Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 12:49:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP325 + Solid State vs. Decware Integrated (Read 2683 times)
HiFi Bri

CSP325 + Solid State vs. Decware Integrated
01/31/23 at 00:20:43

I'm wondering what the concensus is regarding the difference in sonic character between a Decware pre-amp into a quality solid state power amp, vs. no pre-amp and just an integrated Decware amp. In other words, how do you think the two following scenarios would compare:

Decware CSP325 into a First Watt J7
vs.
just a Decware UFO 25th

The above scenario assumes quality sources and relatively sensitive speakers (95db and up).

Thanks for any insights and opinions!

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP325 + Solid State vs. Decware Integrated
Reply #1 - 01/31/23 at 01:00:27

I can't comment on the precise lineups you proposed, but I do have experience with a Decware pre into SS amp and Decware integrated.

My comparison was a CSP2+ with a Pioneer Exclusive M4 (pure 50w Class A bipolar.) On the Decware integrated side, I have both a Zen84 C+ and a Mini Torii.

Bottom line, the CSP2/3 preamps feed SS amps beautifully and match pure class A especially well. The main benefit to this setup is the ability to drive a wide variety of speakers well. Not sure, but I assume the J7 doesn't have the power of the M4.

The Zen84 C+ and Mini Torii are both amazing amps. In general, I use them when I want something more intimate (although my MT can rock too.) They can still play loud, but are limited in speaker options. Of course, if you go with one of the higher watt PP Decware amps, the speaker limitations are fewer. I have no experience with the PP amps, but I don't think many would say they sound the same as a UFO25. Not worse, just different.

I'd probably say the starkest difference between the CSP2+/ M4 vs Decware integrated is that the SS is more authoritative but loses some of the imagery compared to the Zen84 C+ and MT. Thus my comment earlier about my choice between which I listen to being based on desired speakers, genre, and volume/ intimacy level. Not that the C+ or MT can't get loud, but rather that they don't do so as convincingly as the CSP/ M4 combo. This is probably most noticeable when listening to complex music (classical) at higher volumes. The C+ and MT can do dynamics, but don't handle wide swings of complex music at higher volumes like the SS. On the other hand, the imagery ability of the C+ and MT can be very satisfying.

Are you starting from scratch or do you already have a J7? This may lead you to a different answer. A CSP3 will drive any amp you get, provide the ability to tune sound through tube rolling, and still be of use if you eventually get a Decware amp (riding the gain can really add a lot to your sound.) If you already have an amp, a CSP3 may make more sense.

On the other hand, I have read awesome things about the UFO25. With the possible exception of power limitations, I don't read about anyone having regret over their purchase. In fact, I have read somewhere (I think on this forum) that they do best the First Watt amps. I love my Decware amps.

Best of luck!

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/31/23 at 01:13:03

chapsjon has given you a great response. I have some experience with a Decware preamp and a few solid state amps in the past, and a recent one between a CSP3 with all the Mods and a CSP2+ with all the Mods with a DALAUDIO "chip amp" . . . . To be honest these preamps and the DALAUDIO amp are a very good match. The combo takes you nearly all the way there with imaging and soundstage, at least about 90 percent there, and I use it in a large room that my wife likes to have filled with loud sound (her hearing is worse than mine, which is odd as she's four years younger). Now if you don't need the POWER to fill a larger space or drive more difficult and/or inefficient speakers, the Decware amps (either an integrated or the amps with the gain controls) is going to be a bit better in the holographic and imaging departments. But with these preamps a lot of those characteristics are passed along to the solid state amp. And if you have both the preamp and the Decware amp. . . you've got the goods.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #3 - 01/31/23 at 01:37:38

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed replies.

I don't currently have a power amp  - I'm upgrading from a Rega Brio integrated and have been aiming for a UFO25. I began wondering if instead, i should be considering a Decware pre and a quality SS power amp.

Loudspeakers are Omega Jr. Alnico Towers rated @ 95db, though I don't have them yet.  These are also part of my upgrade journey, as I ordered them in November and should receive them within a week or so.

I generally listen near-field at moderate levels and am much more interested in holographic soundstage than slam. I listen to mostly jazz and acoustic music.

