Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 07:35:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen Triode driving Acoustic Energy AE109? (Read 575 times)
bebobalula
Verified Member

Zen Triode driving Acoustic Energy AE109?
06/12/23 at 11:36:31

Hi all,

I am currently still enjoying my pants off listening to my Acoustic Energy AE109 mk1, driven by an old Luxman L309, feeded Qobuz HiRes through a Chord Mojo2. But... I have always wondered what a tube amp would do for me sound wise. Lately I've gotten enthousiastic reading about the Zen Triode (the first model) and am wondering if my 90dB sensitive, 6 ohm speakers would play nice with this little amp.

Does anybody have experience using this setup?

Thanks,
Bob

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Zen Triode driving Acoustic Energy AE109?
Reply #1 - 06/12/23 at 15:05:03

First, welcome to the site!

I don't know the speakers you are using, but I am a big fan of Luxman so must have have very good taste . I will say just based on the math that depending on your room and how loud you like to listen 2 watts may not enough considering most speakers are less sensitive than the manufacturer advertises. If you have a small room and/or listen at low levels it could work but the wait for an amp is long (you know about the waiting list, don't you?) and it would be a shame to get an amp that wasn't right after a long wait. Of course you can get a higher powered Decware amp, or you can get two of the UFO amps and use them as mono blocs. You can see page 17 of the UFO manual for details:

https://www.decwareproducts.com/_files/ugd/f1f204_e1b8a7c7f5f74930ae24a5c7b28d10...

I did this and liked it so much I got back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25 amps. There are many helpful posters on this site and I'm sure you will get other opinions and ideas.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print