Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 18:03:07 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turntables-What say ye? (Read 15489 times)
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Turntables-What say ye?
07/19/22 at 18:24:35

So, I placed an order for a zp3, as an afterthought when I ordered the mk5 and csp3. Wasn’t sure I was going to go down the vinyl route. Have a Cambridge streamer modded with tubes from ModWright and a CD player. I got the call from Decware that the zp3 is on the bench! Called to confirm and sure enough, someone who ordered one with the exact mods cancelled. Now I’m receiving the phono stage before any other Decware equipment. Not really convinced I want to start listening to vinyl. I tentatively settled on the Rega Planar 6 with the Exact 2 cartridge. A couple of questions;
1. Anyone familiar with this unit and how it pairs with Decware gear?
2. Does vinyl add “enough” to justify the cost? I know worth it is very subjective.
3. Does anyone enjoy vinyl so much more than streaming and cd through a quality dac unit?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or feedback.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Turntables-What say ye?
Reply #1 - 07/19/22 at 18:33:26

My two cents:  I have a Rega RP3 with all the Groovetracer mods, the TTPSU and the Exact2 which puts it further up the chain and similar I would wager to an RP6 or RP8.

I used to use a ZP3. This combo is just amazing. You will have great sound. I really do enjoy the sound of vinyl, it's different from and equally enjoyable to me to the sound of cd and SACD which I listen to all the time (I don't stream). There are many who PREFER the sound of vinyl. I just enjoy analog and digital, and I have so many more cds than vinyl that I listen to cds more. But the Rega and the ZP3 will bring you great enjoyment.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/19/22 at 19:28:20

if you have never ever dipped your toe into the vinyl pool ?? be aware ( dont fear) that there are alot of bumps in the road with vinyl lp's . Along with the joy of a good play can also bring some disappointments as well like surface noise ( various degrees ), inner groove distortion , jumping/skipping grooves for whatever reason etc etc ....oh and the cost . I just bought a mfsl kind of blue from a friend who bought it new and was frustrated that it had numerous loud pops n ticks . I agree it is kind of hard to listen to but then again my ears can adjust to noisy used soul , country records ( that i play on lesser gear) so......  alot of heartbreaks as well as joys in collecting/listening to vinyl. Just be accepting of a few moments of ugly to go along with all the analog beauty.

I have thousands of lp's and at least 8 turntables but still every day I wonder if I should just stick to cd play ( i dont stream) . So far ? well I am going crate digging today  :)

Pretty sure you'd have no problem reselling the zp3 if you changed your mind.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 07/19/22 at 19:29:06

Here's my 2 cents. When I first got into "audio" back in the 80's it was the golden age of used records, and I acquired probably 2000 and most of them were a buck or two. I had a pretty nice analog front end and (most) records sounded better than (most) digital. Fast forward almost 40 years (seriously?) and I still have a pretty nice analog front end, but digital sounds so good and is considerably more convenient and, long story short, I'm down to maybe a couple hundred albums and listen to digital 95% of the time or more.

I guess to address your questions directly do you already have records? People talk about a "vinyl renaissance" but of the last dozen or so current production LPs I've bought over the last several years most of them just aren't that good, and cost way more than a CD or digital download (I don't stream). So I guess knowing what I know now if I were starting out I wouldn't spend the thousands of dollars necessary for a nice analog front end to play the crop of LPs available today. I would much rather put those resources into the rest of my system. But again, this is just one reporters opinion.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/19/22 at 19:39:56

adding to CAJames , thats also a fun bonus finding cheap lp's so its always nice to have a table around. you never know when you're going to stumble upon a nice little score for not much money then all of a sudden you have alot of new music to listen to.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/19/22 at 20:30:46

I will only address one of your questions.

You will be very well served by the P6. I had a Rega P1 and loved it. When upgrading I demoed both a P6 and Technics SL-1200GR.  I went with the GR but that was more personal taste/esthetics. They each had their strengths when it came to music reproduction.   I would have been very happy with the P6.