Based on all this, it sounds like I'm aiming in the right place with the UFO25, unless I were to eventually settle on a less sensitive speaker and require the heft of a SS amp in the chain.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #4 - 01/31/23 at 01:38:55

I forgot to add that I also have a ZRock on order, which I will very likely receive before whichever amp/pre-amp I decide on.

Source is a Rega P3 w/ GT subplatter.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/31/23 at 02:27:16

Others may have more to add that will be helpful, but when I listen to jazz and acoustic, I tend to prefer my SE84C+ or Mini Torii. They "bloom" (just sound better I guess) at lower volumes. My SS has to be played a little louder to achieve the same "fullness." As stated before, they do the holographic imaging better than the SS. Acoustic Jazz, such as Muddy Water's Folk Singer is absolutely sublime with either Decware integrated I own.

From what you've said about your listening preferences and speaker efficiency, it sounds like the SE84UFO25 would suit you better.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 01/31/23 at 03:50:17

FWIW I had Pass Aleph 2s (with various tube preamps, lastly an Audio Research LS25 MK2) for over 20 years and thought they were pretty close to the last word in detail and transparency. But then I got a pair of UFO amps, with the anniversary mods, and configured as balanced mono blocs and a pair of Omega Super AlNiCo monitors and the new system beat the old in every way, not just detail and transparency, but also dynamics and frequency extension and imaging. It is so good I got back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25 amps.

The only thing that prevents me from recommending the UFO25 is the missing preamp. For me, I just can't imagine having a system without a tube preamp. They add just the right touch of secret sauce that takes the sound from good to can't-turn-it-off. You're getting a ZROCK, which may be close enough, so I guess if I were in your position I'd go with the UFO25.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/02/23 at 16:37:54

I have a CSP3 paired with SS monoblocks and I’m very pleased with the combination. It’s not exactly the same as the previously owned Rachel paired with Klipsch RP-160s that I started with, but I graduated to less efficient but better sounding (to me) speakers and I needed more output to satisfy my ears.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/02/23 at 19:16:15

If one is building a single system only, then the only sure fire way is to hear it for yourself in your room with your other pieces.

If you are a person constantly playing around with gear , Ive found a tube preamp is an extremely valuable tool in evaluating gear both coming in and going out . I've heard cd players come to life that otherwise sounded dull as well as solid state power amps getting a new lease on life.

My csp2+ has become my 'cant live without' evaluation tool. Im sure modern versions have even more to offer.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/11/23 at 01:17:09

Filthnoise,

My system, as it is set up today, has a fully modded ZROCK2 feeding a fully modded CSP3.  The CSP3 with 25th mods is feeding two SS amps—a First Watt J2 and a LFD NCSE.  (My CSP3 has dual stereo outputs.)  The J2 is driving a pair of Voxativ 1.6 full range drivers wide open with no crossover.  The LFD is driving eight Pure Audio Project 15” NEO Woofers with a pair of inductors serving as 6db/octave crossovers at 100 hertz.

To my ears, in my room, with my system, the J2 reproduces gloriously beautiful music.  Just the right amount of detail and resolution for me.  When I bought the J2, Mark at Reno Hi-Fi told me that the J2 does not sound like a tube amp, but to my ears it sounds, surprisingly, very much like a great tube amp.  It might sound that way due to the ZROCK2 and the CSP3 25th in the signal path, but whatever the cause, it sounds as good as any amp I’ve had in my system across the past 51 years.  I also currently have a Cary 300SEI with extensive mods that is loaded with Western Electric 300B’s; the Cary and the First Watt take turns driving the Voxativ full rangers.  Both amps sound fantastic being fronted by the ZROCK2 and the CSP3-25th.

And yes, I also have owned two different Decware amps that were used in my main system without a preamp.  I didn’t care for the sound of either, but in all fairness to those amps, my digital front end was an OPPO 205 at that time, and it was very “digital” sounding compared to my current front end.  I also strongly suspect that a ZROCK2 and CSP3-25 fronting any Decware amp would likely allow me to tailor the sound much more to my liking than what I got when using Decware amps as stand alone integrated amps.

Doug

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print