Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 01:26:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best mastering of Rumours on vinyl (Read 3027 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Best mastering of Rumours on vinyl
02/16/23 at 00:18:32

I know this should probably be posted in the  “What’s Spinning” section, but I figured that since this is a vinyl review, it would be best served here.

In an effort to expand my collection, Fleetwood Mac Rumours was a top pick.  When I went to Discogs…I noticed that there were a ton of versions of this album.  As I dug further it got more confusing.   Needless to say I came across this YouTube video review from a record store owner on the west coast.  It’s worth the watch as he breaks down all of the copies out there.

I decided to seek out the Japanese first pressing of this album, figuring that I may as well go for the harder one to obtain first.  75 bucks later it just arrived on my doorstep yesterday.  Gonna give it a good cleaning tonight and then hopefully sit back tomorrow and compare it to streaming (which I’m sure is a non contender).  I’ll post my impressions, but for those who have a version of this album..I’m curious to hear your impressions.

Here is the video link.  Enjoy

https://youtu.be/XqmqEqbEvTk

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: Best mastering of Rumours on vinyl
Reply #1 - 02/16/23 at 00:42:56

When I was stationed in Japan I picked up quite a few Japanese pressings, one of which is this same first Japanese pressing of Rumours. I also have an American Los Angeles plant first pressing. I can't be sure if it is due entirely to the pressing itself, or partly to how each have been cared for as neither were new when I purchased them, but my Japanese pressing is the better of the two. The stand out difference is that it is quieter with less surface noise, causing the dynamics and details in the recording to be much more easily heard.

I have found Japanese pressings to generally have this quality of quieter background, especially for records from the late 60's through the late 90's. Of course this is a generalization, but in my collection at least, I can't think of an exception. I understand there are at least several reasons for the quality of Japanese pressings:

1) With the smaller Japanese market, the record stampers did not become as worn as in America, meaning that quality was less dependent on whether you happened to get an early or late stamped record from the mother.

2) American vinyl from the oil crisis of the early 70's is often very thin, which may negatively impact playback sound. Additionally, recycled vinyl was sometimes used which can add impurities leading to noise. Japan did not follow suit as people were willing to pay more for continuing to maintain a thicker record using virgin vinyl.

I hope you enjoy your copy of Rumours.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 02/16/23 at 13:14:07

Chapsjon….  Thanks for the info.  The copy I bought was well preserved and in excellent condition.   Forum member Lon swears by Japanese pressings, so I needed to see what all the rave was about.  

I finally bought my first Japanese CD of Barney Wilen’s Jazz Sur Siene…and now I know why he gravitates towards them. I anticipate that with Japanese vinyl, I will experience great resolution.  I found the video informative, especially for this album in particular, so I figured I’d share it.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/16/23 at 13:19:19

I don't have any experience with Rumors to share. I'm just not a big fan of this type of rock, and man being a music fan while this album was released and became so popular it was heard everywhere for so long, in cars, at partys, in stores, in homes. . . I got really tired of it (just like Dark Side of the Moon, I don't need to hear that album again).

I have a few Japanese LPs of Blue Note material (items that were never released before the Japanese edition) and they sound really really good. Makes me think most Japanese LPs, especially of the 'seventies through the 'eighties, would be a bit better than US counterparts. Let us know how you like your new arrival.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 02/16/23 at 13:57:12

Life is interesting sometimes. I just listened to a relatively new copy of Rumors last night. Actually, I was more interested at the moment how the sound of a resurrected phono pre was going to sound.
So the album is a45RPM, two album reissue in 2009 by Warner Records. I will say right up front that I have never heard this recording so well done. Simply amazing and all of that talk, but really, it did better than took me back, it took me forward to an even better than I remember experience of this album.
There is a downside though. From what I can tell, one of the disc's is off center. I can't hear it but I can see the cartridge move back and forth. Fortunately, the other disc that has Songbird on it is fine.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/16/23 at 17:32:46

I agree with your sentiments, Lon.  I haven't been able to listen to dark side for two or three decades, and the closest I've come was the Flaming Lips complete cover of the album which captured my interest for less than 10 plays.
There's just so much great music out there that goes unheard to keep falling into the repackaged marketing scheme.
Not to dismiss anyone else's interests though, or negate the value anyone finds in these new pressings.  We all love music for our own reasons and if it stokes you, more power to you.   Smiley

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/16/23 at 18:44:21

I'm of the age that Dark side of the Moon was burned into my being and felt the same way until recently.  I hadn't heard it in over 20 years and I had forgotten how good it really is.

There is so much music that I listen to today that I really like that isn't as good.  If its been a while you might be amazed as  at what they were able to do way back then.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/16/23 at 18:55:23

Me, I didn't like it much then, don't expect to enjoy it now. Pink Floyd eventually just depressed me--The Wall was the final nail. I'm fine without them in my listening life.

