Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/30/24 at 21:19:51 

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
Swiss Digital FUSE BOX (Read 44262 times)
bloodlemons

Re: Swiss Digital FUSE BOX
Reply #400 - 04/17/24 at 00:03:31

Super Piggy is in place! I can't say that I notice any change in SQ particularly, but it certainly doesn't sound like a downgrade. We'll see if it burns in in any significant way, but no complaints in that regard. More immediately, it is much easier to route, which was becoming an issue with my cable spaghetti situation!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #401 - 04/17/24 at 02:38:22

Got my order in, now the bad part of my brain asks, how do I get all three sluggos into the ZP3, CSP and UFO in the right direction on the first try? The outlet box I ordered will take a few weeks to arrive. I’m thinking of using the SDFB in one component at a time and hoping by the time the box comes I’ll be all set to run with three sluggos and one SDFB. Ah, but burn in….good problems to have!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #402 - 04/17/24 at 03:01:57

Sean:

What value is your SDFB? In my experience, the value has to change if you're planning to use it between the wall and the outlet box, and then plug all three Decware components into the outlet box.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #403 - 04/17/24 at 03:24:54

3.15. What you wrote is exactly my plan. I ran that by Mark via email and he said that would work. From your experience, does the value need to go up or down?

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #404 - 04/17/24 at 03:27:21

I'm using a 3.15 on a multi-outlet unit that serves both my CSP3 and ZP3. Mark did the math on that one for me, and it works. Smooth sailing!

IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #405 - 04/17/24 at 06:41:47

Love my SDFB and piggy I use on my preamp.  Are you guys using one box for playing more than one component at the same time or just one component at a time using an outlet box?
My understanding is since sluggo’s are solid metal they would not be directional.  I am using solid silver rod I purchased and cut to 20mm. Some say it’s too much but it works great in my setup. Copper and gold plated sound excellent as well just different.  All good.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #406 - 04/17/24 at 06:45:55

I will admit that I don't understand the directional thing. But if someone else hears it, I'm glad they enjoy the effect.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #407 - 04/17/24 at 10:34:16

I do think there's something to the crystal structure that yields directionality--I first noticed it using Ohno copper and silver. . . and the VooDoo cabling I have with these conductors are clearly marked from the factory, and when I reverse the direction from their delineation I can clearly hear a dullness and a muffling--it's not nnight and day but noticeable. I don't know why that would be different in a solid metal (I use solid conductor cabling a lot for instance) and I don't find these Sluggos to be different in that regard.

Right now

So now I have swapped Sluggos and have a High Purity Copper Sluggo in both SDFBs.

Wow. The bass is back! And it all just sounds so good. I think this is the right combo for my system. Oomph and yet a relaxed presentation with plenty of detail.

These devices and bits of metal are something else! Since the Graphene is a bit bass shy by report at least at first. . . I think I may hold off and keep this combo going for some time.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #408 - 04/17/24 at 12:16:14

I think that if there is a difference in sluggo directional sound it would be short lived.
As far as cabling directionality, most I’ve seen and made was regard to a shielding scheme. Where a shield from one component was extended along the cable and terminated before entering the next inline component.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #409 - 04/17/24 at 13:05:07

Some cables are directional because a shield is grounded in one direction.

However your theory about direction being "short-lived" I can't subscribe to--that counters my own experience in my most resolving systems.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #410 - 04/17/24 at 13:14:44

Quote:
Upon taking the Sluggos out, one of them had some of the graphene flaking off. I contacted Mark. He is committed to offering a top tier product, I’m going to be sending them back so they can figure out what is going on.

Bummer Groovy. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #411 - 04/17/24 at 13:34:02

Lon, I may have not been clear. I am talking about directional differences with a 20mm length of highly conductive material in high voltage applications. Try reversing the sluggos after some time listening and see if a difference is noted. I think there might be, if at all. Can our ears discerned the difference over time? Why is it we can set in a noisy environment and concentrate on one sound that attracts our senses?

Sorry for the confusion.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #412 - 04/17/24 at 13:35:58

Oh, I do agree with the shielding scheme and difference in sound as you noted, Lon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #413 - 04/17/24 at 14:28:01

Um John, I HAVE switched directions on these several times. And the differences have been significant, and repeated. I have done the same with basic stock fuses and fancy aftermarket fuses, and the results are the same.

So . ..  I can't speak for your audio memory or attention but mine has led me (years ago) to believe in direction differences in fuses, among other wire matters.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #414 - 04/17/24 at 15:30:35

I stumbled upon a reference to a new futuristic metal that Mark might consider for the sluggos - as if he and his group are not busy enough, right? In this review:  "Goldene: New 2D form of gold makes graphene look boring" is described. I wonder what the cost of this metal might run.