The Exact is a nice cartridge, and some of the fun with TTs is swapping carts for different sound.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/19/22 at 20:43:39

Thanks guys.
It’s nice to hear Lon when others use the same or similar equipment. My buddy is one of those who prefer vinyl. He’s trying to suck me into his world!
Kahuna Jack you addressed one of my concerns. I’m sure I will enjoy the positive attributes of vinyl. The big concern is the pops and hiss that comes with the territory. It makes me want to deal with “near mint” only which drives up the cost considerably. Which parallels CAJames’s comments. I have no vinyl so would be starting from scratch.
I do not want to be one of the guys who buys Decware and sells it during times like these, long wait times and growing popularity. I suppose if I sell I would sell for cost or less.
I appreciate the advice gentlemen.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/19/22 at 20:45:18

Thanks Dr3wman. Good to hear actual/first hand reviews from people. 👍

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/19/22 at 21:13:33

I'm a vinyl first listener that just recently added a DAC for file listening. I don't own a CD player! Digital is getting really close. For me there's just something about the "air' or "space" of vinyl playback that tickles my soul and ears just right, I have not heard that with a DAC yet.

I've found that vinyl playback with my Decware amp will expose the slightest of issues in regards to turntable setup. If something is out of whack, it will come through on playback. When I first got my SE84 I thought the amp was just not a match for my setup where as with other amps everything sounded ok. After spending time re-setting up my table it's been very rewarding.

Be honest with yourself, do you have the patience to spend time making minute changes with delicate items? Good eyes? Steady hands? Dialing in arm height, tracking force, anti skate, overhang, azimuth, etc...

Then comes the media itself. Not ALL records sound good, some are horribly pressed, rushed, not mixed great or come from some crap record plant in the EU. Dust, pops, clicks. I've rebuilt a wrecked VPI record cleaner and have an ultrasonic cleaner setup. While these aren't necessary, if you have OCD like me it's just one more added expense.

Can't answer your first question, but for 2 & 3 it's a resounding Yes. Not trying to scare you out of it, this has just been my experience. IMO vinyl requires more setup and patience and getting up to change records every 15-20 minutes, but the juice IS worth the squeeze for me.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/19/22 at 21:13:38

One thing I found in regards to pop and hiss was a pretty big reduction in both of those when I upgraded my table/cartridge combination.  I have the Dynavector 10X5 MKII on my GR.  

Others can speak more with more knowledge on that subject.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #10 - 07/19/22 at 21:30:46

Quote:
Posted by: Dr3wman      Posted on: Today at 21:13:38
One thing I found in regards to pop and hiss was a pretty big reduction in both of those when I upgraded my table/cartridge combination...

Agree. The better your cartridge/arm/table are the more music it will dig out of the groves and the better the signal to noise ratio. Which is what really bums me out about current production records: brand new they sound way worse than my 40,50 even 60 year old LPs that have been played 100s of times.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/19/22 at 22:04:08

Great discussion! Listening to records at an audiophile level requires commitment, but don't forget that generations listened to and enjoyed them on mediocre gear without care for setup as well. My point is not to negate all the wisdom being shared, but to say that like many things, you get out of it what you put into it in regard to records.

I rarely listen to music in the background. I prefer a more immersive experience. When it is background, I almost always choose digital,whether CD or streaming. When I want to listen to music, however, I always choose a record first, only using a CD/ streaming  if I don't own the record. If I have to go digital, I still prefer CDs.

As a part of the immersive experience, I enjoy the needle drop, tactile feel and weight of the record, etc.... I enjoy the control I have over sound in choice of cartridge, turntable, phono stage, set up, etc.... These things all take extra care and work, but they also have pay off in the immersive musical experience. Personally, I don't see my preference for records ever changing. I enjoy the experience and they do sound different; I would say in general, better.

As others have stated, listening to records generally requires extra work and patience. If you don't have it and require audiophile level of listening, look elsewhere. The satisfaction of knowing your work and patience contributed to what you hear can be highly satisfying though. Most other media do not include this aspect of records.

