Best sounding vinyl recordings ?

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: Vinyl Recordings
Reply #1 - 02/18/23 at 03:52:36

A bit of a generic question….but the consensus is that Japanese recordings tend to quiet and cleaner compared to their US counterparts.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #2 - 02/19/23 at 03:46:00

That is a big question. I have records from the 60's, 80's, and the 2000's on. Honestly, it's mostly a crap shoot. Cost does not mean you will be happy. However, I will say the 2 most expensive records I have yet to purchase both sound great. I have been buying from Acoustic Sounds for years, and I have been mostly been happy. Analog Productions have been mostly solid, Concord/Craft, Third Man and Mofi have been hit and miss. Too many to mention.    

I am getting plenty of enjoyment from a $30 Contemporary Records reissue by Analog Productions. The cost doesn't have to be crazy. Vinyl is all I play.

Decware UFO2 / Rega P6 with Ania cartridge / Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre-amp / All Kimber cabling / Klipsch Heresy IV
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/19/23 at 23:00:02

I agree with previous thoughts that this is a big question for which there is no simple answer. There are general trends, as was stated Japanese pressings generally get good reviews, etc....

A good practice in the search for quality pressings is to look up the album you want on DISCOGS and look at the reviews under the various pressings. For some albums, this is unwieldy as there may be dozens of pressings. For others, you can sort through a fewer number and gain a feel for which pressing may be best for you.

Of course these are individuals reviewing the pressings/ records and therefore the criteria isn't consistent or objective. Many reviewers, however, realize that most don't want a review of the music, album, or artist but the pressing itself. I have had pretty good luck using this as a resource for pressing reviews and purchases.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/20/23 at 16:35:22

I have found SAM Records, Verve, Analog Productions, Blue Note, and Impulse are pretty fantastic.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/22/23 at 22:55:04

I will add Music On Vinyl.

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print