Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 23:57:55 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Torii MKV vs. twin UFO25s? (Read 13305 times)
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Torii MKV vs. twin UFO25s?
04/08/22 at 17:00:24

I have a loaded MKV on order with a csp325c ZP3, zrock2 for record play only with efficient speakers.

After reading a hundred glowing reviews on the UFO25, I'm wondering how the MKV might compare to two UFO25s used as monoblocks. I enjoy weight to my music, listen to a lot of rock, and like a decent hitting bass. But the liquidity of the UFOs are also quite appealing.

If anyone might have any pros or cons to offer on the variations between these two systems, I'd sure appreciate it! I'd love to drive over for a listening session, but that's not possible in the immediate future.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Torii MKV vs. twin UFO25s?
Reply #1 - 04/08/22 at 18:22:08

You are likely to get recommendations from both sides of your options. Personally I moved away from the Torii sound to the Anniversary Zen sound and love the lower powered amps more, but I also play mostly jazz with some Brazilian and classic rock mixed in. With your stated "tastes" I say you may be best situated with the Mk IV. That just should "rock" more.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/08/22 at 18:49:18

I do listen to a fair amount of jazz. To be honest, I'm kind of all over the board. Aren't you running mono UFOs, Lon? How would you describe their bass presentation with an album, such as Steely Dan's Gaucho? I'm curious if a track such as "Hey Nineteen," will shake the room as it will on a 20WPC amp?

I'm not a basshead by any stretch, but I do enjoy a full frequency presentation with a meaty low end.

Decisions are hard, but these are decisions I'm most thankful to have!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/08/22 at 19:24:17

I'm running SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the Anniversary Mods.

My copy of Gaucho is 45 miles away in storage, but that's exactly what would set the two topologies apart. The Anniversary sound I have (which is not two mono blocked Anniversary amps, that would be more power and I'm not sure exactly how that would sound) would definitely fill the room with fantastic sound, but I don't think you would quite experience the bass the way you might in the same circumstances with the Mk IV.

Now I have bass guitars, a contrabass violin and an electric version of same. I love bass. I'm very happy with the bass from my Monoblocks, but there's more impact with the Torris I had. BUT I'm very satisfied overall with the other qualities of the sound, and they are what I'd rather have.

For me the Zen amp sound is just more "cohesive" and less "hifi" and that's what I've moved towards all my listening life. Draws me IN more than hits me like the guy on the sofa on the Maxwell ad.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 04/08/22 at 20:30:44

the Torii is a push-pull design, where the SE84 variants are single ended.  The Torii is more dynamic - period.  This especially becomes more important as the efficiency of partnering speakers goes down.  I have owned both and I kept the Torii, it just sounds more like "live" music to me - especially at low volumes.  The SE amps definitely have their charms too.  You choose your priorities and you makes your decisions - or you just get/have/keep both and have more "toys" to play with to match your mood at any particular point in time.  I go through "periods" of time where I listen predominantly to one type of music and I adjust my system for the best synergy for whatever type of music I'm listening to at the time. 

I have owned the Decware 945's, I currently have two variations of the Betsy Baffles, and I have custom Hawthorne Audio Trio's, which I have run the Hawthorne 15" coaxial in the middle(full range) position of the baffles.  And I replaced the coaxials with Audio Nirvana SCF-15" ferrite drivers.  And I have recently replaced the Audio Nirvana's with Lii Audio 15's.  The AN drivers are very sensitive, in the 99 db 1w/1m vicinity, and the Torii driving these brings the performers "into the room" like no other speakers I've ever owned.  The Lii's are a little more refined sounding in the upper mids and into the treble (as far as they go) but seem to be a bit less sensitive than the Audio Nirvana's.

For a comparison, I also have a pair of Martin Logan electrostats, the Vista model.  These driven by 100's of watts of class A/B or Class D amplification do not even begin to compare to the OB Trio's w/Audio Nirvana or Lii Audio drivers driven by my Torii. when it comes to just about everything, resolution, dynamics, low-volume liveliness, etc.  In fact, one of my audio buddies, nicknamed my electrostats "slow-gans" after hearing the Torii and Trio OB's with the AN drivers.  The electrostats will "get it done", but you have to really turn up the volume to begin to approach the Torii and modified OB Hawthorne Trio's.  But they never quite make it all the way "there".