"Researchers at Linköping University in Sweden have successfully created goldene, a sheet of gold that’s only one atom thick. Like graphene, this changes the material’s properties from its 3D bulk form – in this case, goldene becomes a semiconductor, switching from regular gold being one of the best conductors around.

https://newatlas.com/materials/goldene-2d-gold-graphene/

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #415 - 04/17/24 at 16:08:12

Goldene. That's a new one! But I'd try it!

IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #416 - 04/17/24 at 16:24:46

Interesting conversations.  And I thought tube rolling was a can of worms..now Sluggo’s.🤪. Hey I didn’t mean to get a debate on directionality.  Cables and fuses it definitely applies and is very audible.  I was just trying to understand how a solid slug would apply.  Maybe the way the metal is drawn to make the rod? The bottom line is if it sounds better one way vs.another thats all that matters.  So many things in this hobby are hard to wrap your head around with all the variables.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #417 - 04/17/24 at 21:21:04

Just got in a hollow silver Sluggo from Ali Express (my first and only order from Ali Express).

I just put it in the P15 and the initial impression is quite good.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #418 - 04/17/24 at 21:59:26

Hollow? Interesting. How does that little tweak affect the sound?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #419 - 04/17/24 at 22:09:32

I don't know as I don't have another or solid silver one to compare. This one is also shaped like a fuse in that it has been lathed to have "end caps" wider than the central portion.

A hollow silver cylinder is cheaper than a solid one!

It's been in place two hours or so now and it sounds clearer already. A lot like the High Purity Copper in sound but a bit "punchier" in the low end and a bit more open up top.

IP Logged
bloodlemons

Reply #420 - 04/17/24 at 22:26:16

Cool. I never would have thought of that!

IP Logged
Hearafter
Verified Member

Reply #421 - 04/17/24 at 23:23:38

Lon, Sounds good.  I bought my solid silver rod from Golden State Silver https://www.goldenstatesilver.com/products/4-gauge-rod-sets .  If you contact them they will cut the 4 Ga rod to any size and will sell any length. I bought a 4 or 6 inch rod and cut it myself several to 20 mm. Did the same with solid copper. I am risk adverse and use slugs in many of my components iec power sockets without protection. 🤪Not for most but I live in a lightning free area, have never had a power socket fuse blow in many years, all components protected by a power conditioner and components are only on in my presence.  Very low risk of cords causing short or fire. I would not use slugs inside a component, that is a different story, or on very high value or rare components.  
Thats just me not for all.

Torii Jr V2
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #422 - 04/17/24 at 23:36:15

I remember you imparting this information before. I'm sure that the silver you have is great. . . I'll hold that info for the future. . . I have more Sluggos than necessary at the moment and should hold back for a bit and let them all season in.

It's pretty amazing what bypassing the fuses with a solid rod does. It's sort of. . . addictive.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #423 - 04/18/24 at 00:33:15

Thanks for the tip on the hollow slugs Lon. Already having had really good balances with good fuses, this may solve some of my challenges with the solid ones pushing my gear a bit much, a little too heavy handed for me in components that were sound designed and fine tuned with fuses. Like I said earlier, I fixed it for the most part with a faster and more resolving "piggy." But a hollow slug, I might really like.

Based on gauge/size, I am thinking hollow would be closer to the fuse connectors (and wires connected to them) relative to conductivity. With wires and cables I have found consistently that more gauge of the same wire sounds denser/darker/fuller comparatively shifting all associated balances with that most of the time. Trying to visualize why, I wonder if the solid slug balance shifts may be to do with the bottleneck of the fuse connectors and their internal wires... the electrons through the slugs slowed down by each side of the fuse connectors and causing "turbulence" in the slug that sounds like compression... tending a little denser/darker/fuller/slower. I also like that the hollow ones I found are 5mm in diameter, the solid silver I got from goldenstate and the copper ground wire I used for my older copper slugs more like 6, stressing the plastic holder part of the IEC inlet.

I agree that it is pretty clear the difference in sound directionally with burned in slugs... Mark's copper, his gold dipped super sluggo and the goldenstate silvers. I look forward to hearing the hollow... hopefully more fine tuning choices!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #424 - 04/18/24 at 16:24:20

I slipped a little cut piece of the 3M EMI absorbing material in the center of the hollow silver Sluggo.

