Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:20:10 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Decware 2021 Concept speakers (Read 7932 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Decware 2021 Concept speakers
06/24/21 at 05:49:41

I am listening to a pair of our 2021 concept speakers tonight and they are melting my face off.

It's so crazy.

Two 4 inch ultra-hi-end Neo  full-range drivers in a tiny computer designed rear wave negligible cabinets that come in around 92dB and at low volumes with a 2.3 watt zen amp they are sick in the imaging and frequency balance departments, with is pretty much the whole store.

60-20K about the size of a large toaster.  Some of the most textured midrange I have ever heard.  They are really screwing me up.  And my cat, Smokey!  Literally every time I turn these on he comes in and chills on the carpet between the speakers.  I watch his ears while I listen to the music.  It's like a Vulcan mind Mel.

Anyway, this pair of Mind numbingly good speakers will be here this year at DECFEST 2021 as well as some others so that we can gauge your reactions to it in order to see if there is a market for it.  Of course I already know the answer, but without the science what fun would it be?

Anyway, these little bastards are completely sick.  They may well win 1st place in the sound stage awards.  I mean, these are in the middle of a large room, 5 feet away from any walls, stand-mounted and with no bass re-enforcement or subs, and they are just killing it!

God, I love my job!  It is SO FUN to share these small miracles with many of you during DECFEST!  This one in particular is going to really melt some faces off.  Considering how small they are, they would work in the tiniest of rooms, but they command respect in my 17x27 listening room with 15 foot ceilings and openings into much larger spaces.

Whooho!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware 2021 Concept speakers
Reply #1 - 06/24/21 at 16:47:22

Sweet!

Can we see photos yet?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #2 - 06/24/21 at 16:58:33

Will there be a "sneak pre-view" video?

(please)

Sounds incredible!

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/24/21 at 23:56:57

You read it here first - the first audio systems for cats.  I'm in!!!

Excited to see more!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 06/25/21 at 03:32:03

Steve,

Would that toaster be smaller than a breadbox?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 06/26/21 at 16:47:24

WWW   IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/27/21 at 01:02:30

Whoa! What kind of voodoo speaker wires are those?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 06/27/21 at 03:27:47

The speakers are connected with our ZSTYX speaker cables.  The other ones on the floor are yet another attempt to beat ZSTYX that lost.

Most speaker cable on the planet is a filter. Some of the well done stuff, like that on the floor, is like a good lens filter for a camera. It can makes the colors pop, reduce glare, create a better balance. And these did a wonderful job of that, if not compelling one. However there was a huge price, and the price was clarity and focus. There wasn't any.

If you're running one of our amplifiers and a simple speaker with little to no crossover in it, then you haven't heard our amp or your speakers if your not running ZSTYX.  I can promise it.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 06/27/21 at 04:06:07

Concept speaker B -  

In the realm of speakers -- Tiny Radials have taught me that good things can happen in small packages and the smaller you can make something that sounds good the more people will buy and enjoy it.

Yes this new concept speaker is a well engineered cabinet designed to minimize internal standing waves and subtlety horn-load the face of the drivers with no edge refraction. There is a low-noise port in the rear. The drivers are designed in France using Neo magnets (10 per), each with a T-shaped pole piece and edge-wound under-hung aluminum voice coil with a extra thick domed cast iron pole plate to help increase the field. The frame is ultra thick aluminum which is softer and deader sounding with rounded features to minimize reflections. Cones are exotic paper. The cabinet uses two of these drivers running full range with no crossovers. Efficiency is around 93dB.  Exotic drivers are 4 inch, however the cones are 3 inch as there is a large rubber surround. So basically a pair of 3 inch cones that are giving ruler flat response from 60Hz to 23.5kHz.

These drivers have no noticeable beaming, the cabinets disappear much like the Radials. They are an imaging freaks dream speaker.

A SE84UFO25 in my larger treated space has just barely enough power to get the job done, but it does. A pair of them bridged mono alleviates the anticipation of clipping during peaks. I imagine in most homes, where the rooms are brighter and smaller, the 2.3 watt amps will be nearly a perfect match. However in my room the Zen TORII JRv2 is ideal because I never hear any distortion and I can play it at my normal range of levels.

