Send Topic Print
Colored Vinyl? (Read 1065 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Colored Vinyl?
02/27/23 at 17:20:43

My apologies if there is another post regarding this topic.  I’ve been on a record buying spree lately and remember reading on a forum that colored/dyed vinyl doesn’t have the same sonic qualities as it’s traditional black counterpart. Does anyone have experience with comparing both types and/or notice a difference with the colored vinyl being a bit inferior sonically.

I know a lot of times Record Day sales feature a limited edition run by an artist with colored Vinyl and hype sticker, and I always saw this as marketing hype more than anything else.  

For the holidays I bought Bocelli’s Christmas Album which was released on white vinyl for Barnes and Noble, and I have to say that it’s an amazing album.  

I’ve been seeking out Springsteen’s Greatest Hits and it’s on back order everyone. When I head to Discogs..there is the original release, and then there is a Record Day Sale Red Vinyl release.  I know these are reissues that are not released in the same year, but my gut says to just seek out the black vinyl.  

While I have already ordered several Japanese first pressings on my more favorite artists and albums, Springsteen is not one of those artists that I feel like spending the extra money on.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Colored Vinyl?
Reply #1 - 02/27/23 at 17:53:18

If I have the option I buy the black vinyl version.

Confirmation bias really comes into play here and it's something I do consider on this topic.

I've have so many colored vinyl that sound terrible, pressing issues not mastering. That said I have some colored vinyl that sound fantastic. The most common problems I find with colored vinyl is one or both channels will have the occasional distortion in the upper frequencies.

Last night I listened to Flight Facilities and Sophie Zelmani both colored and they sound terrific! The Flight Facilities is a red white and blue so 3 different colors fused together at the time of pressing.

I haven't gone deeper into this subject to follow which pressing plants do a good job and which are not so great.

The issue is, I get a significant amount of black vinyl that sounds terrible! Boris Blank and Malia - Convergence. I have two copies bought new and they are terrible pressings.

I've started pulling pressings that suck and not sure what to do with them. I might try a conical cartridge and see if that makes them playable.

A practical matter is that of cleaning and maintaining of records. I do my best to get them as clean as possible and stay that way. Black is easy to spot dust and other contaminates.  Will all the colors and difference levels of translucence it takes a bit of extra time to check the record.

If it's a record you want, buy it. If it's terribly pressed send it back—if it's from a store. Private seller... well, I have a bunch of records that are not so well pressed.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/27/23 at 18:13:43

I'm with Groovy, if given the choice I go with black vinyl. Also agree it's easier to spot dust on black vinyl. I've got some colored discs that are impossible to tell if they are dusty. I use a VPI 16.5 for general cleaning and also have a ultrasonic for the super dirty or noisy records. I also use a goat hair brush and a Zerostat (when it's dry and static-y) before each play.

Do NOT buy picture discs, unless you want something to hang on the wall. They are horrendous.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/27/23 at 23:12:23

I have read that black vinyl is more rigid and stronger due to the carbon black used in the pigmentation process. The other dyes do not contain as much carbon. That being said I have good and bad records in both iterations. I'll buy the color if I like the look of it and try not to worry too much about it. I've never done a direct comparison between black and colored records though.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/28/23 at 00:55:21

Had another thought about this...Translucent black, those are the good ones. Quiex from Japan and the original Mofi recordings are pressed this way. You can hold them up to a light and see the light through the record, looks brownish. The only Quiex release I have is Hendrix Voodoo Child box. For a compilation it sounds amazing. I've got a few original Mofi and a few of the controversial new versions.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #5 - 02/28/23 at 04:06:51

I have tried to stay away from colored vinyl, however, I do have a blue-vinyl copy of Leon Russell's debut album. I love the album, and I was willing to try it. It's not the best I own, but it's not the worst either.

I can't really say if the vinyl color makes a difference, but I'm not willing to regularly buy them.

Decware UFO2 / Rega P6 with Ania cartridge / Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre-amp / All Kimber cabling / Klipsch Heresy IV
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 02/28/23 at 05:24:44

I would agree that it’s more of a pressing issue than a mastering issue.  I initiated this post only because of a dilemma with potentially obtaining a reissue of Springsteen Greatest Hits thats on a red vinyl.  The initial US release is on back order everywhere, and on Discogs…they want a ton of money for the original black vinyl.  

I had bought a Barnes and Noble exclusive release of Springsteen’s Chapter and Verse on tortoise colored vinyl.  It’s audio is compressed and lifeless. So I figured that before I get stuck buying another colored vinyl from him…I would try to get a general consensus here.  And yes….I would never buy a picture disc.  Yuck!!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/28/23 at 10:31:39

I remember when "virgin" vinyl was a spin word back in a day. Makes me wonder on what some of these colorful disks are being pressed from. Recycled materials?

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/28/23 at 11:52:28

If I recall correctly... Michael Fremer visited RTI? they mentioned that they actually recycle a small portion of the vinyl back into the virgin vinyl because it sounds better that way.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print