04/18/24 at 06:22:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wood (Read 1963 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Wood
08/03/22 at 10:23:33

I assume we're mostly sticking close to the usual lineup of woods for our Decware components. I asked, and was told, that there isn't a huge number of photos of what has been produced so far by Steve's woodshops.

I sense a missed commercial opportunity for DW here. After the trauma of waiting 2+ years -- your child is now below 100 on the wait list and you suddenly want to do it right, plus you realize it will outlive you and you want it in a museum, or to sell for something outrageous when the DW queue reaches 7 years and global warming has wiped out half the wood species (just being practical) -- you could well find yourself with a sudden urge to go for, I don't know, merpuah or tigerwood or something. Or vibranium.

Any wood comments from those with experience in this woody area would be interesting.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Wood
Reply #1 - 08/03/22 at 10:34:18

Koa wood for the win!

Highly figured Koa is stunning wood!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/03/22 at 12:10:18

OK. Quite a bit softer than padauk, apparently, but beautiful and not soft in absolute terms.

I hear padauk has a tendency to darken over medium time frames, which leaves it less pretty than the photos we see.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/03/22 at 12:19:30

Go to Steve's Tiny Radial site to see the many different exotic woods he used on the speakers. Some are very impressive one of a kind that he purchased from eBay, etc.. Maybe if you found something you like and purchased you could get Ziggy or any wood worker to make a base. The bases are very much a simple box. Hey there is an idea for Decware of selling baseless amps only to be fitted by the end user with their choice of wood trimmings. Might help speedup shipping times!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/03/22 at 12:23:18

Padauk is an oily wood. It has a tendency to gum up machinery and cutters.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/03/22 at 21:07:09

might be a worthwhile trip to a nearby shop that stocks exotic hardwoods as you may be really surprised on how much variation there is in coloration and grain even within 1 species.

i was looking for a piece of ebony once and was amazed at all the different variations..... some hard contrasting dark to light colorations some almost looking like marble.

you'll also possibly get a wake up call on prices !  thats why I chuckle whenever I read someone poking fun at Decwares pricing on their tol baffles. Obviously they havent shopped for hardwoods in awhile or realize the skill/experience it takes working with those woods to avoid expensive waiste.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/03/22 at 21:19:58

Ive been tossing ideas around in my head for building custom bases for my Decware pieces but more than likely I'll be using veneers on mdf as A) cheaper B) none of my saws/blades/bits are up to snuff for working with pricey hardwoods.
Bossing around pine/mdf/plywood is one thing and cutting/molding/shaping hardowwds can be like working with glass at times. Chipping , kickback , marks can be a drag when you're staring at that $200 slice of wood you just ruined and didnt have room for error.

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/04/22 at 13:49:51

Visit Cook Wood’s website. They offer an amazing selection of hardwood and their photography is pretty good. I’ve bought quite a bit of turning wood from them.

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #8 - 08/05/22 at 00:00:19

FWIW, I got Rachael dressed in birdseye maple to match my CAMs.  Made a nice combination for me.

ChrisC

Smiley

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 08/05/22 at 01:14:52

Quote:
Posted by: ChrisC      Posted on: Today at 00:00:19
FWIW, I got Rachael dressed in birdseye maple to match my CAMs.  Made a nice combination for me.

Pics or it didn't happen.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print