The speaker does have dual binding posts on it, however instead of the flat jumper that we have used in the past I decided to embrace simplicity a little more and use a pair of solid gold plated copper rods. That will save you money on fancy aftermarket jumper wires. The dual binding posts make it possible to bi-amp the speakers as well. That opens up some interesting possibilities with imaging. Any time you have two amps on each speaker, you can not only play with making the top or bottom driver louder, but also the voicing of each can be manipulated.

Wouldn't go to all the trouble, but these are in a league that is going to embarrass a lot of speakers. So we assume these are going to be great even for those hunting for the holy grail in a small package.

It's looking like I'll be able to offer these for around $1200 a pair.  The stands they are presently sitting on are glass with thin aluminum tubes.  They ran $80 for the pair.  I have no idea if they are holding the speaker back or perhaps by some freak on nature making them sound this good...  but either way... it's always exciting to make something available that is this good for a price that people can swing.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 06/27/21 at 04:34:47

I'll make some videos of them.  This is the first pair, and they have less than 100 hours on them, so when the mood and opportunity align I will certainly post some.

BTW, if you study that whizzer cone and dust cover execution on this driver you could consider it a lesson in perfection on so many levels no to mention its relativity to the cone size and shape that surrounds it. The pulp is so perfect, delicate yet absent of modal distortions that come with other papers. The midrange and upper frequencies from this are just ear candy, that's the only way I can describe it.

Remember, sound always takes on the characteristic of the LAST surface it touches. That means that the walls in your room have a giant effect on what you hear. It also means that the cone material in the speaker itself determines the signature. This has no coloration that I can hear, just pure liquid gold. If you've ever heard the argument of paper vs. kevlar or other materials and sided with paper, this cone will make your point so obvious only the deaf would be able to disagree.

It's fun to have amplifiers that let you listen so deep that the fiber of the paper makes an audible difference.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 06/27/21 at 04:50:59

If these end up being as good as I think, I may consider taking pre-orders and releasing the first batch even before the DECFEST.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/27/21 at 16:52:53

This is really exciting!

How do they sound with a Torii Mk 4?

Keeping my eye peeled on these.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/28/21 at 21:25:10

I am VERY excited to follow the development of these speakers. I just ordered a Torii MKIV a couple weeks back and have been pondering which speakers should be the replacement for my current Emotiva T1s (which I love but I think may hold the Torii's full potential back).  [smiley=icqlite20.png] Smiley

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 06/29/21 at 20:30:50

The TORII JRv2, The TORII MK4/5 and the ZMA are all good matches with these speakers when stand mounted out in the middle of my larger room.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 06/29/21 at 21:20:45

Torii V?????!!!!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 06/29/21 at 21:46:35

Steve,

Accepting the idea that all rooms are of course different in how they react,  is there a minimum distance you would say is necessary for the Concept speaks (on stands)?   I would love to be able to place them 3 plus feet out into the room were I not married, but given that reality they will likely be no more than 24" out.

Thank you for any response,

Andrew

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #16 - 07/01/21 at 22:53:50

shape of the cabinet looks like a shrunken Lii Audio Reference.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #17 - 07/03/21 at 15:04:11

Torii MKV.......There is no way that was a typo !!  C’mon Steve.....you can’t leave us hanging like this.  

Let me guess......it has meters!!  I remember our conversation last year before I placed my order...and you said meters would require a size redesign.  Do tell!!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #18 - 07/07/21 at 04:04:34

Sorry, it wasn't intensional.  Some clarity.  Firstly I am listening to the speakers on the TORII JRv2.  I am using the CSP325 Anniversary Preamp in front of the TORII JRv2.  I am using ZSTYX wire, a critical component in this equation. The TORII JRv2 has it's stock Russian EL34's, and 6922's with a NOS 5U4 rectifier, which is what I usually ship them with now.

