03/29/24 at 02:39:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Out of body in a box (Read 2766 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Out of body in a box
08/22/22 at 11:31:20

I have two UFO 25s on order and plan to get pretty, uh, intimate with them because of the space they will go into. I'm wondering if there is any point in having a section of the forum dedidated to nearfield listening environments and speakers that work best in them.

I have not set up my space yet -- waiting for amps to arrive -- but it will be a 7 x 10 foot closet with all walls lined with objects on bookshelves, mostly books. Tatami floor. There will even be a rack of clothes on hangers behind the listening position, which will face the center of the long side of the room/closet.

The speakers will be about 3 ft from each ear but could go to 4 ft.

Most discussion about small speakers is about whether they can fill a room, and whether a SET amp can deliver the needed power. I'm more wondering about speakers that are small but can compete with the best headphones in the world, so to speak. When the speakers are 3 ft from your ears you really hear them.

Low eEfficiency with 6 watts/channel would not seem to be much of an issue. I'm listening to some PC speakers in the space now at what I'd consider a high level, and the peaks are 77 dB.

As I gaze at my speakers, I wonder, what is the best speaker in the world that will never be more than 4 ft from my head? Is there even a category like this?

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Re: Out of body in a box
Reply #1 - 08/22/22 at 11:45:01

I have used Omega 3i and CAM (custom in a size slightly larger than the 3i) in a desktop setup that works with the speakers about 4 feet apart.

They sound WAY better than my Atticus headphones.

I'd recommend Omega - though I also use a sub (Omega) to give a little bass.

Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/22/22 at 11:57:25

Darn it Bugermeester you compelled a response past my 1 hour alloted time Smiley

Steve's Tiny Radials will do well with a blended sub all connected to one of those UFO25's.

Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/22/22 at 13:58:15

With such a small room I don't think it's technically near field. Near field has to do with the reflected sound from the speakers.

in a 20x20 room with the speakers and listening position in a 5x5x5 triangle that would be near field.

in a 7x7 room with the speakers and listening position in a 5x5x5 triangle that would not be near field as the reflections are so intense at the listening position.

Do you have speakers now?

I don't have much experience with small speakers so I'll leave that to others.

For such a small room—that is being made even smaller with bookshelves—treatment is mandatory.

https://www.acousticfields.com/product/acoustic-foam/ Order a pack of 5 XL sheets of the foam. All four walls and the ceiling. It's light and easy to move so you can move it out of the way to access the room, book and anything else in the room. You can easily cut it to make custom sizes to fit the room better.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/22/22 at 14:45:13

Burgermeester,
The space you describe is basically the same as the original impetus for the BBC designed LS3/5a. They needed a monitor for use in mobile sound vans. While very inefficient, LS3/5a's are known to play well with tube amps and to sound fantastic in small spaces/ near field. Part of this is their sealed design and intentional emphasis on glorious midrange to best replicate the human voice.

I have written about my KEF 101's that I use in my bedroom with an SE84C+. They are very similar to LS3/5a's. As I use them for late night quiet listening, I can't say for sure how they would work for general use, but they can easily play into the high 70s/ low 80s dbs in a small room as you've described with an SE84. LS3/5a'a are highly collectible, which is why I went for the KEF 101'a at about 25% of the price. As long as you get a good pair, they are easy to sell should you decide they are not for you.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/22/22 at 23:17:56

... and I thought my room was small.

I can only hope that all that shelving has enough diffusion/absorption to serve you well.

One mention of destops and I also think of mixing desk tops with speakers three or four feet away. One watt can make you want to turn it down.

I have tried many single drivers on the market and after years of trying everything I could afford, I keep coming back to the Visatons up close with some additional bottom help.

I think it may be what Steve has said in several papers; powerful magnet structure, tiny moving mass, high efficiency wins the day.

I'm anxious to hear more of your thoughts as you build things up your way.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/26/22 at 05:12:19

This is not about a small listening space but it covers one type of speaker I was thinking about, and makes a few interesting observations made in a way I hadn't heard before, e.g. about speaker cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wx-nc2M_l8

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/26/22 at 18:45:25

I can’t add anything technical Burgermeester, but having just shopped and sat in listening rooms for hours, the Audio Note K series was quite impressive. Speakers were about 4 feet apart and the sitting distance was about the same. Was really impressed with the “fullness” of the music. I even looked at the owner because the set up was quite different than I am used to. I will add though that there was space behind me. They sounded great and I’m debating them for my bedroom set up. Good luck

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #8 - 08/27/22 at 12:27:47

Who says you can’t take it with you

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/27/22 at 13:38:45

Yup, looks like a coffin to me. I'm just wondering where you are going to plug in the components? Most cemetery plots don't come with AC hook ups😂🤣.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/27/22 at 13:40:05

If you have any interest in DIY you might have a look at GR Research model LGK (little giant killer), a speaker that is designed to work in the near field. For true low end extension it needs a subwoofer but it could fit your situation neatly. I have not heard these but Danny Ritchie's other products have impressed me with their stellar response.

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #11 - 08/27/22 at 14:15:32

Although I haven’t heard the little giant killer I am familiar with GR upgrade kits for speakers.
I especially like his measurement details and the specifics he offers when examining a Speaker, He shows the weeks points and explains why he’s upgrading to higher quality components in those specific spots.  BTW There is a new black hole solar panel that is available as an upgrade on the anniversary model.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print