You just need to try and hear combinations of both, and choose what you like best.  Nobody can tell you, what you will like best.  We can only share our "subjective" experiences and opinions.  YMWV.
Grin

P.S. my Torii is a MK.III.  it has the output cap upgrade and stepped attenuator.  I have A/B'd it to a MK.IV - and I like the III better for crossover-less, full range, high efficiency speakers.  I don't anticipate ever parting with my Torii III.  I have a friend who also has a Torii III, and he recently told me that he planned on "having it buried with him"..
He pairs his Torii with Betsy Baffles with the Wild Burro Betsy W.O.W. driver and the Dayton OB AMT tweeter.  This is one of best speakers I've ever heard - cost not considered - though they are dirt cheap by audiophile standards.  Sub/s required IMO.  
And my Trio's have two 15" Hawthorne Augie's per baffle - 4 total = mid-bass weight, space and presence you can feel - even at low volumes.
Get the highs and mid's where you like, and then add bass if you feel the need.  But there is a reason "they say" bass is the foundation.  I don't know that I necessarily agree with that 100%.  I think you need a "balance" that floats your own boat across the entire frequency range.  After all we are all "individuals" and we each hear and perceive sound a little differently and place different priorities on the various aspects.

Whatever blows your hair back - is all that should matter to you.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/08/22 at 20:55:53

I have not had experience with the Torii but have had experience with the ZEN UfO amps.  Recently I acquired a pair of Omega Vintage 7 HO and they still breaking in.

I have had ERRX, and Omega S3HOXRS.  After listening to the Omega Vintage 7 HO I came to some conclusions that also apply to the many and various high power low efficiency set ups that I have had over the years.  The conclusions in many ways harmonize with what has been already stated and I would like to add the following...

The speaker/room/amp/tube pairing with whatever amp you choose will be essential.  My single UFO25 paired with the Omega Vintage 7 HO (ZR2 as well) is giving a bass foundation that is totally unexpected and was not there with the other pairings including some of the high power low efficiency pairings that I have had.  The dynamic drive is simply compelling to the point that it is hard to sit or stand still at times.  I have had to turn down the setting on my ZR2 and put the UFO25 in the low input tube bias setting.

I'm not suggesting that this pairing will give the same hit as a 15" driver as I have not had the large Zen OB speakers.  But the bass foundation is present at lower volume levels than before, is palpable and can be felt.

Based on that I would say choose an amp, whether that be a Torii or a pair of Zens and be prepared to work with your choice until you get the result that will satisfy you.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 04/08/22 at 23:26:47

So I haven't heard the Torii either, but I have a pair of UFOs (with with anniversary mods, not the UFO25) configured as balanced mono blocs. And for me in my smallish room with Omega Super AlNiCo Monitors the bass is everything I need for Zeppelin to Bruckner to the Buddy Rich big band. But truthfully I'm not really a bass head and the speed and transparency of the amps is what I value the most. They are so good that I ordered a pair of UFO25s 5 months ago because, I guess, I want to see if I can get even more of the speed and transparency and maybe even more LF extension thrown in.

As long as your speakers are sensitive enough to work well with the UFOs (mine are advertised as 94 dB in a smallish room) I don't think you can go wrong with either.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/09/22 at 00:07:05

Right on, guys, thanks so much for all the comments! They're all really helpful. I think I'm probably going to stick with the MKV as a Jack-of-all-trades family amp. My wife and I buy all kinds of different records, and the weird 80s synth pop she brings home would probably fare better with the Torii. She's a big Beatles nut too!

I was initially drawn to the torii, the MKV more specifically whilst following Steve's build/development thread. Apparently the liquidity and overall sonic signature has been enhanced significantly, especially with the 25th mods, which I've ordered. I've been scouring the forums/internet for reviews and or impressions, but the well is dry.

Any more comments, or experiences are appreciated! Keep 'em
Coming!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 04/09/22 at 00:20:42

I think "the well is dry" because as of yet there aren't too many of the Mk IVs out there yet. Give it some time. . . .

