03/28/24 at 22:50:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZMA or MK5 (Read 2824 times)
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

ZMA or MK5
08/10/22 at 22:44:45

Hey guys. One of the benefits of the waitlist is not having to rush into any decisions! I initially put myself down for the MK5 and now l’m also interested in the ZMA. There aren’t many reviews out there and from the descriptions I’ve read they both appear to be more linear than the ufo’s.
Would love to hear more of a comparison between the 2. I will be using the csp3 and running them through Audio Note an-e/lx’s. Any input into these 2 amps would be greatly appreciated. Earthbound
P.s. Any strengths of one over the other or weaknesses etc…..

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: ZMA or MK5
Reply #1 - 08/11/22 at 04:55:03

It seems like the big difference is the ZMA runs the tubes harder to get 2 dB more headroom. The TORII has tube rectifiers (which may or may not be an advantage to you) and the ZMA has a sophisticated bias system for the output tubes. I would say the main reason to pick the ZMA would be if you want the watts.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/11/22 at 05:12:41

I have a ZMA in socal (north San Diego County) and if anyone has an MK5 and wants to come over and do some testing I think that would be a blast.  

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/11/22 at 05:29:59

That’s a cool idea Carlsbad. I hope someone takes you up on that offer. Sounds like fun.
I honestly don’t know the importance of tube rectifiers CAJames. I have some homework to do! Thanks to both of you for responding.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/11/22 at 05:34:57

Okay I’m assuming if an amp doesn’t have tube rectifiers, something else is converting ac into dc. Is there a sound difference as a result of this conversion or as a result of the way it’s converted?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 08/11/22 at 05:54:55

As a practical matter tube rectifiers give you another option for tuning the sound of your amp. But they are something else you need to buy and replace when they go bad. Solid state rectification lasts almost forever and was turned by Steve. So you can’t mess with it, which is either an advantage or disadvantage depending on your point of view.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/11/22 at 14:47:14

Thanks for the explanation CAJames. I suppose having one less tube to replace could be advantageous. You still have like 8 others to play with! 🤪

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/11/22 at 14:51:40

As for tube rectifiers vs ss rectifiers.  I moved from Rachel (tube rectifier) to ZMA (ss rectifier).   I enjoyed rolling tubes into the rachel rectifier and found that the EML 5u4G sounded great.  

On the ZMA, we have tube voltage regulators and I've enjoyed swapping tubes in them.  Lately I'm finding VR90s from sylvannia in the early 50's are very nice sounding.

After reading a thread on upgrading the zma by a member who swapped out almost every component in it, I do plan to replace the diodes with higher quality components.  Not expecting the results to be earth shattering though.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 08/11/22 at 19:18:11

Quote:
Posted by: Carlsbad      Posted on: Today at 14:51:40

...After reading a thread on upgrading the zma by a member who swapped out almost every component in it...

Yeah, I don't know why or how but that was one of the first threads I read when I got on this site. Even if you aren't interested in a ZMA it is a great introduction to the guts of a tube amp and what "boutique" parts can do.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1554416974

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/12/22 at 02:01:13

That was an interesting read. It made me wonder if I should ask Steve what changes I should have done while they’re building it. Truthfully though, I’m not sure it would really matter to me. This is my first foray into this level. It’s like asking a person who is trying caviar for the first time to distinguish between various types! I’m sure both kick as with the anniversary mods.

IP Logged
derekinla
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 08/12/22 at 03:41:10

Sonic differences aside, I think it is worth reinforcing the point that the difference in how loud you can drive your speakers between the Torii Jr-V2 or the MK5 vs the ZMA is just 3 dB. It takes a doubling of power for every 3 dB increase in SPL's. The Torii Jr and Torii MK5 (both rated at 20 watts) gets you about 12dB of SPL, while the ZMA gets you 15 dB of volume.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/12/22 at 17:22:18

Thanks derekinla. I wasn’t aware of the “math” with decibels and watts. I’m always concerned when I have to turn the volume up and I’m over 50-60%. I feel as if the amp is working too hard. As a result, I am leaning towards more wattage. I’m even looking at the monos now. Not quite sure how the csp3 would be integrated.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 08/12/22 at 17:46:02

There's a pair of Torii Monos for sale on US Audiomart. . . nice pics.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/12/22 at 17:57:03

Earthbound,

To your question, "how the CSP3 would be integrated"? A preamp is used to connect source equipment to an amplifier. In most set ups it is used primarily to adjust volume of the system.  Since Decware amplifiers have built in volume controls, its not essential to have a preamp.

What the CSP3 in conjunction with a Decware amp provides is an ability to adjust the gain both at the amp and preamp. It provides additional gain in the system and the added flexibility of having more than one music source.

So a system with a CSP3 preamp would look like this:

Source equipment -- CSP3 preamp -- amplifier -- speakers

Adding a preamp will require an additional pair of interconnects, the length depending on how far away you place your source equipment from the amplifier. Hope this helps visualize things better.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/12/22 at 19:25:56

Thanks Hockessinkid. My confusion is how to split the preamp signal to 2 mono blocks versus a single amp.
I would like to have the csp3 involved due to the headphone compatibility.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/12/22 at 19:33:27

Just looked those up Lon. Boy that’s tempting. Might just send an email. Thanks for pointing that out. 🤞🏻

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 08/12/22 at 19:33:39

If they are true Monoblocks such as the Torii Monos or the SE84UFO3 pair then each just has one channel per amp and so one interconnect from the preamp (right) goes to one Monoblock, and the other (left) to the other Monoblock.

If you are bridging stereo amplifiers then the cabling that CA has mentioned in this forum would give you bridged mono in each amplifier, or a Y-cable could be used to take each channel from the preamp to one of the stereo amplifiers (which would not bridge the output in a balanced way).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/12/22 at 19:44:53

Thanks Lon, I was just about to respond and then you replied. My thoughts exactly.

Earthbound, the CSP3 comes standard with front mounted headphone jacks. You need to specify the jack type when you ordered based on the headphone cable termination you use.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/12/22 at 21:30:00

Thanks guys. I don’t remember what I put down since I don’t have headphones yet. I wasn’t even aware that there were different ends until I had to click the box. I looked up the ZMF that Decware offers and they seemed to get some good reviews. I assumed whatever ends are on those are pretty standard. Will have to take a closer look as the build date arrives.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print