04/20/24 at 06:23:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Black Boxes (Read 2022 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Black Boxes
07/16/22 at 09:53:39

Starting a new string so I don't hijack the one about balanced vs. unbalanced sound quality.

OK, so, for what it's worth.

I went into my archive of wait lists. There are just over 140 Decware black boxes (Steve's term) on order on the 7/15 list, well under 10% of the total backlog (ZBIT, ZSTAGE, ZROCK, ZMC, ZBOX, ZSB).

I chose a ZBIT order at random to compare to my UFO25 x 2 order (the term "finanancial infidelity" comes to mind here, but no matter).

From 3/11 and over the next 18 weeks, the ZBIT order moved up 197 places. My amp order moved up 200 places.

A major amp investment, OK. If you have to wait a long time for delivery, that's reality. You're rolling the dice on your longevity, that's all. No biggie.

With the black boxes, we're talking about accessing important functionality or taking a deeper dive into what your system is capable of.

To have some degree of interactivity with your own system (changes/improvements that don't take forever) I would consider max reasonable wait time for black boxes to be 6 months. Half a year is a long time but it is psychologically manageable (no radom attacks of anguish, becoming convinced you'll never take possession of your order; Steve's access to parts will be cut off as the Chinese take over Taiwan, etc.)

(BTW, as far as I can tell from older comments on the forum, the wait time for DW AMPS in 2017 was under two months.)

With 140 boxes and a max 6 month (26 week) throughput, that's just over 5 units needing to be shipped per week.

I would suggest that mixing black box and amp orders does not really make sense, any more than it would to put cable/interconnect orders in the general queue just to treat everyone equally.

IP Logged
michaelG

Re: Black Boxes
Reply #1 - 07/16/22 at 22:58:33

I don’t think they are being built on the same timeline. I’m around 220 and 221 for my ufo and zrock and the zrock just changed status to part pulled. So I think I might get it in a few weeks while the ufo should arrive in another 5/6 month.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/17/22 at 03:24:33

That is good news, although I think from parts pulled to ship can be many weeks in some cases.

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #3 - 07/19/22 at 01:41:36

Just one opinion but I would prioritize the amps, then pres, then all else tube based, and this comes from someone who ordered a 'black box' in august '21.  no one likes to wait but expanding the community is probably the best investment to make.  the good news is Steve and team can figure all this out - they're trained professionals!

ChrisC

Smiley

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/21/22 at 19:01:55

I placed an order for 4 items, including a zrock a couple of months ago. I thought the same thing regarding arrival times of the amp vs zrock. Then out of nowhere, an email that the phono stage preamp is done! So I called to make sure it wasn’t a mistake. The woman explained that orders get cancelled and if you happen to have the same mods, you get it. Wonderful!
She also explained that they have new techs working on specific equipment. I believe someone also mentioned that Steve opened up another facility(don’t quote me). So, who knows what order we will receive or equipment in. Hard to wait but it is what it is. Exciting times!

IP Logged
briand77
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/22 at 04:41:57

While we are on the subject of black boxes, does anyone know why the box sizes are not standardized for stacking? The ZSB and ZBIT are 10.5 inches deep, while the ZROCK, ZSTAGE, and ZBOX are 11.0 inches deep. Wouldn’t it make sense to just make the ZSB and ZBIT 11.0 inches deep also for consistency. The other dimensions are the same for these five boxes. The depths are close enough to not really cause stacking problems, but this triggers my OCD tendencies.

IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #6 - 07/27/22 at 01:09:31

I don't, but would guess Steve would tell us not to stack components.  That said, I agree it would probably look cleaner even if you didn't stack them if they had consistent dimensions.

ChrisC

Smiley

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 07/27/22 at 02:59:56

All of the Decware Black Boxes are the same dimensions which is 10 x 6 x 2 inches.  The reason for the differences in dimensions in the specifications is because those include jacks, knobs, or the tube sticking out the front.

The units are stackable without issues.  The heavy steel chassis is a complete shield from the power transformers of other components.  

Alternately you can set the units side by side.  3 x 6 = 18" with a bit of space between each the trio fits into a 19 inch rack.

Another way I like to use them is on their side by moving the rubber feet from the bottom to the right or left side.  This way they look like books in a bookcase.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #8 - 07/30/22 at 23:37:14

Steve,

Are the feet movable or is the location fixed during assembly?

Thx

ChrisC   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print