Records, cartridges, and turntables can be expensive, but they don't have to be. Part of what I enjoy about it is the thrill of the hunt: finding there $100 album for $20, or the $20 for $5. I also enjoy owning my music, but I'm old school, having grown up with physical media.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
cmdc

Reply #12 - 07/19/22 at 22:09:14

If I read the original post correctly, there are two (and perhaps three) very different questions embedded in it.  They generate three very distinct answers.  I have 7 turntables, including a Rega, and a variety of digital sources from mundane to high quality. I will add to the discussion what I can.

1. Does the ZP3, and other Decware gear, pair well with vinyl generally?  In my experience, the answer is "Yes, beyond doubt." I've used the ZP3 with multiple turntables, including most recently, two Thorens TD124s and a TD125, all with excellent results. The ZP3/TD125 combination delivers the best sound I've ever gotten from a truly outstanding table, particularly when it's coupled with the Caintuck Audio Lii F15s. The same was true for a decidedly more modern ClearAudio Champion. The ZP3 also performed well with the TD124, though I ultimately replaced it with a battery powered Dodd Audio phono stage that was more forgiving for MC cartridges.

2.  Does Decware gear pair well with the Rega RP 6?
While I don't have an RP6, I have tried the ZP3 with other Rega gear and would echo others that the Decware gear does perfectly well with it.

3.  Most importantly, should you make a bigger investment in vinyl?

From your description and your comments, probably not.  

For my own part, I love vinyl.  No matter how I've tried, and what digital sources I've used, I have yet to find digital sources that can do for me what good vinyl does.  The presence, the clarity, the holographic soundstages, the feeling of having the performer right in the room with you, and the sense of the original performance venue itself materializing around you--I have never gotten that from digital sources in the way I have from vinyl, even when everything else in the signal path is the same--or is ostensibly optimized for digital.  As a result, and despite constant experimentation, vinyl is the medium that makes me happiest.

But it is also a constant pain in the ass. Getting vinyl right means worrying not only about phono amps, and tubes, and speaker placement--just like everybody else--but about tonearm resonances, cartridge matching, step up amplifiers, overhang, alignment, vertical tracking force, vertical tracking angles, headshell and tonearm connections, and the endless quest for ever better cartridges.  Then you add the process of keeping both the records and the stylus clean--more machines, solutions, and (surprisingly endless) debates about gear and techniques.

The sound can be spectacular. But getting and keeping it right can become expensive and time consuming very quickly, and can play to the most OCD aspects of audiophilia, if you aren't very careful.  

So, if you were at the beginning of your audio journey and considering experimenting with vinyl, I'd say go for it.  There's nothing to lose but time and money.  But if you've been at this for a while already, and are already a bit hesitant about taking the leap, my guess is your instincts are right.  Vinyl will add more costs, more headaches, more obsessions, and maybe (just maybe) at the end of the day, a little better sound. But in time you take getting somewhere truly new, you could have just been listening to music.

My two cents as a true vinyl lover.

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/19/22 at 22:30:58

Thanks for chiming in Sean. I have read that cd and streaming are now very close to vinyl in the right set ups. A friend of mine that lives around the corner is a vinyl guy. He came over to listen to my new equipment and said I need to listen to his. Party time!

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/19/22 at 22:44:00

Thanks for the response cmdc. I am hesitant. I blow money on all sorts of hobbies, so it’s not that. It’s just the timing. I have spent a considerable amount recently on equipment and was planning this for a year or 2 from now after the dust settled. I was not prepared for the pre amp that I ordered just a month ago to come so soon! Good problems I know but between the preamp, turntable and various other pieces of equipment, I’m looking at 5-6 grand. I could wait and let that beautiful preamp sit in the box for a year or so. Not very likely! I know myself. Sell it or use it is my speed. Patience is an attribute I struggle to exhibit.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/20/22 at 01:03:29

I think you've aleady gotten really good advice from everyone, but I wanted to add that for some of us who were teens in the '60s, many of us have never given up our records.