As I mentioned, I started this journey with the SE84UFO25 driving the speakers, which should be enough, but coming off 100dB speakers large in size I found myself pushing the amp trying to get to where I was before. Had I not had that reference, the UFO25 would have had adequate power with these speakers. As a point of reference these are just noticeably louder than a pair of HR-1's. I already know a pair of UFO25's bridged mono will be the holy grail, but I am still breaking in the speakers, and I don't have two amps built for myself, only one, and we're so busy I hate to make a customer wait an extra few days while we build myself an amp.

So to that effect I have been breaking everything in using the TORII JRv2, and the sound is so damn good, it makes me drag my feet to try the TORII MK4, ZMA, or any other amp for that matter. The preamp took things to another level I wasn't expecting.

Right now, these speakers have the best midrange I think I have ever heard. I'm listening to these exclusively for the past month and am already starting to feel like there is a reasonable possibility I won't be able to ever find a better reference. Believe it or not a piano sounds more real on these than any other speaker I have. The Zen Master Series Baffles are a close second, and get the weight and scale a touch better, but these sound more real everywhere else. It's just amazing. I think the Audio Gods are guiding me down a new path. They got my attention (and everyone else's) with the Tiny Radials, and now I'm being shown what can actually be done in an exotic small speaker.  Something that anyone can use, and most people could afford. It would be making my face hurt from smiling had it not been melted off by these speakers already.

Yes, there will be a TORII MK5 once the steel gets here. Everyone with a recent TORII MK4 on order will be getting a MK5 at the MK4 price. It's going to be sweet. I made the TORII JRv2 so good there was really little incentive to move up to a TORII MK4, and sonically the incentive won't be huge over a TORII JRv2, but visually and in other ways it will be worth the extra bucks.

If not for all the delays in supply lines this amplifier would have been in the final stages of listening in the production chassis by now. Nothing I can do about it but wait for chassis.

As far as the speakers go the initial testing is complete and we have made arrangements to fold them into our speaker offerings, as well as have a few pair in stock for DECFEST 2021. These are small enough to fit in to cary on luggage bags so people could actually take a pair home, especially if they drive.  

This is how I am branding them:

Decware "Tube Tots".  I think we can all remember that one.

Price is still pending. There was a $1200 cap on this project, so it won't be over that.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 07/07/21 at 04:18:09

Based on the sound it would be easy to put these in a show and ask $4500.00 for the pair, stands extra. They look and sound the part. And that's of course what we want : )

Acoustic instruments and female voices on these speakers have the most fleshy tones I've ever heard. Not even headphones. It just sounds so right, but of course that's what happens when your reference gets bumped up a notch.

Also at this years fest we are in negotiations with Rogers to carry the legendary British made LS35A speakers and those will be here for DECFEST 2021 for your evaluation. Of course those will also require a TORII JRv2 or possibly a ZMA to really grab a larger room like ours, so we will see what happens. It is a speaker that justifies spending the money on more power to drive it for it's timeless sound and imaging. Right now there is a plethora of Chinese versions of this speaker which are also very compelling, but these are BBC originals.

I also have a pair of Lii Audio Fast 8's in some Caintuck Audio style baffles that will be here for audition. I am so impressed with these drivers, I may replace our modified Fostex drivers (model DFR8) with them so that the DIY market we touch will become aware of their desirability.

Despite running two shifts, we are nearing 800 amplifies on order. It feels like a mars mission... The most amazing thing is that everyone is cool with it. I never dreamed when this all started people would be willing to wait 8 month to get one.  I told my crew not to speed up to deal with it, but instead to slow down because right now we just don't need ANY mistakes because those are where all the time really goes.  So let's just cruse along and see how good we can make each one -- ultimately that will deliver the most amps in the shortest amount of time.  This I know from experience.

Sadly this year we may not have any horses in the adjacent pasture.  The most recent one, Lady, left this Spring.  That particular horse and I had kind of a special relationship.  She knew my routine and always met me at the fence when I went out the wood shop, so I gave her carrots, nice green grass that she watched me pick out of my yard, or in a pinch, peanut butter and jelly crackers.  Here only friends were myself and two goats.

Just as well, because that pasture is where the UFO's would land, and we don't need any traumatized livestock during the fest.

