Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:18:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How many amps does Torii mk iv draw (Read 2352 times)
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

How many amps does Torii mk iv draw
08/21/22 at 22:27:43

Does anyone know how much amperage the Torii mkiv draws? I'm looking to use a 10 amp surge protector (non-sacrificial) for my system, which includes a turntable, ss phono pre, sabre chip DAC, and cd player. I'm certain the amp draws more than all the rest combined.

Thank you.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Re: How many amps does Torii mk iv draw
Reply #1 - 08/21/22 at 23:20:47

I also have a 10 amp power conditioner (APC H10) that handles my turntable, tube phono preamp, line preamp, DAC, and CD player. When I had my Torii Mk IV also plugged in, it never once indicated overdraw, even at startup.

I looked through the Torii manual and didn't see a spec for power draw, but I think we can surmise it's less than 5 amps at all times or it would blow the fuse. I'd guess that after startup it's significantly less than 5 amps and that you're correct that the rest of your equipment combined draws even less.

All that said, my Torii sounded way better when I plugged it directly in to the wall. The rest of the components sounded the same or better run through the conditioner. The H10 is certainly not a high dollar/high spec conditioner, so it probably can't deliver the current needed by the Torii. Your surge unit may do a better job.

David

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/22/22 at 01:29:22

David,

Thank you for the response.

Regarding the sq, I've read that a lot from others saying the same thing you experienced. People using non sacrificial surge protection do not as often experience the decreased sq. I'm hoping the one I'm getting will be better sq.

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/22/22 at 04:11:13

Don't do it.

The Tori Mark IV probably pulls less than 2 amps (120 V).  However, there is a good reason we spend money on a very heavy power cord.  An amplifier may average 200 watts but it needs access to very high currents for very short periods of time.  The traditional "surge protectors" and "power conditioners" don't allow the amp access to the power it needs and dynamis are lost, often heard first on bass.  

I use a PS Audio PP10, which is a regenerator and does not limit power at all.  It weighs 80 lbs.  

But your best bet is to plug it into the wall.  Do your own test on a sunny day (I assume you are worried about lightning).  Listen for 2 hours plugged into your power strip and then 2 hours in the wall.  I think you'll hear the difference (unless your power cord is too small and also limiting).
Jerry

PS  My PP10 measures load and my total system load is 200 watts.  I think about 180 of it is the ZMA.  Torii mk4 is probably about the same.

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/22/22 at 05:34:42

Great advice, Carlsbad. I, however, do not have the $ for the ps audio power device. I do not believe the furman ac- 215a has the same electronics as most surge protectors also pretending to be power conditioners. I might be wrong and if I am, I will let everyone know. Thanks again. 10 amps will be just fine it seems.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/22/22 at 13:33:30

According to the Torus AVR 15, the Torii MKIV pulls ~1.4A or 170 watts. The large value fuse is for start up surge.

Running a thicker gauge cable on the amp does change the sound. Running a thicker cable on a ZROCK2 also changes the sound.

Here is a reading of total system current draw.

Voltage In:      111V
Voltage Out:      118V
Current Out:      3.3A

Without the 2 Plasmatrons on it pulls 2.4A

10A surge protector is more than enough.

Many power strips even pricy "audiophile" ones ruin the sound. Just need to try them.

Before I got the Torus I was running a PiAudio uberBUSS direct into the wall. I would unplug the system often. Once I got the Torus I feel much more comfortable leaving the system on and plugged in. Only unplugging when really bad storms roll through.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/22/22 at 23:58:17

GS,

Thank you for the detailed and objective response. Outstanding!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/23/22 at 11:05:28

Glad to be of service.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/01/22 at 19:50:52

Safebelayer,
You promised feedback after you tried the surge protector.  Any thoughts?  Hope you've been belaying safely and your belayer has been reliable.  Several fatalities in the past year in Socal.
Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/01/22 at 20:08:08

I think the Furman has little effect on the sound if at all. As always needs to be said, YMMV.

Caveat: I'm not hypercritical of a system's sound reproduction like many. If it sounds good than I'm generally satisfied.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print