I don't mean the LPs I bought when I was 12 and used my dad's old BSR turntable which literally ate records, I mean when that when CDs first came out, I jumped right in, but I still sought out my favorite music on LP.

There was no "going back to records" for many of us. We never stopped.
So, from that perspective, I can tell you that I will always have a vinyl set up in my room. It could always be better, but that goes for every aspect of this hobby.

As mentioned already, many of the newer releases are not up to par. Same goes with many of the re-releases, re-masters of classic records I've grown to love.
The opposite is also true; some higher grade albums I have collected recently are more quiet and play great, but those seem to be rare.

Honestly, starting from scratch, right now, I don't think I would. I think I would rather spend my time, effort and money on what I already know and improve upon that realm, instead of seeking a whole new realm.

This hobby can be like boats. So you get a bigger boat and everything seems awesome, but now you have an even larger hole in the water to throw your money into. First you upgrade your cleats and bumpers, then you want a cool steering wheel and Captain's seat. Next thing you know you want a second motor or all new safety equipment. Then you have another look at your trailer you just put brand new tires on.
It never stops.

Not to offer conflicting vectors of thought as an answer, but you might keep your ZP3 until all your other gear on order has settled in and see if your interest in vinyl still exists. You'll be more than half way there already should you decide to give vinyl a go.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/20/22 at 02:33:50

Sounds like good advice SameOld DD. Thank you. I think patience is the most prudent choice right now.

IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 07/20/22 at 03:01:18

I have the Rega P5, which I believe was two generations down from the P6, into a ZP3 and I have to say, with good records, it's like I'm listening to a better mastered CD.  Just great sound and beautiful detail.  Mind you I'm using a Dynavector 20X2L, into a Parks Audio SUT, then to the ZP3.  

You won't need an SUT with the Exact, so that's one less expense. I think you'll be satisfied with the sound.

Nevertheless, if you're starting from scratch (no pun intended) with a vinyl collection, do some research on pressings that are out there.  It can be an expensive hobby building up a collection, and you want to stray away from dog pressings out there.

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/20/22 at 04:31:13

I think that turntables and vinyl can be a money pit if you don't approach it in a certain way.
I am running a Rega Planar 9 with Rega Exact into a ZP3. That nice .6mv output elminates the need for a SUT and extra set of cables.
The Rega is a plug and play turntable with the Exact, so that eliminates a lot of setup hassle and purchasing of setup tools.
My floor is concrete, so vibration is no real concern.
There are tons of so-called audiophile lps out there for cheap. Don't fixate on the new and shiny 180 gram audiophile reissue stuff. They can be good, but there is a whole world of great sounding recordings to be had for under ten bucks. They still aren't in demand, and that's to your advantage.
I will say, the Decware really reveals all the good in bad of lp pressings. The good ones sound great and the bad ones sound like turds.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 07/20/22 at 04:45:19

I will look into the pressings options. My buddies friend is in the business and I will ask him what to look for and what to look out for. Thanks for the good advice metropolis and riknbkr330.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 07/20/22 at 12:12:28

1. Yes the two are a pair in heaven.
2. Yes, but very subjective as you noted.
3. I don't.

You seem to have a very good setup now for digital. As many have noted it will be a big undertaking to start from scratch. From the cost of equipment and time finding good vinyl, an audiophile would need a good bit of determination to begin and substain a course of success.

My 2.
Vinyl puts the actors in the room; an intimate setting. Digital puts the listener at the venue at a loss of intimacy.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21 - 07/20/22 at 13:51:55

I know a good way for you to judge yourself. Take your favorite digital recording, one that you know very well, Then obtain and demo the same recording on a pristine analog source.  Seek out a listening room' it may not beDecware with a ZP3 running through a Zen Mystery Amp but you will be able to A/B digital and analog through the same rig in the same room.

