Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:07:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP3+ capacitor uograde (Read 1697 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

CSP3+ capacitor uograde
05/17/23 at 13:03:08

So I'm sending my CSP3+ with original poly caps (signal & 25th Anniversary bypass) back to the mothership for Miflex signal and bypass capacitors to be installed. Sarah tells me it's s 3-4 week turn around on repairs/upgrades. I thought it best to get her ready now for the Sarah 300B amp arrival, although that's a ways off.

I'm looking forward to hearing the differences when she returns to the line up. In the meantime, my trusty old Eastern Electric MiniMax will be performing preamp duties. I've got it burning in now, so in a day or two should be sounding marvelous. The MiniMax (pt. to pt. wired) is a solid performer.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: CSP3+ capacitor uograde
Reply #1 - 05/21/23 at 08:05:39

Roger….the 3-4 week turnaround for repairs/upgrades is what I was told as well, when I acquired about sending in my SE84C+ for the full upgrades.  I will probably send my Zen amp back next month.  

Please post your your impressions once you get the CSP3 back.  I’ve been itching to send in my ZSTAGE for the upgrades as well…but the thought about going without a preamp for that long is not going to be fun.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/01/23 at 20:16:39

Wow, two week turnaround on new caps. Looks like it will ship tomorrow. Then some burn in time.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 06/10/23 at 16:50:31

Roger…..wow two weeks.  That’s impressive!  I’m sure it’s going to sound amazing even out of the box.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/10/23 at 17:30:40

Last Saturday I mailed my Taboo Mk IV with the 25th Anniversary mods in for a repair and it is out for delivery back to me today. That's the fastest turnaround I've ever experienced from any manufacturer or builder.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/11/23 at 04:27:36

Maybe that is because it is you, Uncle Lon.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/11/23 at 09:47:22

I think it just hit at the right moment.  And I live so much closer now--mailing time back and forth is very short.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/11/23 at 13:16:11

After 20 hours with the Miflex signal and bypass capacitors here is my impression. They sound very good. The soundstage has not yet fully developed, particularly the depth on familiar recordings. There is some additional emphasis on upper mid and treble frequencies at this point.

I expect that things will even out and further develop over the next 100-150 hours. I'll post additional observations when I hit those marks.

HK

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 06/11/23 at 16:40:35

I have had Jupiter caps in the 25th anniversary mod formation in a ZROCK2 and had that converted to Miflex when it was sent back for a bypass wiring correction.

I think the biggest difference I heard was that "slight additional emphasis on upper mid and treble frequencies" between the Jupiter and Miflex. After breakin as well. That is also what I hear right now with the Miflex compared to the Jupiter in the Taboo (though the Taboo is now only on it's third "five on, five off" cycle.) IN a ZROCK2 or with a ZROCK2 this is easily compensated for. I think without a ZROCK2 in the system I might prefer the Jupiter "sound," but apparently they are a bit more problem prone.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/11/23 at 18:54:52

Thanks for your insights Lon. When the caps have fully settled in, I can adjust output on the CSP3 preamp tubes to get everything just right. Just love the flexibility of riding & adjusting the gain on Decware equipment.

Cheers and enjoy your updated amp.

HK

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP3+ capacitor upgrade
Reply #10 - 06/17/23 at 15:50:38

After 85 hours of burn in here's what I can report. The Miflex caps in my CSP3 sound amazingly transparent and articulate as compared to my previous caps. I am listening to a Qobuz playlist Steve developed for the SE84UFO25 release a few years ago.

Attack and decay of notes, tonality of stringed instruments and piano are spot on, and there is a greater sense of presence with live vocal recordings as well. There seems to be a slight loss of soundstage depth on my F15 Magnum baffles, but that simply might mean the caps have more to go.

Overall I'm very impressed with the performance of the new Miflex caps.

HK

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print