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/09/22 at 00:36:24

Yes, that was my assumption also. I'm anxious to hear impressions from SET owners, in hope that they share their impressions on its efficiency at emulating SET characteristics.

The harmonic waveforms Steve shared comparing the two are quite compelling.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/09/22 at 12:19:15

As others have said. There are people who prefer the SET sound and people who prefer the Push-Pull sound. I suggest you go with your first instinct, the MKV.

I love my Torii MKIV and I have a Torii MKV on order. The MKIV is going into a second system. I’m looking forward to learning the differences between the two versions. 

As I write this, I have an UFO25TH on loan and my Torii is sitting next to me, enjoying a different perspective.

I’m still rolling tubes on the UFO25TH. I’m waiting on a OD3 which might be the magic ticket. Once I get the OD3 and tweak it a bit more. I’ll report back.

When you say emulating SET characteristics, I’m not sure what you mean by that.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/09/22 at 15:58:19

Even order harmonics, which are typically elusive in push/pull designs. The harmonic charts comparing the MKV and the UFO are remarkably similar.

I'm glad to hear that you're so happy with your Torii!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 04/10/22 at 04:28:55

Bluemage makes a great point and after reading this thread I am compelled to make a comment.  When people at the Decware family table say they like the push pull sound vs single ended I think it means the feeling of headroom and a touch more bass slam with many speakers.  This makes sense because it is 10x the power.  BUT, at a particular listening volume with 94dB speakers on up, I don't notice a big difference in dynamics, weight, speed, or anything else between our SET amps and the Push Pulls... at least not enough to make me want to switch from on to the other.  Now, when I listen to the less efficient speakers, even though I am VOLUME MATCHED between the low power and the higher power push pull I gravitate towards the push pull because it manages the higher moving mass and crossover components better.  On crossover-less stuff that is 100dB it's incredibly hard to tell any difference between the two amps until you start to turn things up loud.  I call it the 1dB per beer equation where you increase the volume by 1 dB after each beer, which takes about an hour.  Makes for a short night with 2 watts since you likely started near max power.

So back to Bluemage's point, this is why when you have dynamic 100dB speakers with no crossovers, it is so hard to tell the amps apart, and when you have higher mass drivers and crossovers the additional leverage of push-pull becomes useful.

BTW, twin UFO25's in fully differential balanced mode is very compelling.,    and again, on 94dB on up that combination sounds as good or better than a ZMA or TORII.  

This would be a completely different conversation if the harmonics of all these amps were wildly different, especially the Push Pull amplifiers.

Also, the Decware amplifiers are all pretty much designed to drive real world impedances without getting their panties in a bunch every time the impedance drops really low.  This gives a good sense of drive at low volume with most speakers.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/10/22 at 04:55:34

Thank you very much for the input, Steve! It's nice to hear feedback from THE MAN himself. I might email you with a few more questions in the coming days. Twin UFO25s keep tugging at my emotions.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/10/22 at 05:32:54

For me the choice between a MKV and monoblocked UFO25s is a once in a lifetime decision. Once made, that's the system, and after that I'll be listening to the music, not to other gear (mixing and matching gear and "listening critically" instead of just listening drove me out of my first audiophile phase years ago...just as working for Hollywood mostly killed my interest in filmed entertainment, since it's hard to enjoy content when I'm "screening" it, noticing the random mic boom in the frame & etc.).

W/o access to demo units, I made my decision (second- and third-guessing myself along the way and probably driving Sarah nuts in the process) by spending a lot of time reading the forums and Steve's development blogs.

His very lucid comment above the lack of difference between MKV and mono UFO25s notwithstanding, I have to say, I get the distinct impression from comments he has dropped here and there that he would regard monoblocked UFO25s with CSP325 preamplification as the pinnacle, at least on points. With 6 watts/channel and the benefits of short-short speaker cable, I think there will be enough "there" to work with.

Short speaker cable length thanks to monoblocking is a major factor in the decision. I read something by Nelson Pass years ago where he more or less said that 6 inches of zipcord is probably just as good as 8 feet of high-end speaker cable, but even better is to eliminate the cable entirely, and it's a difference anyone can notice.

