04/29/24 at 06:31:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Free records (Read 3342 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

Free records
06/21/23 at 00:33:50

Well sort of, there's always a catch. $8 shipping EACH. I've read even though it appears, you may not be able to add to the cart, stuff disappears from the cart, etc.

Anyhow, check it out if you have patience.
https://tinyurl.com/4v84bbcc

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Free records
Reply #1 - 06/21/23 at 01:51:06

I bought a few. The trick is. . .they only allow you to order one at a time.

Let's hope it's not a glitch they decide not to honor.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/21/23 at 04:33:05

I’m thinking it’s a tax write off and they make some off the shipping. The “sale” started a few days ago, I just learned about it today. I haven’t ordered any…yet.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 06/21/23 at 05:37:33

I had purchased albums from them a few months ago.  Out of nowhere I get this text from them to pick my favorite music type.  The hyperlink led me to the free albums in my category.  Hence I already have 3 albums in route with different tracking numbers.     Didn’t know if they tracked usage by email, so I used 3 different emails I own.  Just ordered 4 more and all went through.  

Dom  

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 06/22/23 at 00:23:50

Wow, I am almost skittish about free. $8 shipping. No problem, but so you can only order one at a time? Because I never owned it, I ordered Goats Head soup. Tell me this isn't a crazy/strange deal here.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/22/23 at 01:21:00

Someone over at needles n grooves forum posted to add everything you want to the wishlist. He was then able to order two at a time. Also, it seems to died off a bit, but some of the sold outs bounce back to in stock.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 06/22/23 at 03:09:16

Thanks Sean, for the explanation.

This sort of thing is new to me.... wait a minute! Pick Out Your First 10 Albums For A Penny! Then agree to 'club prices' for the next 10 albums. Ok, yes, I'm that old.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 06/22/23 at 04:13:24

I do have one important question and that is who stamps these records, and what sort of quality are they? Any critiques that you might like to share?

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 06/22/23 at 07:12:49

So far I ordered a total of like 7 albums.  I just got my first album (U2: Actung Baby) today.  Due to an upcoming family wedding, I probably won’t t get to cleaning and playing it until possibly the beginning of next week.  I’ll keep you posted on the quality.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/22/23 at 16:57:36

4krow, some of the pressing are obvious like the Natty Dread, 1/2 speed remaster from Abbey Road. Those have been pretty good from my limited experience. Most of the others require a bit of research. Discogs is usually the best resource for finding more detailed info.

For example, the first listing in the sale, Goats Head Soup. I copied the UPC and pasted into discogs which gives this page:
https://www.discogs.com/release/15867805-The-Rolling-Stones-Goats-Head-Soup

First thing I usually do is scroll down to the reviews. If a pressing is no good, there are usually a few reviews that reflect that.

Looks like Goats Head Soup was pressed by GZ Media in Czech Republic. I generally try to avoid anything with MADE IN CZECH, or Made in EU stickers. The copyright laws there are fuzzy and sometimes these are outright bootlegs or not official releases. However, in this instance it looks like this pressing is legit. I can't say for sure, but I think Sound of Vinyl is one of Universal Music's official stores so my expectation is none of the listings are outright junk.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 06/22/23 at 17:32:30

Thanks again Sean. I did look at my order, and it is a single 180gram album by the label Interscope Records. Not much info on them except that they are based in the US. I will just have to see what I think when the album arrives.
I felt a bit greedy as I ordered Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection. I already own a copy which a great recording to have. This one coming is a solid green vinyl record. Didn't even look to see the label. I think that's it for me, unless there is something outstanding to get.
Saw a new release of Tubular Bells, but the second LP is just a bunch of different takes on tracks. Would rather have a single heavy album instead.
Got to listening yesterday at I'm sorry I don't remember the title, but it is recordings of the galaxies/black holes, and much more, taken from telescope samples then remade into audio frequencies. Rarely does a recording bother me so. Deep and eerie.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/23/23 at 00:58:40

Copied this from needles n grooves:
just now a LP was delivered like others have mentioned no tracking info emailed and on SOV website order marked as unfulfilled.

I had this conversation with my wife
Me: think of all the cardboard they’re using to fulfill these orders.
Her: Maybe they are all prepacked.
Me: Oh god, we’re all going to get random albums.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 06/26/23 at 20:37:31

So I just tried the link to order some more vinyl, and it looks like the promotion is over. All the albums are now regular price.  No complains here…I grabbed 8 albums and so far I received  4 of them.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 06/26/23 at 21:03:22

I grabbed 10 and have received 8 so far. It was a great deal!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 07/08/23 at 20:03:12

I got the 2 albums in. One was Goats Head Soup, and the recording is ok, not as bad as I have encountered in the past. The other is Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection. Again, ok recording but in this case, it is off center. I believe that both of these albums were pressed 'in Europe'. And no folks, I won't be tempted to by labels from 'over there' again.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/13/23 at 20:02:21

I ordered ONE record, Natty Dread, just got an email it was canceled. Funny because it shows as in stock. Not too upset, I already had a copy but wanted to compare this 1/2 speed Abbey Road to the Island copy.

I've seen people get 10 or more copies of the same record, I think one guy got 25 Elton John's and an email his order was canceled. Funny stuff happens when the boss goes on vacation!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 07/13/23 at 22:37:52

I got lucky. I ordered 9 (different, single copy each) LPs and got 8, delivered in three batches over a week. One I did not get. . . I'm not going to bug them to get 8 bucks back.

I read on another forum that originally the sale was announced in emails to subscribers to the site and was meant to be one free record per persons. They didn't control that.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #17 - 07/14/23 at 15:58:34

Lon…that’s true.  I got an email and text msg for one free record as a person who had ordered from them in the past.  I was reluctant to share my customized link because I thought it may be associated  and tied to my account on the back end of their server.  I ordered 8 records and two of them turned  out to be complete duds. No complaints though… the rest were very good.

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 07/14/23 at 16:04:16

Thanks for verifying that. The fact is that the word got out--of course it would--and even if not it was easy to see the free records as just viewing the inventory by "Lowest price first" showed the records for "$0.00" . . . .

And I don't feel sorry for Sound on Vinyl if this hurts their bottom line. . . they are just an outlet for Universal Music, one of the biggest corporations around.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print