Does the analog magic give you the extra thing you seek? Something that you haven't discovered until you listened to vinyl. Unless your system is tweaked to listen to vinyl and for critical listening you may not hear any difference. But you may be able to hear the difference, training your ear to differentiate the subtleties of vinyl is a joy.

You asked what kind of turntable best suits a ZP3, I do not know even though I have one on order. I haven't seen enough ZP3 reviews where the ZP3 is the featured piece of equipment. I know Steve has used the ZP3 as part of his speaker demonstrations when he uses vinyl as a source.

Steve recommends 4mv for moving magnetic cartridges with the ZP3, anything below he recommends pairing a step up transformer to match your cartridge. That would mean most MC moving coil cartridges would need a step up transformer. My MM Clearaudio Maestro is 3.75mv Steve says it should be no problem but IMO pairing your cartridge with the ZP3 is more important than pairing the type of turntable.

My preference are for direct drive tables, ones that have the options for automatic return and automatic start as well as the option to operate manually. I also recommend that you understand how tracking is adjusted and how the skating control works.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 07/20/22 at 16:02:22

That’s an interesting way to put it JBZen, in the room vs at the venue. Makes it more tempting now! Thanks

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/20/22 at 16:07:26

I do have the ability to listen to an album that way BicycleJoe. Great idea. Will do that a few times before committing to anything. Thanks for the response.

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 07/20/22 at 18:55:53

metropolis7 says" I think that turntables and vinyl can be a money pit if you don't approach it in a certain way."

thats a fact , Ive worked in record stores and a regular scenario is customers accumulate a stack of records while digging to the sum of maybe $300-400 ?? by the time they are checking out at the register they have maybe 1 new lp and a couple used $30-50. Now the cd shoppers?? lol well lets say $50 can buy you alot of music out of the used bins.

I guess it comes down to disposable/liquid cash situation and passionate heat for the vinyl hobby

IP Logged
Kahuna Jack
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/20/22 at 19:02:56

Ill also add that I have a friend who picked up a cheap used table ( dd 1980's technics model with p-mount cart) and will only buy $1-3 records from garage sales and thrift stores and he has the time of his life. Very stress free and low cost but he's not really doing focused detail listening he's purely enjoying the music which is something I have to remind myself to do often in this hobby.

Vinyl I guess can be done on the cheap.... but it's not the route most of us are going to take

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 07/20/22 at 19:12:40

I did a local search Kahuna Jack and found a few record stores quite close to me. I figured I’d check it out and see the prices. I have an inexpensive turntable my buddy gave me to start if need be. Will have to do some more reconnaissance!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 07/20/22 at 19:16:31

I'm in a kind of transitional stage; can't give up the old yet, but I want all that the "NEW" has to offer as well.

EB, I did not mean to seem so overly  "matter of fact,"  earlier, but I thought from your friend's influence, you had already done the immediate comparisons between the two media formats and were left with a skull full of putty to shape this way and that.
Apologies if I was a bit less than tactful with all that, but my thinking remains.

Sounds like your ZP3 will be there before expected. I look forward to your impressions, either way.

Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 07/20/22 at 21:02:40

I didn’t take it that way Same Old DD. I appreciate the response and I try to learn from everyone’s input. Cheers

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 07/20/22 at 22:29:51

Yesterday I finally replaced the ICs on the ZP3 leading to the CSP2 with sheilded silver plated occ copper in the 8 strand braided geometry(cloan of Steve's offering). Initially it showed very positive results and unveiled the signal caps might need some attention in the ZP3. The caps were replaced previously by another owner.
Anyway, to get back on subject, at my better halfs suggestion we were shopping our local flea boutique today looking for nothing in particular rather just see what grabs our attention...browsing.
I started looking at vinyl avaiable at different booths. Some were priced at $15 and others as low as $2. Some were in poor shape while others pristine. I ended up over 2 hours rooting thru the vinyl and push my wife's patience a bit but ended up with 17 good looking vinyl LP albums(a couple doubles) for $40 total.

Part of the fun in owning a vinyl rig!