Certainly had an effect on frequency balance, immediately darkening and muddying it, that is clearing up as I play a disc. (Everything changes when the system is shut down and then powered back up).

Not sure I like it after adjusting with my ZROCK2 but we'll see.

Later I decided I didn't relax into the sound with the silver.  I put the High Purity Copper Sluggo back in the P15. At least for now I like it best in that component.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #425 - 04/18/24 at 18:27:17

I think I recall the silver slug I got smoothing and warming with time when in the P5.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #426 - 04/18/24 at 19:07:41

No doubt--it will get its time again. Right now I am rolling 6SN7 tubes with converter bases for the driver tubes in the SEWE300B.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #427 - 04/20/24 at 20:22:40

Okay the Silver hollow slug has been in the P15 two more days and it is sounding really good in combination with the High Purity Copper Sluggo that has been opening up in the SEWE300B.

I'm convinced these fuse-by-passers and the SDFB device are a decided improvement for the system. So. . .because Kam is such a BAD INFLUENCE. . . and because I had one more AC-12 power cord I could apply (meaning there would be the same power cord before and after the SDFB as is the case with the first two) . . . I ordered another SDFB today for the DAC.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #428 - 04/20/24 at 20:35:53

LOL!

Way to go!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #429 - 04/20/24 at 21:37:19

Lon said:

Right now I am rolling 6SN7 tubes with converter bases for the driver tubes in the SEWE300B

Could you say more, that caught my eye, and I could not figure it out. I thought the 12AU7, but you said "tubes." Are you also rolling the 6922s?

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #430 - 04/20/24 at 22:18:39

Tony, I have done a ton of rolling the driver tubes on my SEWE300B, which are 6922 or 6N6P as designed by Steve, but I have found the best sound by using 6SN7 with converter bases that convert the 6SN7 to work in the 6922 positions. (The tubes in the SEWE300B are: a 12AU7 in the input position--I'm using a 7062 at the moment--three regulation tubes that are either 0A2, 0B2 or 0C2--I'm using a 75C1 which is a small tube version of the 0C2 in all three positions--and the driver tubes for the 300B, one for each channel, which is where I am now using 6SN7 tubes with converter bases to 6922 tube electrical characteristics, and then of course a 5U4G etc. type rectifier and the 300B tubes themselves.)

For about 6 weeks I have been using my favorite old RCA gray glass 6SN7 and decided (with the changes that the Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes have been making in the system) to roll some other 6SN7 that I have on hand from years ago. There is a pair of GE that make great bass. . . but harsher high frequencies. . . and a pair of newer RCA that are pretty good, and a pair of Tung-Sol that aren't too exciting. . . and I ended up just putting back the old gray glass RCA 6SN7s and satisfying myself that I like these best.

When I first got the amp I ran through all the 6922, 7308, 6DJ8, 6N6P etc. on hand. It's hard to make the SEWE300B sound bad with any tube substitutions, but there is something very "old-fashioned" in a good way about the 6SN7 used with converter bases in this spot, and I'm going to carry on with that setup.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #431 - 04/20/24 at 23:22:29

Thanks, Lon. Your follow-up gave me the picture. I'm still ten months from Sarah, but I have a trio of RCA gray glass 6SN7 with converters in my CSP 2+ that I'm still using downstairs. I'll keep a note of your findings so that next year, I can give it a try. Additionally, I have the Swiss Digital FUSE BOX, 7062,75C1s and more - everything except Sarah. All in good time. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #432 - 04/20/24 at 23:25:42

Glad you knew I was joshing as I forgot to put a "smilie" there. I do thank you for sharing all your impressions as they have guided me well in my exploration of the box and Sluggos.

I never expected the depth of the change that these have made.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #433 - 04/21/24 at 00:20:50

Yup all good-You’ve been a source of inspiration for so many—glad to return the favor! The impact of the SDFB is undeniable.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #434 - 04/21/24 at 20:51:08

Torii arrived yesterday. Do I need a different sized sluggo? The fuses in the Torii seem so much larger than the ones in my SE84 and CSP3.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #435 - 04/21/24 at 21:04:15

When I owned Torri amps (Mk II and Mk III) the fuses were the same 5 mm x 20 mm size. . . .

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #436 - 04/21/24 at 22:58:17

The Torii MKV uses 2x 6.3x32mm fuses.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #437 - 04/23/24 at 14:57:50

Thanks GS...my eyesight is so bad there is no way I could see markings on the fuses. Appreciate the help.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #438 - 04/23/24 at 23:10:03

More time on the silver slug and the High Purity Copper Sluggo in the system right now has me peeking into a new window of sound. The sliver in the P15 has that wonderful smoothness good silver imparts, and the copper in the amp has the grunt to get all frequencies balanced and vivid.

