Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:10:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My (unintended) Review of the ZLC (Read 1762 times)
ervikingo
Verified Member

My (unintended) Review of the ZLC
05/02/23 at 14:47:31

I sent my ZLC back to Steve for a checkup since I hear a bit of hum.

So today I plugged all 4 amps and Servo Controller straight to the outlets and started listening to Beethoven’s Emperor on SACD. Tonal balance was way off.  Is it my ears?

So I went to my go to track Neil Lofgren’s Keith Don’t Go acoustic live. Full stop, where is the solid bass I’m so used to?

I had to add 5dB of more bass on the Servo to get back to what I’m used to listening.

I was honestly not expecting such an impact since my bass amps are the very large Threshold Stasis 12e.

So after that, I decided to shutoff the bass amps and just listen to my mid/hi towers (powered by Manley Snappers). Well what do you think, I feel like the very high frequencies are not as crisp.

Are my ears playing games or does this make sense circuit wise?

Have a great day!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My (unintended) Review of the ZLC
Reply #1 - 05/02/23 at 15:12:10

The ZLC is a very good component and once you get used to clean power via ZLC or other means. . . it's very hard to go back.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 05/02/23 at 16:42:52

I understand what you saying. I'm not so sure that any line conditioner would make a drastic difference as what you are describing though, unless there was a problem with the AC line that you are using in the first place. Sometimes when I change out equipment, something changes one way or another without reasonable explanation.
In your case, it may be that you have to raise the bass level for example to hear the clarity of the bass line. I am shooting in the dark here. 5 db is a lot. I cannot deny though what I stated above though. One last thing. Is the system connected exactly the way it was before?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
ervikingo
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/02/23 at 20:30:38

I have to agree with you thus my comments.

Only change is plugging directly to the wall outlets.

Nothing else changed.

When it comes back, let’s see if I have to bring down the bass levels by 5dB again. That’s a ton.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 05/02/23 at 23:09:35

Not to worry. I constantly have some sort of mysterious issue with my system! If it's not one thing it's another. Funny though, in my case right now I have way too much bass. Didn't think that would ever be an issue.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
ervikingo
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/03/23 at 16:15:16

I sometimes wonder if its my ears.  Couple of days ago, the system was sounding awesome, some recordings that never sound good were brilliant.  I made a small adjustment on the position of the woofer towers, magic.

Next day I go back and play the same track.  WTH sounds awful, magic is gone.

Is it our ears?

I have to figure out how to do REW (have the microphone and software) and do a before and after ZLC.  Suggestions on how to REW are appreciated

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 05/03/23 at 16:29:28

Boy oh boy can I relate to that! My problem is that I have always made more than one adjustment at a time. Not good. Anyway, yes we are not machines and our equipment changes from time to time, especially when we expect something, and then other times for no reason at all.
I think that some are blissfully unaware of this and enjoy the same equipment for decades.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/05/23 at 10:43:59

IMO, it is not ears. Ears are very consistent with interpretation of sound wave pressure. The problem is with the power. You must be aware of that with your insistence of plugging the system straight into the wall.

Get some sort of power conditioning to enjoy day to day consistent system performance.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/05/23 at 14:55:08

Temperature and humidity have an effect on wood products, too. I live in the high desert and we are getting our spring rains now, and already some days in the upper 80’s. My baffles that are used to the 60’s and zero humidity are sounding rather dull since the weather turned and I attribute it to that.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/07/23 at 10:49:10

Manny,
Your comment makes me wonder how you mounted the F15s in the baffles?
The frame of the F15 is stamped steel. Pressure from expanding unrestricted wood can easily twist/distort the driver frame creating a condition you describe.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/07/23 at 14:09:56

Yes, that is exactly what happens. The wood doesn’t move much but it does move, which consequently will make small changes to the speaker.
Mine are just front mounted with screws. I suppose rear mounting to take advantage of the foam ring would help. It’s something I’ve been putting off because I’m in the middle of moving. After I move I plan to make some new baffles. I’m meantime the drivers are out and I will give the baffles some time to condition in my new home before mounting again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print