But that's just me. I think there are maybe 50 rock and pop albums I still like from my twenties and do or would listen to again. I've moved away from those genres into jazz and others as far as deep interest goes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #8 - 02/16/23 at 22:19:33

I just got done listening to the entire album and with high expectations, and this first pressing Japanese album definitely delivered!  As Chapsjon said…it’s really really quiet and clean.  The separation of instruments was far better than it’s digital counterpart. I know this album well and this version on vinyl has depth.  Songbird and Chains was just jaw dropping.  How I just wish I had a better rig and cartridge to really dive into this album further.  Something is telling me that my Rega P2 needs to get replaced with a P6 or a P8…..someday!  

4krow….is your double vinyl album mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray…pressed at Pallas?  If so….then you got one hell of an album.  I have that album in my eBay shopping cart….I want a backup “just in case”.  

For those who don’t have a vinyl copy of this album, I would urge you to check out the video I posted which breaks down the good from the bad.  It’s informative….but more importantly just goes to show that the engineers who do the mastering really get a nod when they nail it.  

Dom

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 02/17/23 at 00:04:17

Dom,

Thanks for the compliment. Believe me, I was lucky this time round.
As luck would have it, I am reworking the tube preamp that had a hand in bringing out the detail that I never knew existed in this recording. I played it again today, just to hear the difference with another cool but not as good little pre that uses a Korg SP1 tube. It is a head shaker of a difference between the two, and ThaT is while still using the phono preamp that I finally got right. I guess that we could go in circles here, but if the album doesn't have 'it' and/or the phono pre doesn't have 'it', etc. you may be missing some of the best part of the experience before even dropping the needle!
Ok, ok, back to shop to finish up the tube pre and get back to real music.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/17/23 at 00:42:17

I'm glad to hear that you're pleased with you Japanese pressing Dom. It is so much better to my ears that I'm not sure why I still have my American pressing.

While Japanese pressings can be expensive to purchase in the States, mostly due to shipping from Japan, I have yet to be disappointed. I am still hunting for a few specific records, but managed to build a great collection while I was there.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/17/23 at 02:05:17

You guys got me searching my music collection. Turns out Rumours is not present! It use to be there. Maybe the X took it when she left.

Anyway, the 45rpm is on order from Acoustic Sounds. Amazon has it cheaper but it is not clear if it is the Pallas pressing. I hear there is another mysterious European pressing that is floating around.

Still find it hard spending 10x of what was spent back in a day but I did find some good finds today at the local flea store that will keep things in line.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 02/17/23 at 15:59:17

Chapsjon….yes I’m very pleased with the album.  Luckily on discogs I found a seller out of California. I needed to contact him to make sure the info I was looking for was  in the deadwax.

4krow… like you said… if the copy of your album doesn’t have it in there….or your phono pre and/or rig can’t extract it…then there could be some of the best parts of the album that you could be missing out on.  

Jbzen….glad this post got you to search out a good copy of the album.  With the recent passing of Christie McVie…I’m sure you’ll start to see these albums go up in price….if they haven’t already.

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/22/23 at 14:16:26

Got myself in a corner on this adventure.
I first ordered from Amazon then found a more descriptive add from Acoustic Sounds that centers around the pressing. AS indeed refers it to being a Pallas product. While Amazon's 3rd party vendor description is vague.

I-deals Store(3rd party vendor) did not recognize the cancelation request placed less than 2 hours after ordering. They printed a shipping label 24 hours after the order was canceled and shipped. To further complicate this issue I was sent an e-mail within the 2 hour order time stating that my shipping date was delayed! I got Amazon involved and I-deals responded that it was too late because the item was shipped. So they ignored my request and responded to Amazons!

For an item that was estimated to arrive at the end of the month, it is setting on my dining room table after delivery yesterday! AS's is due today.

The package has not been open. It will be refused or a return will be requested through Amazon unless the AS copy turns out to be the European stamping.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 02/22/23 at 16:24:18

I empathize with this sort of thing. Almost not worth the trouble when you consider the possible hassle involved. Same sort of thing happened when I signed up for monthly shipment of an herb from Dr. Shultz to save some money. Yup, in came the notice that my NEXT monthly order had been shipped the same day as the notice. My fault but no more herbs from them either.
One other thing to note for shipping as a whole. In dealing with eBay sellers, some of them are printing a label only and calling it shipped when the USPS hasn't even received the item yet!
So there is all kinds of possible confusion/using the system type stuff going on. Your case is 'special' though. Someone in hurry to get the next box out.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #15 - 02/22/23 at 16:45:06

Quote:
Amazon's 3rd party vendor description is vague

John,

Sorry you had these issues.

I am a definite, (and unfortunate) Amazon addict. There are so many things that I order from them - and the fast shipping can be amazing.

But, with that said, there are certain items that I never order from them. Albums are number one on that list - generally because of the reason quoted above. They seldom give any of the normal information that you look for, like condition, pressing info, etc.

I get my albums, generally, from Discogs, and eBay, sometimes. Still kind of a crapshoot, but if you stick to sellers with high feedback ratings, I have a pretty good success rate.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/22/23 at 16:49:41

The Acoustic Sounds offering just arrived. It is the real deal.