This is really the best sound yet in important ways. And in two days a third SDFB will arrive. . . and I have a seasoned copper Sluggo to add to the DAC, and soon will have another (two) silver slugs arrive, probably a week or ten days from now.

Looking forward to what that third SDFB will summon from the universe, and also it will mean that the last Purple fuse will be out of the system, the only other fuses being Audio Magic M-1 and a stock fuse in the NuWave Phono Converter (haven't gone inside there to change a fuse). The Purple is the weak link according to my ears in the system.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #439 - 04/26/24 at 14:39:17

Wow. I have read through post 199. I will complete the thread.

I think I'm in. I will need to confirm my fuse type, fuse rating and sluggo size & choice, for my ZMA. I would appreciate your help with that HK. Furthermore, HK, you mentioned a tight fit PI the A...with the sluggo? Help me be aware of any frustrations.

I will run pig tail PCord from High Current outlet of my PS Audio P3 > SDFB > XLO PCord > ZMA/Sluggo in IEC.

I should reintroduce myself. S of T here...(formerly Stone_of_Tone.....3217 past posts).
Went on a 5+ year hiatus.....glad to be back.

I need to get this in my signature......

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha Digital Pcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030 IC
XLO Pro Pcord

**Serial Number 1 (One)**
Decware ZMA/25th Mods (3 out of 4 mods/I kept the big red Mallory's)

DIY Speaker Cables/created my own hi-bred of Kimber Select KS6063 & KS6065 (24awg solid core w/6N Silver & Neotech UP-OCCC & 19awg Kimber's best VariStrand .....9awg aggregate to speaker/12awg to each speaker post)

Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified (single capped Mundorf Mcap Supreme-crossed at 4500)
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall to PS Audio P3
ZDSD & ZMA plugged in to High Current outlet of P3
Transport using PS wave only

I run Redbook.....1100+ CD collection in my Decware ZDSD.....still love.

Mid-Fi Rig.....I take my ZMA hat off and play Vinyl & HT on my Polk SDA SRS 1.2 behemoths......

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #440 - 04/26/24 at 15:31:05

Stone,

I configured the SDFB with a 6 amp slow blow setting for the ZMA. You'll need to request this configuration along with a 5x20mm Sluggo, which replaces the fuse in the IEC outlet box. There are different flavors of Sluggo metal rods that replace the fuse. You might request 2or 3 different ones to try out. I've found the high purity copper Sluggo sounds best in my set up.

You will need an additional power cord for the SDFB or adding one of Marks piggy tail PC's. Note the current piggy tail is only 1 foot in length, so make sure your set up will accommodate this.

Regarding the tight fit, I was referencing plugging the piggy tail IEC end into the SBFB. Not a problem, just requires some additional force.

I suggest you contact Mark with your set up configuration first. He generally suggests starting with a SDFB on the amp as it draws the most current. Given that you have your ZMA and CD player plugged into the PS3 he may suggest replacing that fuse (if accessible) as an alternative. Mark is generally very responsive to emails and often calls to discuss things in detail.

I hope these notes prove helpful. Plz PM me if anything is unclear.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #441 - 04/26/24 at 17:44:45

Thanks HK. I will call Mark when ready. Do soup to nuts. Now: Continuing and learning/enjoying the thread.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #442 - 04/26/24 at 18:21:37

Welcome back Stone!

Mark is a gem to deal with, so definitely hit him up with any questions you may have.

Guys, I agree with GS that the Graphene Sluggo adds resolution and detail. I currently have about 25 hrs on it. My bass response has been positively impacted as well though I’m not quite sure whether it is a result of the Graphene or other components/tubes settling in.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #443 - 04/26/24 at 19:44:53

Thanks Kamran. Ubet.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #444 - 04/26/24 at 19:47:51

I'll echo what Kam says about Mark (and I have said before). Don't hesitate to deal with this guy!

Okay: my third SDFB arrived today and I struggeled to get it set up properly. When I get everything all connected. . . there was a big ZZZZZ sound and then everything went dead. I struggled for a spell to get the P15 to power up again and then again everything went dead. I disconnected the new SDFB from in between the P15 and PS Audio DSD DAC Mk II. . . and it started up again and then everything went dead. I then removed all SDFB and everything started up fine! I then unplugged the P15 and took the dog for a walk and cooled my sweaty self down. I came back and reconnected all SDFB, plugged the P15 back in and turned it on and everything came to life and then. . . the Sophia Electric Aqua II in the SEWE300B arced and the amp went dead in a sizzly sort of way.