Speaking of the skies above Decware, check out this latest July 4th video:  https://vimeo.com/571918953

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 07/07/21 at 13:00:16

Holy Crap, almost 800 amps on order. Congratulations and make sure to keep the caffeine flowing. Good luck team Decware!

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 07/07/21 at 15:38:00

Aye HK, indeed this is all so exciting for Decware and our legion of loyal supporters. I hope the orders even triple! Steve & co. has more than earned the great reputation. A huge KUDOS goes out to Decware!

I am really looking forward to my MK V, probably 5 mos. away minimum, and these concept speakers to go into full production.....will more than likely buy them as well. With a room now finally treated, I will be ready to cry when the amp and speakers are here and settled in.

What a great time to be a Decware loyalist!!!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #22 - 07/07/21 at 15:46:11

I never dreamed when this all started people would be willing to wait 8 month to get one.  I told my crew not to speed up to deal with it, but instead to slow down because right now we just don't need ANY mistakes because those are where all the time really goes.

What an awesome approach! An attitude that you could only get from a small, private company that genuinely cares about the quality of their product, and ultimately, the satisfaction of the customer.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/07/21 at 16:46:19

Based on the sound it would be easy to put these in a show and ask $4500.00 for the pair, stands extra. They look and sound the part. And that's of course what we want : )

Wait, I thought they were going for $1200!  Lol!
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 07/07/21 at 17:15:30

Kulafu:

I believe he was saying they are of such quality and that they sound so good, that in a normal hi-fi show, many companies could/would price them at $4500,  but Decware will sell them at a lower (1,200) price.

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/07/21 at 17:49:16

Very interested to hear about the new improvements made on the Torii to create the Mk5 version!

Hopefully Mk4 owners can get the upgrades.

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #26 - 07/08/21 at 08:44:44

Yes I am eager to hear about the upgrades to the MKV as well.  It would be great if the MKIV owners would be able to get the upgrade. Fingers crossed  🤞.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #27 - 07/08/21 at 16:52:15

The TORII MK4 with Anniversary Mods is not able to be further upgraded, it is at it's pinnacle.  The TORII MK5 is while similar, a completely different amplifier.  The fundamental difference between the two is MK4 is not ultra-linear while MK5 is ultra-linear.  I don't anticipate the MK5 being a sonic breakthrough over the MK4, but rather an easier amplifier to own and operate.  It will be FAR less picky about input tubes, and FAR less picky about what type of speaker you pair it with. That and appearance will be the only advantages it has over the MK4.  In fact I should imagine that a MK4 with Anniversary Mods will sound better than a MK5 bone stock.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
derekinla
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 07/08/21 at 17:12:31

Hi Steve (and rest of forum). Newbie here. You mentioned in your post above that a pair of SE84UFO25's bridged in mono (2 watts + 2 watts) would be the holy grail. My question is, would the 5-6 watt Rachael produce similar results? I'm guessing the Rachael would have the same dynamic headroom as two UFO25's bridged in mono since the two setups would give you 6 dB of over the speaker's rated efficiency? Am I missing something?

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 07/08/21 at 17:53:53

I wonder how much of a gap there is between a MK IV with 25th mods vs. a MK V with 25th mods.....or just bone stock head to head.

I guess this isnt really known yet.

Ultralinear......hmmmm......past experience with ultralinear meant a tendency toward some hard edginess.....I can only imagine Steves circuits found a way around that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 07/08/21 at 18:15:55

I'm not sure about the power differences. . . but a Rachel and an SE84UFO25 are quite different amplifiers and I would think that there would be noticably different sonic qualities between a Rchel and a pair of mono'd SE84UFO25s.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 07/25/21 at 06:14:34

Upon until the announcement of these new speakers I had been considering the HR-1. I know they are very different speaks, but I’m curious if the Tube Tots could deliver what I’m after. It’ll be the Torii V powering them in a 14x28 room. I’m mostly concerned about low-end.

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 07/25/21 at 06:37:36

The HR1s have a very deep bass.  Better than my OB F15s.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #33 - 07/26/21 at 02:41:27

In the Decware listening room / 6 feet from any walls / The Tube Tots have good bass weight. Surprising for their size.

