Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 11:18:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Klipsch RP-5000F 96dB only produce 90dB (Read 938 times)
jeremyblanchard
Verified Member

Klipsch RP-5000F 96dB only produce 90dB
04/20/22 at 20:15:03

Hi everyone,
I just got my SE84UFO yesterday after 13 months of anxiously anticipating its arrival.
I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to play loud enough without distorting. I'm using my non-calibrated iPhone "dB Meter" app and the highest value registered at 1 meter has been 90dB. If I increase the gain on my sources it distorts.

Speakers: Klipsch RP-5000F rated at 96dB 8ohms

Phono Source: iFi Zen Phono has 36dB and 48dB gain options. 48dB distorts. The solution is probably a different Phono stage with ~42dB gain.

Digital Source: iFi Hip Dac Amp. I am using the headphone output and I find it difficult to get it loud enough without distorting.
I plugged in a Panasonic BluRay player with built-in DAC and that distorted as well. I do not know anything about its specs.

Before I go spending money on difference source components I would love some input from this supportive community.

Thanks,
Jeremy

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Re: Klipsch RP-5000F 96dB only produce 90dB
Reply #1 - 04/20/22 at 20:24:17

Jeremy,

From discussions on this forum, I’ve been led to believe that the advertised  sensitivity of Klipsch speakers is higher than the actual performance. Sometimes by several DB which corresponds to your experience.

There may be additional factors, but I would imagine that definitely plays a role.

Andrew

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
jeremyblanchard
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/22 at 20:27:59

If that's true, that could explain it. It's an unfortunate explanation, but an explanation all the same.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/20/22 at 23:38:00

Man 90db really loud for 2 watts.  If you are looking for that volume level you'd be better off with something closer to 10 times the power.

Above all else, a speaker’s impedance directly affects its sensitivity. 2.83 Vrms is the equivalence of one watt with an impedance of 8 Ohms, while an impedance of 4 Ohms will need 2 Watts. The variation here corresponds to a difference of 3 decibels. Besides, extra drivers can as well increase a speaker’s sensitivity.

Ultimately, a speaker with a peak frequency of 1 KHz can be advertised as a highly sensitive model, in spite of the fact that the real sensitivity rating can be a lot lower when we take the whole bandwidth into consideration.

The good news in today's environment you could probably make money selling it  but a Decware replacement would mean waiting at least a year.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/21/22 at 02:31:54

Hi jeremyblanchard,

Klipsch rates RP-600M at 97 dB "in room". Run them on a pair of Schiit 80w mono's. Lii Audio rates F-15's at 98 dB. Real world test show the RP-600M at 89 dB. They are miles apart in sensitivity. The  Klipsch are great speakers , but they need a little power.

IP Logged
jeremyblanchard
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/22 at 14:16:50

Thanks for the replies everyone. It would appear that the Klipsch laboratory ratings are a bit 'optimistic'.

To be clear, 90dB peaks are generally loud enough but sometimes I want the capability to listen too loud. Even with that in mind, the genesis of my question came from the discrepancy of printed values versus actual values.

I ordered the Decware because of the great reviews and the expectation that my Klipsch speakers would be more than loud enough with a 96dB rating. I've already ordered a different phono preamp with, hopefully, more optimal gain ranges.

Thanks again and happy listening

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/21/22 at 21:28:19

I too have Klipsch speakers (Heresy) with 98DB and was concerned as well as I had never owned a tube amp. I have the UFO2 and I find it plenty loud, and with the same DB app can run at 85-90 average from 9.5 feet away without distortion or my meters dancing close to clipping. I do run with a DAC-AMP. The clarity and density of the sound to me makes it sound even louder but at the same time enjoyable without stress.

Hope you get it settled so you can revel with your amp!

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print