04/24/24 at 05:58:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another jazz man (Read 1245 times)
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Another jazz man
09/02/22 at 09:36:10

During the 70's there was a trend of "nordic" jazzmen with Arne Domnerus and his "Jazz at the pawnshop", but also a very special drift from another saxophonist, Jan Garbarek, and you can have an idea of his search with three very different albums, but not only, "Rites" , "Madar" and "Ragas & Sagas".
You'll notice that he plays with Anouar Brahem I mentioned in a previous post, but also Ustad Shaukat Hussain, Manu Katché, John Surman etc.... if you search for these guys, you'll discover an all lot more of flavours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg8pEb4hGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_zCxUBbbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2M0Hd0vPk

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Another jazz man
Reply #1 - 09/02/22 at 11:28:26

Very interesting musicians that I have investigated over the years and though not my steady diet, they produce enjoyable music. I have more of Jan's recordings though most of his I have is with Keith Jarrett.

The "Pawnshop" recordings are nice, though I think many listen to them because of their deserved "audiophile" reputation.

One of the famous jazz musicians from Europe that I have collected is Lars Gullin. He was an excellent composer and a compelling soloist. I also grab all that I can of the Clarke Boland Big Band and the small group recordings of theirs and soloists such as Sahib Shihab and Fats Sadi. I tend to focus on older recordings because jazz before fusion is my favorite form; much of contemporary "jazz" has incorporated a lot of elements from other genres and has become somewhat diluted in my opinion. . . i'ts great if it's enjoyed by others but many recordings don't have enough of the tradition for me. But I dip my toes into the waters on occasion.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/02/22 at 12:41:35

Quote:
many recordings don't have enough of the tradition for me

I understand that, I am the same sometimes, when it is too far out I consider it to be a different music but I have no name for it.

Quote:
I tend to focus on older recordings because jazz before fusion is my favorite form

Jazz before "Free jazz" and after is my favorite, traditional dixie and guys like David Sanborn are great.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/02/22 at 12:56:45

Leon,

I didn't know Boland so I am discovering.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/02/22 at 12:59:26

Cool. To me he digested the jazz world of Ellington--who I adore--and brought his own modernism in. And Kenny Clarke was a big influence on my own drumming.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/02/22 at 13:25:11

T, if you're interested in checking out another jazz discussion thread on the internet, some years ago I started this one on the Steve Hoffman forum and it has grown to have an interesting and international contributor base that leads to thoughtful discussion and new discoveries.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/listenin-to-jazz-and-conversation.586956/...

IP Logged
elenanieves
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/15/23 at 11:07:50

cool Smiley Thank you for sharing

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print