Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:40:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DHC-3 vs DHC-2 vs DHC-1 (Read 3575 times)
effluviography
Seasoned Member

DHC-3 vs DHC-2 vs DHC-1
05/31/22 at 01:26:46

Hi all,

Has any tried the new power cords - in comparison to the old DHC-1? I'm considering getting some new ones as the shielding should helps some intermittent hum problems I'm having.

Was planning on getting 2 to start for the Emotiva CMX-6 I use to power my main system and also one for the Mini-torii. Was thinking of the DHC-3 despite their weird bending characteristics.

By the way, the Emotiva CMX-6 was a very cost effective upgrade to sound quality - the only problem is I like the stock cable for my headphone system and a DHC-1 for my speakers - so I switch as needed. Hoping a DHC-3 might make the switching less necessary. CMX-6 made headphones (ZMF Atticus through CSP3) sound incredible.

Currently I use DHC-1 on all my components.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Cheers to you all - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: DHC-3 vs DHC-2 vs DHC-1
Reply #1 - 05/31/22 at 01:39:45

I used the DHC-3 for a month in two places: as a power cord for a power supply to the analog section of my DAC, and then as a power cord for a headphone amplifier.

It's a very good cable. I have not used the original Decware cables for many years but from my memories of them this new one is more open and dynamic sounding--a "faster," "quieter" cable. It punches well above it's price point.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/31/22 at 02:11:29

Bought one for my new amp Lon, been thinking about getting another for my new Dac. Sounds like that might be a good investment. Haven't used it yet, still in the package. Only going by reviews.

Joseph

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/31/22 at 03:30:14

I too have found the EMotiva CMX-6 to be a great investment. What type of streamer are you using to feed the Denafrips, or are you strictly using your phono? I might have a suggestion...

An inexpensive improvement in digital sound quality can be had for less than $130US:

Put your router in a separate room (use a good quality gaming router rather than the one from your ISP if possible);

connect it to a Tp-Link MC200CM Gigabit SFP to RJ45 Fiber Ethernet Converter ($28). By converting to fiber you drop all unwanted noise from  your feed;

run the fiber ethernet cable to your system and connect it to another Tp-Link MC200CM Gigabit SFP to RJ45 Fiber Ethernet Converter ($28), which converts the signal back into wired ethernet;

connect that to a Cisco CBS1105T network switch ($46) powered with an iFi iPower ($74);

then connect your streamer to this switch as well as your PC (if you're using it as a Roon core, for example), and from there to the Denafrips.

You'll find a blacker background, less noise, broader and deeper soundstage, improved clarity, and gremlin hums vanish.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/31/22 at 05:16:46

For digital, I use my MacBook Pro with an external SD drive for stored AIFF files or Qobuz for streaming - both through Audirvana. USB to Ares 2 from Mac.

Modem and Router are not in the same room as system - use Google Mesh throughout our townhome for WIFI.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/31/22 at 16:48:10

Just in the last week I bought two DHC2 and a DHC3 (thanks Lon!). The DHC3 arrived first and I connected it to my SE84C-EX. The previous cord was just some generic fat black cord the previous owner sent with the amp. The DHC3 was a huge improvement and I was a power cord sceptic, no longer am I skeptical. While I've only used it for about 15 hrs since Friday, it's seriously like plugging in a completely different amp. Beyond anything, the music is more effortless, volume control is smoother - I can ease the volume up now and the whole soundstage seems to become larger in volume (HxWxL) without sounding "amplified".  

As for the DHC2's, the original plan was to use one on the SE84 and the other on my Jolida JD9. Those arrived Saturday and I plugged one into the JD9. The JD9 is a gain monster, the first night the sound was a bit more edgy. 2nd and 3rd night that edginess has gone away. Besides that initial edginess, the DHC2 on the JD9 didn't wow me anywhere near as much as the DHC3 on the SE84. I rarely use this system to stream, when I sit to listen it's 99% vinyl.

So I have this brand new DHC2 in the box, what should I use it for? My garage/workshop has a Denon 3806, JBL 4311 and an Airport Express. The garage is the last frontier for speakers, if they got this far it's their last chance before going bye bye. What the hell, might as well use the DHC2 there to get some hours on it. I never cared for the 4311's, now I see what the fuss is all about. I played Ginger Baker's African Force yesterday afternoon and was blown away that I was in my garage. I've left that 3806 on all night and plan to do so all week. Then I'll try the DHC2 on the Decware amp. Right now I don't think it would be a fair comparison as the DHC3 has many more hours on it.

