Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 14:14:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS: Taboo Mk 4 Headphone/Speaker Amp (Read 1420 times)
Mike_L
Verified Member

FS: Taboo Mk 4 Headphone/Speaker Amp
01/24/23 at 19:29:22

Purchased new from Decware, ordered Jan 2021 and received Oct 2021.

110/120 Volts
Walnut Base
Gold Knobs
Standard 24K Gold/Teflon RCA Jacks
Power Cord

Options: Copper Foil Signal Caps, XLR Balanced Inputs

No scratches, flaws or blemishes with just a few hours of A/B headphone listening.

I would prefer to sell the amp without tubes, certainly w/o the original 6N1P input tube which has had a noticeable hum from the start when using a pair of ZMF Verite Open, however not noticeable with Hifiman Susvara. I replaced it with a known to be good tube and all quiet with the Verite. The two output tubes and rectifier are fine so if you want those we can talk. My preference is to ship the amp to Decware, let them check it over, supply new tubes, transfer the warranty and then ship to you. Decware’s turnaround is really good. The UFO2 that I sold a couple of weeks ago was shipped, repaired and shipped back, all within 2 weeks.

Original tubes available (except the 6N1P Input tube): Two 6P15P-EV output and one Svetlana 5u3C rectifier.

$2500.00

email is best: kfourkkl@gmail.com

Thanks,
Mike

cxc>tubadourIIIse>cj pv-1>firebottle kt-88>78 khorns; Sarah 300B on order
sme15/309>eq-500>D. Had 6flv-v>lii audio silver 10
cdt2-mk3>musetec mh-da005>dna stratus>susvara or bhse>stax sr009s
  IP Logged
Mike_L
Verified Member

Re: FS: Taboo Mk 4 Headphone/Speaker Amp
Reply #1 - 01/27/23 at 10:55:17

Well, looks like there is no love for the Taboo Mk 4. Is the price too high? Maybe there’s a buyer’s preference for a direct shipment without going through Decware? Want the tubes thrown in? Let’s talk!

This amp is practically new, lived in the back bedroom in its unopened box until a week ago when I finally unboxed it to A/B against a DNA Stratus (significantly more $$). The Stratus has hours on it so the comparison was lopsided I know but still the Stratus is the one I want to keep for now (perceived SQ). There are no issues with the Taboo except that I ordered it with black chickenhead knobs and it arrived with gold knobs. I’m sure Decware will swap these if they get the amp back to certify or if requested (the invoice states black chickenhead). I like the looks of the gold knobs but prefer the chickenheads for referencing.

The noisy (hum) 6N1P input tube was temporarily replaced with the one from my SE84UFO25 to confirm the hum source. That 6N1P is now back in the UFO25 so only 3 of the 4 original Taboo tubes are available.

As far as my preference to go through Decware is concerned I feel it’s a no-brainer for both seller and buyer. The details are at https://www.decware.com/newsite/service.html and I have no problem adjusting the asking price to facilitate this. Still I can certainly ship directly to the buyer with or without tubes. So make me a reasonable offer.  I’ve got a Sarah 300B that will be arriving later in the year so I need to feed the piggy bank.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 01/27/23 at 13:03:00

The Taboo Mk IV got some bad press here from a former member. . . I strongly disagree with his assessment of both its power delivery and sound. I have one, not in use at the moment and probably up for sale later, and it has been an excellent amp for both speakers and headphones. This model deserves a better reputation and more attention.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Mike_L
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/27/23 at 19:30:21

Hi Lon and thanks for the info. I was unaware of such and will see if I can find the pertinent posts. I don't know the topology of the taboo but with the same tube compliment as the UFO2 I can't see Steve deviating wildly on the design. We all know how good the UFO2 is. Thanks for all of your contributions over the years too and I will be looking for your Sarah 300B report.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 01/27/23 at 19:42:16

Well this is actually a different design that yields more power--the Taboo is a single-ended pentode rather than the UFO which is single-ended wired in triode mode. And the headphone section is wired differently than the preamps with headphone sections are.

Plus the Taboo MK IV has the excellent Lucid Mode with cross feed and extraction which can be fun to use to tailor the sound for both headphones and speakers.

It's a heckuvan amp. I think the one thing I would enjoy seeing as far as an upgrade would be voltage regulation, but with clean power coming in that is less of a need than a "want."

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tippy
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/28/23 at 06:02:42

Mike -

I send you an email to purchase the MK 4. I hope to hear back from you.

Best,
Tyler

IP Logged
Mike_L
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/28/23 at 11:13:50

Hi Tyler and welcome to Decware! I saw your email and replied this morning before seeing your post here. You will like the Taboo for sure.

Mike

IP Logged
Mike_L
Verified Member

Re: FS: Taboo Mk 4 Headphone/Speaker Amp -SOLD
Reply #7 - 01/28/23 at 13:19:01

SOLD