03/29/24 at 15:58:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My New Torii Jr V2 (Read 1696 times)
JMeader

My New Torii Jr V2
03/01/23 at 19:08:56

Ok all unpacked and setup done

Not being a tube guy, making sure I got the right tubes in the right places was concerning.  after several references back to the manual the process was completed.

This model Decaware is self biasing yet the manual makes some reference to biasing new tubes very confusing. As I said I am not a tube guy so it may be just me not knowing what I am reading. It seems as though this could use editing or at least additional comments for the novice.

Ok ,now the sound. First the new amp accepted my speaker positioning and room with no changes required. a big relief as my room is complicated as you can see in the photo

3 image banner instagram

the side walls are 10 feet with the ceiling arch going up another 4 ft. In addition the left side wall does not exist as it is our dining room. Getting my La Scala's to image  properly was a long process.

The Torii Jr V2 sounded great, but not significantly different than my previous set up on initial turn on and play. My wife who wears hearing aids noticed she could hear the words of the songs much better even without her hearing aids in.

I now have maybe 10 hours on the amp and yes changes are occurring for the better. The changes are in sound stage depth, clarity and what I believe you would call sound decay. The best example is the hit of the cymbals last longer.

I am not experiencing is the tube warmth everyone talks about. Could be me and my 73 year old ears ???.  The reproduction of the music is wonderful, sounds great, deep sound stage, width is about the same as before.

Right now I have a big play list running at low volume to quickly get to the 100 hours for break in.

As to power, the 20 watts seems more than adequate for my high volume room.The Decware is feed by a Schitt Freya S ( no tube ) pre-amp. Decware is at about 60% and volume is adjusted via pre-amp

Oh well I am enjoying the music and glad with my purchase Hey even my wife likes the look of it Smiley

CD's Digitized via Exact Copy
Music Files read by Audirvana Studio
on Win10 PC
Sent to Pontus 2 12th -1 via USB
out XLR to Schiit Frya S PreAmp
Torii Jr V2
to fully updated 1987 La Scala's
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: My New Torii Jr V2
Reply #1 - 03/02/23 at 02:00:55

The link to the owner's manual was incorrectly pointing to the original manual.  It has been corrected.  Sorry about that.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIJRv2.pdf

WWW   IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #2 - 03/02/23 at 05:09:59

Thank You

I was hoping it was something simple and not me Smiley

on Win10 PC
Torii Jr V2
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/02/23 at 12:54:20

Thanks for the photos! I love seeing peoples setups.

The amp will change a lot in the first 100 hours. After that it could be to 200-500 hours before it is completely settled in.

Once you have 100+ hours on the amp if you want to fine tune or drastically alter the sound of the amp rolling tubes offers lots of options. Reading about other Decware amps and what the different tubes sound like will transfer to your amp. Feel free to start a new thread or jump into one and ask for recommendations if you do want to roll tubes.

Glad you and enjoying your new amp.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #4 - 03/02/23 at 19:15:41

Rolling tubes may be in the future for sure.

One of the common comments with Decware amps is that they point out deficiencies with in your system.

I am now very satisfied with my La Scala's and my amp, it now time to look my other components

My Dac ( Minidsp SHD ) is very good and has served me well it could be upgraded

As well as my Schitt Freya S ( no tube ) pre-amp which again is very good but could be upgrade

Oh well still enjoying the Music

on Win10 PC
Torii Jr V2
  IP Logged
Dilbert99
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/10/23 at 01:31:22

Nice to hear it's working out.  I contemplated the Freya to pair with my Torii Jr, but opted for a CSP3, a really nice pair.  Also second your comment on exposing other weak points in the system (and bad recordings).

Haven't rolled tubes yet, but do plan to try some soon as I'm about 100 hours in as well.

IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #6 - 03/10/23 at 16:24:52

125 plus hours now

I had a minor Hum which is now reducing, assume it is part of the tube burn in ???

I also made a 1/4 inch more turn in on my right side La Scala, this made the center sound stage even more defined

We all are aware having a large screen TV in between your speakers is sub optimal for system sound.  Since I had floor to ceiling curtains behind TV I tried putting the curtains covering the TV

Yes it made a positive difference, not dramatic but definitely noticeable

One thing I need to work on is that my sound stage which is very deep for the center  yet much shallower for the left and right sound stages. Not sure where to even start on this one, Hopefully some one can help with some ideas to try

BTW I also a Plex Sever on my Win10- PC. Last night my wife and I watched a movie and the sound system did a great job the speakers totally went away.  Movie audio out was via Win10 USB

I think I am ready to just listening to the music for awhile instead of listening to my system.

My Torii Jr V2  and La Scala's are truly a joy to listen to. Horns and tubes just work Smiley

on Win10 PC
Torii Jr V2
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/10/23 at 19:12:24

I'm fighting the TV between the speakers fight as well. Do you have any other room treatments? I've got two panels on each side wall, a diffuser on the back wall and two absorbers on the ceiling. This week I've been experimenting with covering the tv with blankets. Without covering the tv, I have a "thirds" issue. The center image, then an image to the left and right of center. In between those thirds is a bit of a dead space. Placing a blanket over the tv and extending it side to side between the speakers has made a big difference. The soundstage now seems more fluid and full side to side. I'm no expert, I like to experiment and trust my ears for what works in my room. The reflections that hit your ear after the sound from the speaker really wreaks havoc.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #8 - 03/10/23 at 22:30:22

@Sean   I have what you have the left right and center sound stages all well defined but not yet cohesive.

Putting the curtains over the TV in my room did not change the issue, overall it sounded better with the TV covered but my sound stages were not cohesive

I do not have any sound treatments other than my room which is 10 ft side walls with another 4 ft in a half tube height. Also the curtains are heavy and go floor to ceiling so act as absorbers I presume.

We purchased the home this way, there was a full sized Grand Piano in the room so the room may have been designed for that usage. The good  news it really works well for 2 channel stereo   Smiley Smiley

on Win10 PC
Torii Jr V2
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/11/23 at 03:04:43

The experiment. Beauty, eh? 90% of the time the lights are out and probably 50% of that time my eyes are closed, so the visual isn't too distracting. I'd prefer a darker color, but it's what was lying around.

Underneath there is a 5' wide oak cabinet. I'm sure that doesn't help out much either.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #10 - 03/11/23 at 16:55:52

while your experimenting you might try a second blanket for more density. good chance it will not do anything but worth the try at this point.

also are your tweeters at ear level when sitting, you might try putting your speakers on a box to raise them up a bit. this can do two things increase mid range and also not have all your base going in to the furniture in the room at floor level.

when i raised my La Scala's ( a real pain ) there was a difference, not big but positive.  currently they are raised 12 inches so my next experiment will be a 9 inches, but no matter what they will remain raised.

on Win10 PC
Torii Jr V2
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print