This is why I keep my Class D powered speakers. The sonics are not to die for, but the amp/driver connection is very compelling. The watts are THERE, right at the surface of the driver.

Powered Decware speakers, Steve?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 04/10/22 at 05:42:31

Burgermeester wrote on 04/10/22 at 05:32:54:

Powered Decware speakers, Steve?

Decware used to sell DNA speakers with built-in Zen amplifiers; probably could still be something you could talk to Steve about. Years back when they were on a product page I came very close to ordering them more than once. Wink

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/10/22 at 06:04:26

A lot to think about, Burger. And I'm with you. When I buy this system, I plan on it being my lifetime system. I've researched for years, settled on Decware, saved the coin, and I just want to enjoy the pinnacle and stack records to the ceiling. I'm not one to replace systems every X number of years. I just want to make sure I make the right choice for me within the Decware family.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/10/22 at 07:51:47

And with no shade to Decware pricing, one could really question whether TWO UFO25s are truly sensible cost-wise, when you're looking at the MKV as an alternate. I closed my eyes and chose the monoblocks, and will keep them closed!!

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/10/22 at 14:25:14

I'm trying to keep them closed, but they keep snapping open!

Could someone kindly explain fully balanced differential mode? If one were to order twin UF025s to be used as monoblocks, is there something different that needs to be done to them--as opposed to a single UFO being used traditionally? Like, would one need to specify this intent upon ordering because some additional mod needs to be accounted for, or is it an inherent option within the standard design?

Are there special connects needed for such a setup, and does Decware sell them?

IP Logged
Giggsy
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 04/10/22 at 15:34:46

May I suggest you download and read the manual Bluemage.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #20 - 04/10/22 at 16:02:58

Quote:
Posted by: Bluemage      Posted on: Today at 14:25:14

Could someone kindly explain fully balanced differential mode?

Happily, it is the reason I bought 2 UFOs, and have a pair of UFO25 on order. The details are on page 11 of the UFO25 manual (or 17 of the UFO manual, it is the same for all versions of the UFO amp). Basically you need to get a custom made XLR -> 2 RCA jumper that breaks out the + and - phase of the balanced signal. Then you use the L and R channel of the amp for the + and - phase of the balanced signal.

Steve mentioned in another thread that Decware was looking into offering these cables but until then you need organize them yourself. I actually tried making them, but around the office I'm what is called a "software guy" and they turned out pretty rough. Originally I got "starter" cables here:

http://www.signalcable.com/

And then nicer ones here, when I was sure this a keeper:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/filipash4ever?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

He has a wide variety of cables and connectors to choose from.

If you have any other questions let me know. There are a few other posters who are doing the balanced monobloc thing, and we are all very happy.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/10/22 at 19:10:12

Awesome, James! Thanks so much for the explanation! I'll try to download the manual and read further into it myself.

Is your current rig balanced mono UFO25s? If so, do you ever find yourself in want of more? Namely in regard to weight, bass slam, etc? I'm trying to imagine how amazing it must sound.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/10/22 at 20:10:58

And I'm seeing XLR connections. Does utilizing this method require the addition of XLR connections on the amp?

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 04/10/22 at 20:15:50

Blumage, I cannot speak for the UFO's, but from what is likely a similar experience with what I at first thought was an end game amp in a Taboo MK IV.

Mistake #1 was the purchase based on miscalculated priorities. I believed I would spend more time with headphones than what actually panned out. This amp was designed for headphones in mind, speakers were just a sidebar. The amp sounded nice with single driver towers, no doubt about it, but as time went on I realized there were limitations with a 3.2w amp, and yes that's in a small room with pretty efficient speakers [95db]. Even with a ZRock2, using a 6922 input tube [a tad more gain], and a ZBIT that allowed for 4.5 volts instead of the standard 2 volts, and including a subwoofer, there remained a nagging leanness and lack of weight on enough recordings to make it frustrating and annoying. I learned to always hope for power that was never to be there. HEADROOM is what was needed, and opening up everything near full throttle alot of the time which I despise having to do.