That's my limited experience with the cords, not sure it helps.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/31/22 at 17:06:32

My experience with power cabling is that there is a cumulative effect in a system so I would recommend using the Decware power cords on components within the main system to see how that improves the overall system sound. In my systems I start with any electrical treatment I might have using an IEC connection cord, and then power amps, and then source or preampfification components.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/31/22 at 18:44:12

I'm glad you gave the DHC* a try! It's a step on the path of trusting yourself (ears). Isn't it wild how something like that can make such a difference?

If you don't have higher end power cables for all your components try switching it around a little. It will be a good learning experience.

Quote:
My experience with power cabling is that there is a cumulative effect in a system...

To expand on this. Most things in the system are like this. Over the last few months I've been upgrading footers, getting modest improvements. Once the last component was on the new footers, a major improvement was realized.

I used a combination of Wave Kinetics A10 U8 and A10 U8R. Significant upgrade over Herbies Tenderfoot and Isoacoustics Orea.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/01/22 at 01:58:57

Sean, Lon & Groovy - that was all helpful. I'm leaning toward ordering 2x DHC3s and trying them with the amp and the cmx-6 - and see how it goes. And I'll probably try them on different components too to see what change they make individually.

It is always surprising how every little thing has an effect. Sometimes to a shocking degree. Cheers.

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/01/22 at 13:00:48

Well, I just ordered 2x DHC-3 cables. I'll let you know what I think compared to the DHC-1 once I get them and they are broken in.

Thanks to all for the help,

Scott

IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/01/22 at 18:18:58

I'll add my two cents. I switched the DHC1 to my ZLC with the DHC3, and replaced the PCs to the UFO2s, ZR2, ZP3 and CSP3 with DHC2. I noticed the system is quieter. For example, the hum from the ZLC (although minor) is now almost entirely gone. Hum from SUT>ZP3 is also reduced. I previously done all the things to eliminate SUT hum via component/cable positioning. The DHC2 seems to provided further improvement. I also noticed bass is richer, deeper, so much so I have found myself turning down the ZR2. If I had more patience it probably would have been better to replace the PC one component at a time to assess the impact on SQ at the component level. Oh well. For me the DHC3/2 have provided noticeable improvements and were worth the money.

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 08/11/22 at 02:22:12

Looking for some advice on PCs. I’m planning to buy 2 PCs - one for my ZP3 and one for a 300B SET integrated. I also will need one for my ZR2 on order once that arrives.

I purchased a DHC 1 at the beginning of the year right before they got discontinued. I’ve been pretty satisfied with it on my ZP3 compared to the stock cable and a cheap Chinese “audiophile” cable, but don’t have much of a frame of reference. My plan is to move this to my DAC (I’m a heavy vinyl listener) and get new cables for the rest of the gear.

My question is, are the DHC3s that good that I should wait until these are back in stock and get two for the Amp and ZP3? Or is the DHC2 sufficient for the ZP3 and I should get a DHC3 for the amp? I’m also open to other suggestions on cords, but would like to stay in the same general price as the Decware PCs. Also does anyone have a sense on when the DHC3s will be back in stock?

Technics SP-10mkii | Hana ML | Cinemag SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8rs) | ZLC | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 08/11/22 at 02:25:30

DHC-3 inventory is being updated in the coming week(s)

WWW   IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 08/11/22 at 02:29:16

Thanks Steve! I’ll keep an eye out for the restock

Technics SP-10mkii | Hana ML | Cinemag SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8rs) | ZLC | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/11/22 at 09:10:04

I'm wondering if the lack of power cables shorter than 1.5 meters is a hint that I should be keeping my power sockets reasonably far away from the sources and amplifiers?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/11/22 at 11:39:53

I think it has more to due with physics. The single power outlet is not very easily moved and at a distance from the components which are relatively close to each other. So no.

I did customize my power cords lenghts to fit the layout. I'm finicky with that sort of thing Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #16 - 08/27/22 at 01:39:24

No experience with the former. Purchased the DHC3 for use in my pre-amp. Also installed the new silver interconnects from TT to phono preamp to preamp. Honestly feel all made a significant improvement. If looking at just the DHC3, only that is new in the chain when using the DAC. I am dumbfounded in why it sounds so much better over the stock cable. Amortize the expense over the life of a system and it is less than pennies a day. Seems worth it to me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print