How do I know?

Two reasons:

1.The dead wax has the right markings.
2. The count can be heard at the beginning of "Gold Dust Woman" as well as the dynamics at the end of that track are powerful.

I will do a review after a full cleaning and warm up.

Already printed the return label for I-Deals shipment. A total waste of resources was created by ignorance.

John

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #17 - 02/23/23 at 07:32:44

John,

Sorry to hear you had an issue with the Amazon seller for this album.  But I am glad that your Acoustic sounds album arrived and you got the right album pressed at Pallas.  Please let us know how you like the album after you give it a full listen.

Even though I have the Japanese first pressing,  I want the double disc Pallas Pressed album to act as a backup down the road.  So….In an effort to save a bit of money…I ordered the same album Pallas Pressing on eBay but got screwed bit time.  Not too much longer after the  eBay seller accepted my  bid…the seller somehow put in three purchases for 2 separate gift cards at Walmart online, as well a 2 phone cables from Monoprice.   I only caught it because the totals from Walmart orders were the exact same price as negotiated price for the Rumours album.  Needless to say I had to jump through hoops and put a claim in order to get refunded the money from Walmart and Monoprice.  I then canceled my album order from the eBay seller but I still need to put in a compliant with eBay about the seller.  

So for me…  I am done ordering albums from of eBay, and we only use trusted record store companies online and Discogs going forward.  

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/23/23 at 11:14:12

Wow Dom! My issue pales in comparison. Report that scumbag! Good to hear you got it sorted out.

It is great that we have these resources at our hands. One can full fill many dreams in a lifetime that very well was limit to maybe one dream as little as 50 years ago. But...it opens up a door to hustlers without morals or kids that have not developed any...yet! Time will catch up with those......... Smiley

Not to change the topic but on the same lines. The second pressing of Kirsten Edkins Shapes & Sound by Gray is still not available. I missed getting a copy of the first pressing by a day. The scalpers are really at it pushing that first pressing as high as $148 on ebay. While, Elusive Disk pounds my e-mail box with advertisements knowing that I dare not block them because of my pre-order of the second pressing Smiley

I will get to playing the Rumours 45 but taking a short break after cleaning my 300+ collection Smiley

John

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #19 - 02/24/23 at 00:10:20

Yes he is definitely getting reported.  Funny you mentioned Elusive Disc….just got an email from them because I have the Fleetwood Pallas pressing in my cart.  
I was in 2 record stores today, one was small but fairly clean…the other one was atrocious and there was junk everywhere.  I basically walked in and out.

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/24/23 at 02:27:38

It was a sunny 70 degrees day here. I went on a bike ride today with Jerry's Records in Squirrel Hill, PA as a destination. This outlet boasts 500,000 Albums, 12" singles, 45s, and EP. Found the vinyl to be clean and priced fairly. For some reason, I thought my panniers would not fit albums so no purchase was made. Found out when returning home that the panniers will fit a dozen or so lps.

There will be a return trip for sure!

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/25/23 at 11:01:33

I spent some time listening to the 45rpm version of Fleetwood Macs Rumours LP; actually, spent time listening to my entire collection of FM.

The 45 version suffers from groove rub and snap, crackle, pop noise at a different pitch. This is not a bad thing but the result of playing at a different speed than normal. The copy I received has low noise but my ears surely picked up the difference in pitch of what noise there is easier because it simply was not at the normal pitch. It stuck out.

The music is raw, gritty, three dimensional bliss. A single hit on a cow bell at the beginning of a song is so distracting because its presence is unmistakable. Mick striking the drum heads brings a sense of the skins fabric texture and tightness. John’s bass notes are tauntingly tight blooming into richness. Lindsey’s guitar picking is sharp and cutting. Stevie’s sultry dry voice with hints of a sweet toddler's innocence is a joy on this copy. Christine with a deeper dry voice reminds me of Chrissie Hynde one of my favorite singers and may just top Chrissie on this pressing.

The final track on this album is interesting. It seems that the engineers pushed the dynamics on this one to the limits. It is a powerful summery of the whole album and a great song to boot.

Is it worth $50? For me yes, the old copy I had gone missing. It also gives me a reference of the differences in 45rpm record play.

I wonder what they could do with The Dance’s “Tusk” and “Don’t Stop” tracks. The Dance is one of my desert island must haves. It is very entertaining and well recorded. I think the DVD might have more dynamics then the CD. I do not have a copy on vinyl. My DVD copy is also missing! I think my brother borrowed it many years ago. Time to pay a visit!

John      

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #22 - 02/26/23 at 21:37:39

John,

Nice evaluation of the album.  Sucks that you had to deal with groove rub with the snap crackle and pop at a different pitch.  With the album having low noise…I guess it’s a blessing and a curse.  As you indicated..the final track is interesting and powerful.

My wife loves Fleetwood Mac but has yet to hear my new Rumours acquisition.  She far from an audiophile…but I’m guessing she’s going to really enjoy the new album.

Dom

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print