She found some brand new bed sheets.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 07/20/22 at 23:55:27

Jackpot John! I wasn’t as lucky as you but was pleasantly surprised at a local shop. Found many good records but put on a Sonny Boy Williamson double lp that was in fantastic shape for $20, which was negotiable according to the owner. Place had a nice vibe and the owner said prices drop at the register! Only drawback was sound was through one very tiny bookshelf Klipsch, the other being on the sidewalk outside. All in all a good time. Enjoy those new records.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 07/21/22 at 02:17:30

Great thread, I‘ll add my own experience here.  Not having even touched a record in my life, I researched and bought a Project Carbon Debut Evo TT that comes stock with the Sumiko Rainier cart (in Europe it comes with the Ortofon Red).  This was July 2021.  During the initial novelty and excitement period, I bought a ton of new records and then shifted to used records from primarily two local record stores.  I also bought both consumer grade as well as my own record cleaning solutions and bought bougie dust resistant inner sleeves to store the records.  My meager collection is double protected with both outdoor and inner sleeves.  Oh and I also got an Acrylic platter down the road.

However, over the course of the year, my consumption has waned to a such a degree that I probably play a record maybe once a month just for a change of pace.  Streaming is much more convenient and at least in my rig, I find it to be of higher quality.  I’ve considered changing the cart and perhaps moving up the Sumiko or Ortofon line, but I rather save and invest in other areas of my rig (tubes, amps/preamps, speakers, streamer, DAC) vs. spending more money on a medium that I am barely using. That said, even with the limited usage, I still plan to keep it.  It somehow, makes my rig complete.  There you go, sorta of a love hate relationship—messy, but there is still hope.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 07/21/22 at 02:21:56

The ZP3 was my first Decware "pill".
It was a revelation. Grain-free sound for the first time. Slowly but surely, piece by piece, I ended up building an entire system around Decware. It just happens when you get a taste of the good stuff.

For records, great sounding classical can still be found in the dollar bin. A lot of mass produced 70s-80s pop and singer songwriter has fantastic sound quality and can still be found cheap.

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 07/21/22 at 06:59:42

Vinyl puts the actors in the room; an intimate setting. Digital puts the listener at the venue at a loss of intimacy.

I like that reference.

I use a Pioneer PLX-1000 (700 bucks and direct drive) and an Ortofon 2M Black ($750) with a ZP3 with NOS tubes (a huge improvement).

I don't listen to vinyl nearly as much as streaming or my CD collection on an SD drive, but when you do, it is a ritual and it is also such a different auditory experience. There is something like vibratory reality, rather than bit-perfect reproduction.

I'm very satisfied with my Vinyl Rig now and couldn't see getting rid of it despite the convenience of digital. My 1500 bucks plus ZP3 is money well spent.

And hunting for used and new vinyl is fun when you have some good places to look. So, basically, I agree with what most others are saying Smiley. Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/21/22 at 12:36:57

One of the features about the JVC QL-F4 turntable is it's ability to repeat an album up to 6 times or infinity. This is a very usable feature with Decware or tubes in general. With CDs, the sixth track will start to bloom after tube warmup. With the JVC the second play of an album signals for my return to do some serious enjoyable listening. I'll usually set it on three repeat plays giving me some time to finish up what is at hand and be seated for the third play.

Ebay has a listing for a QL-A7 at the moment that I almost pulled the trigger on but it is a semi automatic player without repeat. It has a heavier platter and a little different antiskating setting but the same tonearm/suspension. I think that 1978 JVC turntables with quartz lock are some of the best direct drive turntables ever made. The QL-A7 is listed at 299.00 plus shipping. It has a heavier platter than the F4 at 2.7lb as compared to the 4.4lb on the A7. The listed F7 has some issues that seem to be minor as compared to the claimed great condition.

I added 6 bars of boxed Dove hand soap on top of a magic eraser speared by the spindle on the F4. The startup to stabilization only slowed by a small fraction of a second and stayed rock solid as normal. I will have to carefully add some weight when finally doing a revamp on this gem. All the '78 QL series used the same motor and platter suspension but with varied enhancements to other features.

