Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:43:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone have experience with Jamo IB drivers? (Read 734 times)
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Anyone have experience with Jamo IB drivers?
05/22/22 at 14:57:50

After twenty five or so years ago helping an old buddy install an infinite baffle subwoofer system in his attic, he has recently sprung for some current IB Daytons and a bunch of other stuff.

He had bought six of these '91 vintage Jamo 15" drivers made specifically for Infinite Baffle (receipt from Ovation and users manuals he still had). These drivers were made before the modern era of Klipsch ownership.
They seemed to always be quite effective, unlike most modern box store Jamo products, made after the Klipsch takeover, removing the company's reason for living, according to some opinions.
We ended up building a kind of three sided, truncated pyramid that opened into his home theater room back then.

I have watched many movies at his home and these old things can definitely huff and puff and make some respectable low freqs. But that was movies in a home where I was a guest.

Long story shortened, we took them out this week and installed his new Dayton 15s, new power amp, new Atmos receiver and related equipment.

I traded an old carburetor I no longer intend to use on my '70 Chevelle for them.  ;D

Now I have six "new," kind of old drivers to do something with. The paperwork he had showed a Qts of .795 and Fs of 22Hz. I think the Xmax was 12mm, so these were built before the crazy, extreme excursion subwoofer products came out.

I have heard them after we got his movie rig going ages ago, I looked at them when we built stuff in his attic, I helped to remove them this week, but other than that I have no way to evaluate them just yet.

Cutting another baffle seems obvious, but I am already involved in another project currently.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience or even respect for the Pre-Klipsch era Jamo products.
I know I will build some baffles for them, eventually, but what about Jamo, guys?
I don't hear that brand talked about much.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone have experience with Jamo IB drivers?
Reply #1 - 05/23/22 at 00:28:57

In case you were wondering, his new 6 x 15" Dayton Infinite Baffle subwoofer system is powerful.  
We braced the outside of the pyramid a lot and connected the bracing on the outside to the structure of his attic.
I believe that his new subwoofer system has the potential to disturb your digestion for hours and I know it can cloud your eyes when the big cannon blasts hit.

"Master And Commander" movie has some big, deep lows at times. Even some of the onboard ship scenes, the ocean can ruffle the couch.

He's happy.

Does anybody know anything about Jamo?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print