Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 05:28:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm confused: what's the Taboo's max speaker watts (Read 1425 times)
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

I'm confused: what's the Taboo's max speaker watts
04/20/22 at 16:08:30

I have a Taboo III UFO. My PDF manual states that the maximum speaker output is 4.6 watts:

Quote:
SPECIFICATIONS
"Single ended Class A Pentode
4.6 watts into 8 ohms
2.1 volts for full output .........."

However, the web page for the Taboo IV states that the output power is 2 watts (twice the 1000mv into an 8 ohm headphone load):

Quote:
HEADPHONE IMPEDANCE      POWER OUTPUT @ HEADPHONE JACK.
Figures double into loudspeakers.
4 ohms
     500 mw
8 ohms
     1000 mw

This is a big difference. Which is the correct number into a nominal 8ohm speaker load?

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: I'm confused: what's the Taboo's max speaker watts
Reply #1 - 04/20/22 at 19:25:54

4 watts or so is what my Taboo Mk IV seems to put out.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/22 at 21:23:21

Thanks for the reply Lon. That's what I always thought, however, Steve's web page seems to suggest otherwise (probably an error).

Also, the web page for the Taboo should list the output power into speakers since it can power speakers as well as headphones.

P.S. Does anyone have a good idea of the current wait time for new orders? I've read it now approaching 2 years.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/20/22 at 21:25:45

I know! It was originally a speaker amp and it is an AWESOME one. I too think that there is possibly a cut and paste error on the page. Those figures seem to be for the Zen amps, and the Taboo is definitely more powerful.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/21/22 at 21:21:46

The Taboo MK IV is 3.2 watts.

It was rebuilt from the ground up, for the main basic purpose of being a headphone amp. It is absolutely incredible for that function.

The speaker amp is its 2nd order of business, and IME its far better as a headphone amp than a speaker amp.

So my mileage for speaker duty did vary, and vary alot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print