Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 23:23:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help Choosing Tubes for SE84UFO (Read 1721 times)
HiFi Bri

Help Choosing Tubes for SE84UFO
04/12/23 at 23:14:22

I recently purchased a used SE84UFO UFO Zen amp that was originally purchased from Decware earlier this year.

I haven't received it yet but the seller told me the included tubes are what were shipped with the amp, *except* the included EL84s. No mention of the original 6015P-EVs, which seem to be hard to find now.

Assuming I will want to swap out those nameless EL84s, any recommendations on tubes to try?

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Help Choosing Tubes for SE84UFO
Reply #1 - 04/12/23 at 23:30:16

The easy recommendation is to get the power tubes from Decware. Before the war I bought a bunch of (cheap) 6P15P type tubes from the motherland and my personal favorite is the -ER version. My experience with EL84 types is somewhat limited and not positive.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #2 - 04/12/23 at 23:32:50

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing....though it appears they're not currently available from Decware.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/12/23 at 23:40:59

Perhaps that was just a typo, but you should look for 6P15P, and they aren't that hard to find on eBay.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/12/23 at 23:57:29

Forget the EL84s. The amp is not designed for them. And they sound weak as hell in that circuit. Replacement tubes are available from DECWARE which you will never have a problem with them

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 04/13/23 at 00:01:16

Quote:
Posted by: filthnoise      Posted on: Today at 15:32:50

....though it appears they're not currently available from Decware.

Bummer, I did not realize that. As Lon says they are plentiful on ebay, my suggestion would be to buy several, not just a pair because the quality of the tubes is wildly variable in my experience. Depending on how adventurous you are you can try all 3 versions, plain 6P15P and the -EV and -ER. The later two are rated for longer life and extra ruggedness.

Note also the the EL83 is often advertised as being compatible with the 6P15P/SV83 but it is not.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 04/13/23 at 00:05:17

Jim, the tubes have NOT been available via Decware for about a year. . . maybe more. Which is too bad, that's my favorite source. Cryotone sells them. . . abut three to four times the cost.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/13/23 at 00:46:45

Jim,

If you want 6P15P-EV I have two pair.  Not using these in my UFO25 anymore.

One pair is a NOS pair that I bought when I had my SE84UFO2.  It's from Russia and was a back up, never used.

The other is the red tip pair that came with my UFO25.  I'm keeping these to try when I get my UFO25 back from being processed.  I want to see what difference processing the amp makes and then they'll be up for grabs.

If you're interested send me a PM.  No point in having these collect dust.

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #8 - 04/13/23 at 16:51:44

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm on the waitlist for a 25th Anniversary Zen amp, but I've never heard a Decware amp before so my plan is to try out a SE84UFO and see what I think. If i love it in my system, I'll feel better about shelling out $3500 on an amp I've never heard....and I know I can easily sell the SE84UFO.

I purchased a cheap pair of 6P15P-EVs on eBay. I'm considering spending $200 on a pair of Cryotone 6P15P-EVs. Any advice on if you think this would be a worthy purchase for this amp?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 04/13/23 at 17:46:46

Quote:
Posted by: filthnoise      Posted on: Today at 08:51:44
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm on the waitlist for a 25th Anniversary Zen amp, but I've never heard a Decware amp before so my plan is to try out a SE84UFO and see what I think. If i love it in my system, I'll feel better about shelling out $3500 on an amp I've never heard....

At the risk of going wildly off topic I bought a pair of UFO amps sight-unheard a few years ago and, long story short, I loved them so much I got back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25s. I'm pretty sure you'll love it, but you're right, in the (unlikely) event you don't you shouldn't have any trouble selling it.

Quote:
I purchased a cheap pair of 6P15P-EVs on eBay. I'm considering spending $200 on a pair of Cryotone 6P15P-EVs. Any advice on if you think this would be a worthy purchase for this amp?

There are several threads about the Cryotone tubes, I think it would be time well spent to read them but the TL;DR is a lot of people like them, a few don't. Whether they are worth the $$$ for you is really your call. For me personally, I'm not keen to spend that kind of money (I'd need 4) when my system sounds as good as it does. I've tried a lot of power tubes including EL83s with custom adapters and EL82[1|2]s with adapters and while they make a difference they don't make as big a difference to the sound as the input tube or esp. the rectifier. JMO/FWIW/YMMV and all that.

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #10 - 04/13/23 at 18:02:45

Thanks Jim, that's super helpful!

I'll hold for now and see what I think of the tubes I've already purchased. It sounds like if I was to splurge on expensive tubes, the rectifier would be a better place to start.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/13/23 at 18:57:04

Quote:
Any advice on if you think this would be a worthy purchase for this amp?

Absolutely!  and this is not just about tubes, it's about how transparent this amp is.  The UFO25 is an incredibly transparent amp.  Tubes, cables, source components, etc. will either limit, in some cases handicap the transparency or get out of the way and let you hear what transparency really means.

Unfortunately there's no free lunch, so to speak.  The source that I am budgeting for now is many times the cost of the UFO25.  My experience tells me that the UFO25 is worthy of it.  

But that's just me. It's an addiction...🥺.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 04/13/23 at 19:01:20

I have a pair of the Wathen/Cryotone 6P15P output tubes.

There is a difference between these and the previous pairs I bought from Steve. A slightly less etched portion of the soundscape. But. . .a little tweaking of gain and the ZROCK2 can make either pair of tubes sound so similar as to be very hard to tell apart.

The real proof is in the longevity due to the price difference. If I can get three to four times the amount of hours use out of the Cryotone pair (something that seems hard to fathom) then they will have been worth the three to four times the cost. . . .  The jury is still more than two years out on that factor.

And I agree with John above . .the amp will show you every improvement you will make. When I got into Decware amplification . . .it sent me on a decade plus search for the best source possible. One that I will probably always be on incrementally going forward.

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #13 - 04/13/23 at 19:14:32

Thanks Lon! I should have mentioned, I'm also on the list for a ZROCK2 and hopefully only a few months away from getting it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 04/13/23 at 19:17:07

Oh boy. You're going to be having a lot of audio fun.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print