yet? Happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
Zoeydogg
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 08/14/23 at 23:11:39

Not yet, probably in a couple of weeks. I'll post my findings once I sort thru how each component affects my system.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print