Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 08:18:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bach Recommendations (on vinyl)? (Read 974 times)
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Bach Recommendations (on vinyl)?
10/06/22 at 17:15:22

I'd love it if they were either trio/quartet, or primarily keyboard based.  

I have the Bach Trios album with Yo-Yo Ma and Chris Thile, and love it.  I also have Glen Gould's Goldberg variations.

Thank you in advance.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Re: Bach Recommendations (on vinyl)?
Reply #1 - 11/03/22 at 14:25:52

They are plenty.....Glen Gould id a very good start , but you have also "derived" Bach music getting jazzy with Jacques Loussier !
Then if you like organ....something like "Virgil Fox" in Cristal Clear Recording wich is direct pressing (is that the way to say it ? ).

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #2 - 11/03/22 at 15:08:17

Above are two of the forum members that post music links that I truly enjoy.

My hat is off !

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/03/22 at 16:26:58

I'm not tremendously experienced with Bach but I do like the Gould works and I like the Bach I have heard by Murray Perahia, especially his interpretations of the "English Suites" and "Partitas."

The Bach I most listen to are the cello suites! I find those interesting also arranged for other instruments such as contrabass violin, or guitar.

I also like a recording of a piece by C.P.E. Bach, the son of the famed Bach, on this cd of a performance on an organ built by my great great great great great grandfather, David Tannenberg:

https://ravencd.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=31

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 11/03/22 at 16:52:13

I'm a huge Bach fan. For keyboard music I can enthusiastically endorse Gould and Perahia. Also Andras Schiff. For the keyboard music played on harpsichord I really like Zuzana Ruzickova. The OP mentioned mentioned quartets and I like the string quartet arrangements of the Art of the Fugue, esp. by the Juilliard and/or Emerson quartets. And of course the Cello (and Violin) sonatas/partitas.

The iconic Bach works IMO, at least of his secular compositions are the Brandenburg Concertos. Also his concertos for violin, two violins and oboe and violin. If you want to dip your toe into something a little more esoteric there is the Magnificant, and the B Minor Mass (you can start with just the first two movements, the Kyrie and Gloria). You can also try a couple of my favorite cantatas, BWV 79 and 80.

I don't think much of this is available on (new) vinyl, but should be getable from your favorite streaming service.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/03/22 at 19:58:27

I am also a big fan of J.S.Bach.... I tried above to stay in the demand of vinyl recordings, certains artists/orchestras have often less an adequate recordings , it is a bit of a coin tossing, some labels are seldom good/pleasant.....with Cristal Clear there is no mistake.
Usually the latest recordings are made in studio and I prefer when taken into a hall/church/else where the atmosphere of the "room" is present but harder to be done....and of course organs are always in this case.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print