Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:08:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Favorite tube combos for Rachel?  6L6G? also (Read 1359 times)
thevinoman

Favorite tube combos for Rachel?  6L6G? also
02/03/23 at 14:13:47

This part of the forum has been dead for a while......

From the specs:

Output tubes EL34 or 6L6G or KT77 or KT88 or 6550 or 807 with adapter

Signal tube 6N1P, 6N23P, 6H1N, 6922, 6Dj8,7DJ8  or  6N2P

What have you tried, and what are your favorite combinations?

BTW, I just noticed that 6L6G is spec'd.  But not 6L6GA/B or 6L6GC.  Is there a reason for that?  I have all of them, but don't want to be plugging in a tube that's not appropriate....thanks.

IP Logged
Nick324

Re: Favorite tube combos for Rachel?  6L6G? also
Reply #1 - 07/09/23 at 21:05:02

Have had best SQ using 807 tubes.
Tried EL34 and did not like any. I have a bunch of 6L6, 6V6, and 6P3S-E / 5881 / 6L6GC. I am very curious if these would work, it’s an excellent tube and possibly hidden gem in its performance based on how good it works on different amp I have that’s actually specked for it…

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 07/15/23 at 15:50:24

We are using some National JAN 807's (with adaptors sourced from MaxiMatcher) and the JAN 5931 (5U4GW) rectifier. The input tubes are some Russian 6N1P's I think. The 807's have been my fav in this amp, I should move on all the other output tubes I have bought. Happy listening.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #3 - 07/30/23 at 20:29:09

Currently running KT66 and all seems fine along with great sound quality and character.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
DRHamp
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/21/23 at 22:23:21

Can the 6V6 be used in the Rachael?  It's one of my favorite tubes. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/26/23 at 14:28:34

A friend of mine let me check out his McIntosh MC60, which he had recently purchased on ebay. He's a rookie in stereo equipment, and when I told him that he had bought a mono-block, he was a bit disappointed that he would have to find another one for a full stereo setup.  But I told him I would be glad to check it out, to make sure everything worked.

This amp came stock with it's original tubes, KT88s and I believe they are original General Electric...couldn't really tell though as the labels were rubbed away, or what was a sticker was gone. But they were not reproduction tubes.  In fact all the tubes, were original.  Telefunken 12AX7s, GE 5U4G ...just amazing.  Nevertheless, I thought it would be fun to try the KT88s on the Rachel, to see if they had life in them and what the sound would be.

At first it took a little bit of time to let them come up to current, but they made it to 40mA, except for one tube seemed to have a bit of an issue.  Some gentle taps and movement in the base seemed to do the trick and she was up to 40mA.

I then put on some music, XTC's Ball and Chain 45rmp 12", and what I was treated to was a very detailed high end, and lows...well it seemed somewhat revealing.  I could hear the skin and air of the kick drum and it's resonance, was one of my initial impressions.  The highs were silky...I was just in awe of what I was hearing.   Non-fatiguing sound as I just didn't want to turn off the system ( had to as I had "responsibilities").  Everything I listened to, from CDs to vinyl just seemed to really come to life.

This tube replaced a pair of Seimens GrooveTube EL34s that I've had since the late 80s that were originally used on my Marshall amp. But that's one set of the many tubes I've put into the Rachel.   I have tried 807s, 6L6s, KT77s and various brands of EL34s.  All have their own characteristics and quite good and pleasing, but these KT88s made me hear something different than those other tubes.

All I got to say is that I really don't want to give these tubes back to my friend, but will have to soon...but in the meantime, these KT-88s seem to be my favorites.
I'm looking at prices for replacements.  Originals are totally out of my price range at this time, so I see there's Gold Lions out there, which I think I could swing...but these are not NOS so I'm not really sure if I should take the plunge.

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print