Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 18:10:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phono Preamps and ZRock2 Voltage Overdrive (Read 1087 times)
RisingSun
Verified Member

Phono Preamps and ZRock2 Voltage Overdrive
04/23/23 at 02:15:56

Greetings,

I have a ZRock2, fantastic.  I’m venturing into the land of turntables and would like to run a separate phono preamp into the ZRock2.  This will be done with or without a Zen Switch Box.

I realize there is a potential issue with overdriving the ZRock2.  The Decware website and manual say different things.  The website says keep the input voltage under 15 volts.  The manual says keep it under 4 volts.

It has also proved difficult to find RCA (moving magnet) output voltage specs for various phono preamps.  And the specs I do find, are confusing.  Some speak in terms of like 20Vrms, and others in micro volts.

For instance, the PS Audio Stellar Phono says max output 25 volts.  The iFi Zen Phono says 20 volts.  Yet the ASR measurement of the Zen Phono speaks in terms of micro volts for the RCA output.  I spoke with Rob Hall of Music Hall and he insisted that it’s unimaginable that any phono preamp would output anything close to 4 volts.  Schiit says theirs outputs only 2V.

This has left me confused.  

In the world of ZRock2, are phono preamp RCA voltage output specs (in my case MM) something I need to pin down?  Or will any normal phono preamp (with or without a Zen Switch Box) work fine going into a ZRock2?

Thank you.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Re: Phono Preamps and ZRock2 Voltage Overdrive
Reply #1 - 04/23/23 at 17:36:12

Ultimate output of a phono preamp is determined by cartridge output and the gain of the phono stage.

Cartridge output specs are usually given as x millivolts at 5 cm/second @ 1,000 Hz, or sometimes at 3.54 cm/s @ 1,000 Hz. For the latter spec, multiply by 1.41 to get the 5 cm/s equivalent.

In consideration of a multitude of factors, but mostly the upper side of cutting level on most records, 3x the cartridge spec (15 cm/s), for peaks, is usually the most one would expect to encounter. There might be a few occasions where it could be 4x (20 cm/s) or even more, but those outliers only lasting for ~50 milliseconds (1/20th of a second), at most. More likely 20-40 ms. Which is to say, just accounting for 15 cm/s is fine.

On the high side are the Rega MM carts, claiming "6.8-7.2 mV" (I've never seen cart output given as a range before, but . . .), with no parameters given. So then, assuming (as assume we must) 5 cm/s for 7.2 mV, a max cutting level peak of 4x (20 cm/s) would bring it to 28.8 mV at input of the phono pre. For a gain of 42 dB the output from the phono preamp would be 125 x .0288, or 3.6 volts.

At more typical MM output of 5 mV at 5 cm/s, 1,000 Hz,  a peak of 4x the cart spec of 5 cm/s (20 cm/s), would be 20 mV at phono input, and 42 dB gain (125x) would have 2.5 volts at the output.

That 2V spec you are using for the Mani is only their reference for the THD spec, not a max output number. The very high numbers you cite for some other phono stages indicate what the unit is capable of, not that any cartridge would come  close to obtaining that output.

The ~344 mV RMS cited in the ARS (Amateur Scientist Review) iFi Zen report was with 5 mV input at 36 dB (63x) of the MM setting.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 04/23/23 at 19:16:37

Thank you for a CLEAR response/explanation. Things have to be taken from one end to the other in order to understand this. Many specs out there simply imply that bigger is better or offer no idea to the customer as to what they really are referring to. Worse yet are those sorts of specs that only take you part way there as the famous 20-20k response of said product with no mention of range for the spec, such as +/- 3db added.
In fact, I am sort of looking at a higher output cartridge to ameliorate a slightly low output of my present phono stage. Ironically, a second phono stage that I own is incredibly high in gain/output, making for a different sort of want.
  I will stop here before I muddy the waters.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
RisingSun
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/23 at 20:21:20

Edsonic:  wow, thank you for the masterclass level response!  That’s something I never would’ve figured out by reading specs, or even from contacting phono preamp manufacturers.  It’s probably only an issue for the ZRock2, this the pool of interested parties is quite small.

Based on Darko’s review saying it bests his Technics 1210GR with Ortofon Black, I bought the Pro-Ject Debut Pro with Sumiko Rainier cartridge.  The Rainier has an output of 5 mv.  And the upgraded stylus (Moonstone, Wellfleet) are 3 mv.  Based on your expert calculations, that make the output voltage 2.5V or less, and perfectly ok for the ZRock2.  Is that correct?

I have probably $6000 or so invested into my digital side, which sounds great.  I’m quite shocked that the $1000 Pro-Ject, at least on Getz/ Gilberto and Kenny Burrell’s “Midnight Blue” (the only records I own), sounds as good or better.

I spent 90 minutes getting the tonearm balanced using Pro-Ject’s teeter totter stylus scale.  Very difficult, but it did balance perfectly.  Yet when the stylus first hits the record, there’s a loud pop each time, though plays normal after that.  Is that normal for vinyl?

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/23/23 at 22:23:46

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

RisingSun; yes, no worries at all about overloading the ZROCK with a 5 mV cartridge. You don't say what phono preamp you have, or the gain setting, but it should be fine even w/ 48 dB gain.

As for the pop on lowering the arm, two albums are a small sample size, but that initial pop is not rare for some older records. You will likely have better luck with new or well cared for used records.

Edit -

Stupid me. RisingSun, I forgot it was you with the original post! It seems that you are in fact looking for a new phono preamp. So, to reiterate; even 48 dB of gain from a phono stage should not cause trouble for the ZR2, but 40-42 dB should be plenty for a 5 mV cartridge, adequate for a prospective 3 mV cart.

Quote:
Worse yet are those sorts of specs that only take you part way there as the famous 20-20k response of said product with no mention of range for the spec, such as +/- 3db added.

4krow, I hear you! You mean like Omega speakers, which do that very thing?  Within which line-up are the SAM models I am very likely getting myself, insufficient info be damned! Ha. I've been zoned in on the full range driver approach for a while, now, and am going to have a pretty decent subwoofer in any case, so not adamant/concerned about the LF particulars overly much.

IP Logged
RisingSun
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/23/23 at 23:16:05

I’m using the internal phono stage in an integrated amp, but would like to work the ZRock2 in the mix.  The records are brand new from the Verve Acoustic Sounds and Blue Note Classic series, first time ever played.

Just want to discern if the loud pop when the stylus first hits the record is normal, or if I should pursue a replacement from Crutchfield.

I’ve literally not heard a vinyl record since 1979, so I’m not sure what normal is.

Thx

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/23/23 at 23:40:49

I haven't played records for some years myself, nor having had much of a system at all, due to numerous work and living situation changes. All of which should be sorted in a year or so. Some legal foot dragging with the condo to get through first. I bought a used SE84 ~ 9 years ago, but things changed quickly and I never heard it in my own place. It was in storage for 2 months and then I domiciled it in a friend's system.

In any case, I would present the record pop issue in the vinyl forum here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=LPS

You would likely get some helpful responses from current record spinners there.

IP Logged
RisingSun
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/23/23 at 23:42:39

Good idea, thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print