HR-1's play nearly an octave lower.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 07/27/21 at 02:10:55

An octave lower, wow that's quite significant and very important.

It seems to me, unfortunately so, that the HR-1's would overwhelm my 12x10 room.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 07/27/21 at 02:38:18

Check with Lon about that.  He probably has the most experience with HR1s here.  But they did a good job filling my huge space.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/27/21 at 03:11:57

IIRC, Will on this forum seems to have extensive experience with the HR-1s too.

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 07/27/21 at 15:03:01

Too be honest I broke out of the prison of a small listening room before the HR-1 came into my life, and pray I never have to go back to a small dedicated listening room again!

I did use predecessors of the ERRx and HR-1 in my small lsitening room . . . the RL-1 and RL-2. Both worked okay. They didn't "overload" a room. But they didn't "be all they can be" either. When I moved into a larger room the lower end blossomed and the top end mellowed, a good thing.

If I were ever forced into exile in a listening cell again I'd pray for the DNA2--I think they would be the best choice for ME from what I have read and heard from owners. That said, I hope that never happens because the HR-1 in a larger space (and the ERR) are where they are meant to be. I have two pair of HR-1 in use and a pair of ERR sitting idle mocking me. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #38 - 07/28/21 at 02:40:27

Oh crap,... so they're mocking me?  You've seen the mess of speakers everywhere in our room, and I've always felt a little adversarial with so many, always in the way always having to be moved around, always getting dinged...  Maybe I should make a video were I hook all of them up at the same time to the only thing on the planet that would drive such a low impedance... and see what happens?

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #39 - 07/28/21 at 03:52:04

An UPDATE on the face-melters...  the project is going really well so far.  Nothing but positive results and we are presently building 30 pair.  I'm committing to it on this level because these speakers are good enough to make me forget about all our other speakers, and are small enough to ship to someone without all the drama and risk.  They will work with a Zen Amp at modest levels, and are really in their zone with the Torii Jr on up.

So at this years fest you can hear them in my listening room, also my wood shop just for a different acoustic, and look forward to being able to have your face melted some time this winter or early spring.  

Sadly the prices have gone up already just from the time this design was started.  I anticipated that so we are still on target for the price point of $1200 a pair.

I'll be doing some teaser videos as soon as get a chance, we've just been so overwhelmed it's hard to find time to fart.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 07/28/21 at 13:23:44

Sounds really exciting. I might try these with my Omega deephemp 8 sub and the Torii MK V when its finally delivered!

How do you think these might compare to any of the Lii speakers?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #41 - 07/29/21 at 21:21:11

They are in the same league -- in fact they sound very similar.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 07/30/21 at 00:17:21

I swore to myself I'd never, ever buy monitor style speakers, but it sure sounds like these break that mold.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #43 - 07/30/21 at 05:05:15

They are designed to image and do so without the manipulation of a crossover which means using exotic drivers and exotic cabinet design... in the case of the cabinets it's all about the shape.  See I learned from Tiny Radials that small speakers can sound better than I thought, and I learned from Randy's Caintuck Audio Betsy Baffles which later lead to our Zen Master Series Baffles that shape has a tremendous amount to do with it. So this design combines a little of each, small size and an exoteric shape that appears to be simple.

They would probably work well as honest monitors as they have a remarkably flat response which I tend to like. Presence peaks which are common in exotic drivers like this are fun, but in the wrong room or with the wrong recordings they can slightly lessen the experience by trying to over-inflate it.

These are magical little face melters, and I can't wait to spend time A/B'ing them with the original LS35A's which I expect to see any time now. The comparison will be of two completely opposite methodologies. That said, in fairness the LS35A's were designed to be desktop monitors in a recording van or tuck. With something that up in your face, you need smoothness and you don't really need efficiency. The Tube Tot's which is what I'm calling them on the other hand are somewhere between 93-95dB so in the same environment it would be perhaps a bit too honest...

They are really some of the best vocal monitors I have ever heard frankly. Female or Male, just breathtaking.