I have no connection with the ebayer that lists the A7. Just wanted to bring it too light here for someone looking for a turntable and likes to tinker.

John

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #35 - 07/21/22 at 13:10:41

Quote:
I think that 1978 JVC turntables with quartz lock are some of the best direct drive turntables ever made.

That Motor is the same motor used by the US Library of Congress in their transcription TT's (Coreless DC, quartz FG Double Bi-Directional Servo Motors) The Double Bi-Directional Servo, as its name suggests, adds to a conventional FG Servo a second quartz-lock servo section loop outside of the drive itself.
The motor itself is a coreless DC with 180 slots where the servo is applied on both positive and negative areas to avoid speed overshooting when started or when correcting speed

In almost 40 years my QLY 66F DD TT had one capacitor leak in the power supply. I just had it and its cartridge rebuilt by Sound-Smith.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/21/22 at 14:21:59

Thanks Kamran. My use will probably be a bit more limited as yours. My plan is to focus on jazz and blues for records. I’m glad you get some joy from the records.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 07/22/22 at 11:46:21

Very nice Bicycle Joe. I seem to recall reading somewhere a long long time ago about the use of that motor in the library of congress tts. Did not think much of it at the time but still an interesting fact.

The only issue the F4 had was about 10 years ago. It would not lock at 33rpm. I took it apart and cleaned it. Don't really recall what it was that made the issue disappear but after reassembly it has been rock solid since. It will need capacitors replaced soon before dreaded leakage occurs. So far, as of six months ago, none have!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 07/22/22 at 12:39:54

Quote:
Reply #30 - 07/20/22 at 6:55pm 

Jackpot John!

Well, not all shiny vinyl plays well! This was one of the $2 albums in my purchase the other day.

It looked to be in excellent shape but is almost unlistenable with all the pops and hiss. No skips Smiley Could just be embedded dirt in the grooves. Will try a good cleaning before pitching. Another part of the vinyl experience! Win some loose some in the used record search Smiley

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #39 - 07/22/22 at 13:02:52

Quote:
Well, not all shiny vinyl plays well! This was one of the $2 albums in my purchase the other day.

I recommend cleaning all secondhand used records before playing them on your main system turntable. Even then after washing I play them on my portable turntable that I use for grading records condition not on my TT with a $1300 stylus / cartridge. You do not need a $3000 or. $300 ultrasonic record cleaner to do this. An entry level vacuum driven manual machine like the KAB EV 1 costs around $175 with some record cleaning supplies.

They actually clean the Records better than new pressings, new vinyl and new vintage records overtime off gas residue that could gunk up your stylus.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?%2F&fbclid=IwAR2f27OekBtXd1Yp0-emB5zf59f_4sO...

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 07/22/22 at 13:37:14

The KAB EV 1 is $149, now and very good investment I think. I've had one for about two years.
Before that I used a DIY thing made from a crack attachment and a couple of carbon fiber brushes hooked to a vac. It worked well, but it was clunky!
This one is so much easier to work.

As Joe says, any new or used LPs get a good cleaning and vacuum before I even try them.
That's an old lesson re-learned a few times.
Grin

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 07/22/22 at 13:45:28

That is good advice BJ. I do have an older needle cartridge in a head shell that serves the purpose of trying unfamiliar vinyl. Just need to remember to key it in before playing new material. Excited anticipation sometimes veils better jugement.

Thanks for the link. I been looking for some new tone arm wire and it looks like KAB has some reasonable litz wire.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 07/22/22 at 15:00:13

I have been looking at cleaning devices as well during my turntable search. I figured I’d use the spinning through the liquid one, sorry I forgot the name and a vacuum device. Glad you mentioned the Kav EV 1 Same Old DD. Will look into it. I also came across the service wear you mail in the records and they clean them both physically and sonically. Seems like a decent idea if you have a limited number of records. I thought it might be a good way to get the best out of older records and then I could just maintain after that.

IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 07/22/22 at 15:48:47

I was going to add that a cleaning regimen is part and parcel to this hobby.  I’ve cleaned records and took care of them since I started 50 years ago.  Went through all the phases, spray record cleaners, Discwasher system.  Then bought KAB unit once I restarted buying used vinyl in the early 2000s. It’s a good investment.  Finally graduated to a VPI 16.5 which handles all that I buy now. Definitely invest in this part of the hobby.

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 07/22/22 at 16:12:27

Earthbound, I think you're talking about the Spin Clean. It was invented about 15 miles from where I'm sitting. The big knock on them is you spin the record back through dirty water.

A couple friends have this one and seem to like it:
https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/squeakycleanvinyl-mk-iii

Once upon a time I built one. I used an old turntable platter and spindle, bunch of old shop vac fittings, etc. It worked ok, but after some time I found having to spin the platter manually with one hand and all the cleaning with the other was a bit clunky.

Through a local forum I found all the parts to a VPI record cleaner, the box was destroyed from not drying it off. I rebuilt it and use it way more than the ultrasonic cleaner.

And then there is this guy: He even shows you how to delete a track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZBwyVXJRdI

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 07/22/22 at 18:19:41

Very cool dyi! I will check out the link Sean. Thanks. I figured that the bath followed by a vacuuming would probably do the trick. It’s a good point though regarding the dirty water. Learning as I go!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 07/22/22 at 21:18:40

I needed a good laugh today and the last link in Sean's post is hilarious 🤣

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 07/22/22 at 23:57:25

Hey, EB, I can't take credit for BicycleJoe's post. He is the one who propped that KAb product up for all to see.
It was familiar to me, so I clicked to look for other products again.

I just followed his link and found, to my surprise, that product is ten bucks less now that what I paid two years ago.

Sean, that's some very cool DIY work.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #48 - 07/23/22 at 04:14:19

Hey Joe, (Where you goin with that gun in yo hand?…)

I kid Cheesy  

Seriously though, I have a KAB modded SL-1210, and did not know about the record cleaner they offer. Thanks so much for posting the link! I just ordered one.

Very best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #49 - 07/23/22 at 04:52:48

I'm glad everyone is appreciating the simplicity of the manual KAB EV1

Here are a lot more details on the KAB and other cleaning machines touched upon in this in-depth completely OCD video that certainly covers all the bases.

https://youtu.be/2R0GiQzFMNE
Quote:
Quote From Video
I decided to try a vacuum-style record cleaning device after using a Spin Clean for the past four years, so I wasn't willing to spend a lot of money. Luckily, I ran across the EV-1 while searching the KABUSA.com website ordering items for my Technics turntable.  In this video I demonstrate the components, how they are assembled and connected to a canister-style vacuum cleaner.  Discussion of the Nitty Gritty Pure 2 and Disc Doctor Miracle cleaning fluids and why I bought the Disc Doctor Miracle records brushes.  I hope you enjoy the video and hit that LIKE button.  Please subscribe to my channel to keep up on future videos from me.

#kabev1, #recordcleaner, #vinylcommunity

KAB EV-1 Professional Record Cleaner ($149)
https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/...

KAB Record Cleaning Parts & Accessories (VAC Sweep Kit with 4 velvet replacement strips)
https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/...

Nitty Gritty Cleaning Fluids (including Pure 2)
http://www.nittygrittyinc.com/fluids.htm

Disc Doctor products available from Acoustic Sounds
https://store.acousticsounds.com/a/4612/Disc_Doctor

Spin-Clean Records Washers
https://spinclean.com

Clear Bags Record Sleeves
https://www.clearbags.com/bags/album

https://www.clearbags.com/12-1-16-x-12-1-8-lip-frosted-inner-album-covers-100-pi...
(I use the 12-inch BLPFS 12 1/16” x 12”)

Folding Wood Dish Rack (for stacking LPs when cleaning)
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/squared-away-collapsible-dish-rac...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print