I paced around the house and sort of begged the universe to do better for me, pulled out a rugged 5AR4 Amperex rectifier and turned it all on and that worked fine, the SEWE300B glowed at me and said "okay." I then took the Aqua II that I had in my SE84UFO clone amp and put it in the SEWE300B, hit the transport "play" button and everything works.

Lost an Aqua II. THAT is an expensive piece of unintended damage. &^%$!

But. . . the sound is really good. It will be even better after a number of hours as anytime I unplug the DAC it takes a half a day at least to be all that it can actually be. But I'm getting that "lift" that a third SDFB is purported to give. More "resonance" to the piano sound, a fuller bass, a bigger sound overall.

Time will tell, but after getting over the 300 dollar or so bite of losing that rectifier I think I'm going to be really happy. . . and forced to stop tweaking for a while as I'm now REALLY out of audio money.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #445 - 04/26/24 at 21:59:16

S of T Glad you are back! You departed right as I was joining so I read many of your posts. The SDFB is a fantastic device, along with the Sluggo it really unleashes what these components can do.

Lon, UGH! that is such a bummer!

After an epic listening session last night. This morning I got to listen for a bit to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

With the Prototype in I just want to listen to music and not analyze it. That to me says it all.

I'll get to the analysis... just enjoying music for now

The graphene is impressive and gives all the details. Reminds me of 2003-2009 when I went to CES every year. Some of the systems, mostly the megabuck systems. Had this sound to them, hyper detailed "show stoppers" I always had the feeling that it would be too much to listen to for more than an hour or so. The graphene had that WOW factor WITHOUT the eventual burn out.

I mentioned this concern to Mark when I first put them in. Even listening late into the night it never happened and the concern vanished.

The Prototype has a more subtle wow factor. It's a lean back and be carried away into the music.

graphene is sit up and listen. It's exciting and you want to lean into the music.

Mark informed me that the prototype is going to be $$$$. I’m not sure if I’m going to go with 100% prototype or a mix. I’m leaning towards getting another graphene and another prototype and playing with them.

I’m still dumbfounded how much a small piece of metal can impact the final sound of the stereo!

Some unrelated musings on the spendier Sluggos. When taken from a how much better or how much more I’m enjoying my stereophonic experience. $250 bucks for a graphene Sluggo + $395 for the SDFB is significant money.

Let’s call it a $600-700 investment. The amount of improvement and enjoyment I don’t know how to get more bang for the buck! at $395… It’s a no brainer for the next step.

My stereo and room is just about complete. I have all my components on SDFB and Sluggos. Once I get the premium Sluggos dialed in the only thing I have left is to get my second Super Tube Rectifier, Butcher Block Acoustics slabs for them and footers. Then I really don’t know or have a desire to find out what else is possible.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #446 - 04/26/24 at 22:54:13

GroovySauce wrote on 04/26/24 at 21:59:16:
Lon, UGH! that is such a bummer!

Yes. I am definitely bummed. Somehow, sometime I need to replace that. Quite an expense.

IP Logged
S of T
Verified Member

Reply #447 - 04/27/24 at 05:19:31

GSauce, thanks......glad to be back.

Lon, woah.....glad all is good other than your Sophia Electric/bad enough.

HK, Lon, GS, Will, Kamran and others.....I sent Mark an email/ph #. I'm in.

ZMA with most current draw first.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #448 - 04/27/24 at 14:52:36

Well hey there Stone! Good to hear from you and glad all is well! Smiley

IP Logged
verafi

Reply #449 - 04/27/24 at 15:32:47

@Lon

Please try to connect with me over the weekend

I'm concerned with what I jsut read - how and why????

Normal State for SDFB isd OPEN. MicroP and Hall Effect Sensor must be in "agreement" for Current to flow

I'm FULLY HERE to help you...

All the rest - thanks for your support. I think a few of you have been helpful over on HeadFi's thread about SDFB

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-grade-fuses.419939/page-53#post-18094504

I thank you for this. Your support everywhere really helps me - I'm only one guy and without all of you............

Thanks

Prototype is expensive (sorry) but the Nano Treatments (4x) are expensive as are the materials

Graphene has shipped - only 95 of 5 x 230mm and 55 of 6 x 32mm with better Vacuum Depositing Process in effect.

More surely to follow

Appreciate all of you...

@HockessinKid

Thanks very much -

Best to all

Mark

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print