I am using them with a TORII JRv2 most of the time. They have shown me how well that particular amp has seasoned and I couldn't be more happy with how it sounds. I am using a TYPE80 globe rectifier in it for the past few weeks, and now tonight a ZROCK2 set flat instead of a preamp and still wonderful. Set flat because I don't want to get these little drivers moving that much -- also they sound rich and full so I haven't felt the need to ZROCK them to get more bass. I did have a different experience out in my wood shop with no preamp and a USB stick DAC and speaker cables that kill the bass. I plan to correct it with speaker cables, and if I have to I will add a preamp to that system as well. Frankly it probably sounds fine, but I am so spoiled by a real DAC and preamp driving the amplifiers that when I go out in the wood shop and the IPAD is driving a USB stick DAC with no preamp I should expect less. It actually sounds quite good, but lacks weight. I need the weight. I had Zen Styx out there but they were a foot too short (of course) for where I needed to hang the Tube Tots. So I used some silver Kimber Cable that I found in laying around that were long enough and sound quite good but lack density in this particular setup.

These speakers make me revel in the hobby as there is no fascination like loudspeakers. Hearing so many different takes on the recordings - all the different perspectives at the hand of the different speakers. Thinking countless times that "this is it, the best speaker I've heard" and then moving right into something else that is equally compelling... the hobby has a hauntingly surreal side due to the human perception of sound at any given moment.  Music keeps us all sane in an insane world.

WWW   IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 08/06/21 at 05:05:46

I'm really intrigued. I have to ask:

Can you compare these plus maybe a ZROCK and/or Sub for bass extension, and the Lii Audio Silver 10 Reference speakers with a ZROCK, both powered by the ToriiJrv2? How much range and clarity would I be giving up with the smaller cabinet?

And, as my Torii is order #777, I appreciate you taking the time to get it right, every time. I'm happy to wait for excellence.

Thanks - Michael

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #45 - 08/21/21 at 05:00:56

The drivers have been upgraded to a square frame for less ringing so previous pics are already out dated.  Here is the first of hopefully several teaser videos of the Decware Zen Tube Tots.

https://youtu.be/CYMHBTU6VVU

Use headphones.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #46 - 08/25/21 at 03:12:50

UPDATE ON DECWARE ZEN TUBE TOTS:

A spontaneous entry as it happens:  Real time sorta speak... So I'm listening to the TOTS with some new wire I've been working on since Covid Started.  Tonight I'm testing it for the first time and I guess I'm pretty taken aback.  The combination of amp, source wire and tubes and speakers are taking tonight to where no man has gone before.  We're in the forbidden zone reserved for the Audio Gods... hopefully they're not in a testy mood because holy F'in crap!  If this is what they listen to it makes sense they would have so much compassion on us all.

I know that no one would believe it, but these speakers now broken in and on some all out exotic cables, amps, and source have just broken my concept of what is possible in the bass department from a small speaker.  To stand in the sweet spot and get the giant bear hug from a pair of Tube Tots is a very unusual experience.  I've never had it, until tonight.  I've been doing the annual upgrade, disassemble, clean and reassemble all listening room gear and cables, and at the same time have been working on new cables for our top of the line, and I have to say that on these speakers, which are now bi-wired with the new cables, I may have just beat the Zen STYX.  I've been trying for over 25 years.  Equaled them once, but this might just be the one.

I just can't even believe what I am hearing from these speakers.  The weight is insane. The imaging is insane. The midrange is of the very best I've ever heard.

I did some videos.  Tonights eargasm brought to you by the Zen TORII MK5 with a set of $1300 KT88's from TJ FULL MUSIC featuring solid carbon plates over 2mm thick and bolted together with watch screws.  

Every time a track changes, I have done a face palm in total disbelief to the point where my forehead looks like I got a sun burn and frankly it hurts.

Sorry for this interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thank God I didn't go with this sticker... but that's what R&D is.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #47 - 08/25/21 at 03:59:38

Truly as this evening continues, this combination is staking claim to the best I've ever heard, and it's not even the 25th Anniversary Amp. Which btw, will not properly drive these speakers. But this source, cables, amp, tubes, and the speakers have me so disoriented I don't know what's happening. Then to make matters worse, it's raining outside and thundering, which I didn't even know because the music was too loud to notice... but then the bass was just blowing my mind, and right on cue the thunder filled in the bottom octave and made the room shake and I thought -- no way that just happened... these speakers didn't just do that did they?  That fact that there is a question mark reveals just how good they are.  It was in fact thunder not the bass of the speaker, but well when you hear these videos you'll know were I'm coming from.

God this is fun. Aren't you glad you're part of the Decware family? Right now with the sound I have I literally feel similar to someone who just discovered free energy!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #48 - 08/25/21 at 04:20:12

I'm sorry, but God help me these speakers on the TORII MK5 with these tubes and cables with the HOLO MAY DAC or my REEL to REEL tape machine (they are dead even!) are just destroying me.  I am besides myself trying to comprehend it. This is a special night. The Audio Gods are hear, setting on my couch and two are standing besides me... I can feel them. And if it real, this is the sound I would want them to hear.

I knew when Randy's Besty baffles came into my life there was something special about shapes. I've always known about sacred geometry, but this is a little different.  Nevertheless, this is a take off on that realization with and extremely exotic shape that somehow captures both the interior waves but the exterior shape influences the dispersion and how the sound exits the speaker through the rear port flare.  I have never gotten better base than this from any speaker this small. The closest is the Trapiziums that Bob and Mike Ziegler designed, which are on our site. Still, with twice the drivers these have a pretty unfair advantage.

Point is what I am hearing happening from such a small package is simply impossible. Yet it is happening with less than 20 watts in a 17 x 27 x 15 room with treatment.

This makes me want to glue these to the stands and glue the stands to the floor and epoxy the speaker cables to the speakers and amplifier and epoxy the amplifier to the table so that no-one could change it during the fest. The fest would be just about hearing only this. That's what it makes me want to do.

Steve

Despite the bullshit happening in the world, this is going to be a great winter for the Decware family so keep your head down and happy listening! This kind of sound gives you tremendous energy and perseverance.  We love you all!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #49 - 08/25/21 at 04:49:37

OK, It has to be the combination of the exotic tubes and the new cables.  Nothing else has changed!  It's like having a new  listening room.  It made Tube Tots sound like Zen Master Series Baffles with 15 inch drivers. Seriously. It's just stupid. I think I'm starting to put this together...

Audio Gods are here, my face melted off hours ago, and I'm like a snail stuck on the wall and everything I preach about the weakest link is being reflected back to me now.  Our signature cables have been a make it or brake it deal with our amps for 20 years, and without them you may not have heard what the amps are cable of. In fact I'd bet money on it. That said, after 30 years of trying to beat these cables on crossoverless speakers, it has never happened.  

I may be experiencing the Audio Gods expression of my ZSTYX speaker cable and DSR silver reference cables in this new wire I've been working with during the Covid bummer. Something has literally doubled the sound quality of my system I can 't figure out what... it has to be this wire... which explains why they're here... to audition their wire and watch my face melt in person.  

Well I hope they enjoyed it, because it's at the presuppose of what my brain can handle. It's just blowing my mind so bad as the night gets into the goldilocks zone from 10:30 p.m. to 2:45 a.m.  his is when everything becomes so lucid you have a really hard time processing reality.

It is happening now.

Tracks which I have heard 20 or 30 times with mixed results, but many times if not most times, sound bitten off.  Broken, tainted, mall formed.  Now it sounds real, right, correct, there, I can smell it. I can feel it. I don't even need ears to experience it. This is called the middle of the night bloom which I wrote about in the early audio papers on this web site.

Literally, the reason for all of this, is to experience an exquisite and exotic audio playback system in it's true nature which is a duality. It is a time machine and a space ship.  You can't have one without the other. Together you can suspend your time and reality and travel to the venue and float above the crowd in the sweet spot or just become the music itself.  But you go to when it happens, it doesn't come forward in time and come to you... that's just an illusion. Your stereo is a time machine that takes you to the actual date and time to the precise second that the sound was recorded.  Not mastered, recorded. You experience the event live as it was recorded.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print