Mistake #2 was taking another forum member's word for it and basing too much of my opinion on his. That most assuredly I will never do again, for it was a lack of common sense on my behalf.

If you are comfortable with very little to no headroom and that isn't important to you, then by all means change your order. Just try and think of things long term though and realize the possible corner you're putting yourself into....you may find yourself in a larger room down the road, or other things might change that will leave you in the dust.

Also keep in mind that with the UFO, your choices in speakers will be limited to high [at the least] to very high efficiency variety.

Good luck on your final decision....make it count.

Brad

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 04/10/22 at 20:32:36

Very good advice, Brad, and it truly is helpful.

I enjoy a nice amount of headroom, and while I do hope to have Cornwall IVs sometime around the time I get my Decware amp--whichever model it is--I do have a fairly large room as it is, with a 20ft ceiling.

Are you still running the same amp, or did you upgrade to something with bigger balls?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #25 - 04/10/22 at 21:10:49

Quote:
Posted by: Bluemage      Posted on: Today at 19:10:12
Awesome, James! Thanks so much for the explanation! I'll try to download the manual and read further into it myself.

Is your current rig balanced mono UFO25s? If so, do you ever find yourself in want of more? Namely in regard to weight, bass slam, etc?

Happy to help. My current amps are UFOs, not UFO25s. I got them with the power supply bypass caps and upgraded signal cap, which two years ago were the "anniversary mods."  That is different from the UFO25 aka the Anniversary Edition that has (among other things) a redesigned power supply with voltage regulator tubes. I ordered a pair of UFO25s in November but they are still a year or more away from my listening room.

As for wanting more bass, I have plenty for me, and as a practical matter in my room I don't think I could get much more regardless of what I did but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't occasionally enjoy more of the "gut punch" you get from a high power truly full range system in an optimal room. But I made peace with that a long time ago and I'm not willing to give up any of the huge sound stage, the speed and transparency and gorgeous liquid tonality of my current system for any more bass.

Quote:
And I'm seeing XLR connections. Does utilizing this method require the addition of XLR connections on the amp?

Not XLR on the amp, you need a balanced source with XLR outputs. Then you split the balanced signal to 2 RCAs that connect to the L and R channel of the UFO. If you don't have a balanced source then the balanced monobloc thing won't work, but you can still configure the amps in "regular" bridged mono, it is described in the same place in the manual.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 04/10/22 at 21:15:53

Very helpful, James! I'm glad you're enjoying your system so much, and I'm sure the 25ths you have on order will just take everything to a whole new level!

After all of this new info, I'm going to have to do a bit more forum crawling. I've got a good bit of time to change my order if I need to. If money was no issue, I'd just get the MKV rig for the living room, and a UFO25 with tube tots for the bedroom!

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/10/22 at 21:15:54

The question of which Decware amp to go with has become highly strategic, given cost, the queue, and the human lifespan. This can make it daunting, but it doesn't have to be.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/buyingguide.html

This chart pretty much makes the high-power argument. The difference between the Torii vs. the 6-watt SE341.4 is very clear cut. Way more choice in speakers, too.

Do they sound much different? Steve says no. As I've mentioned, owning powered monitors has made me sensitive to the effects of speaker cable length, which I think casts just the teeniest haze over the music -- unless you spend megabucks on cables, but good lord, it's so subjective I might almost be imagining it.

I (almost) never listen to music at high levels, but then again I don't have a big room to fill. If I ever do, the 30-watt Pass Aleph 3 (currently out for recapping at Pass) is for that, or some other SS amp I will buy in the future, just because I like to try something different now and then, and which will be laughably cheaper than anything Decware offers, because it's actually available to me used, at half the MSRP and in perfect working order, and will arrive in 3 days instead of 2 years, thus making the choice between UFO25 monoblocks vs. the Torii much less of a nail-biter.

Blumage, have you read Steve's UFO25 development log? The Torii solves a real problem. The question is whether it's going to be your problem... Or whether, if it is, you might want to just have a 200-watt SS amp for those sessions where you want your system to grab you by the throat. Sometimes that's important too.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 04/10/22 at 21:22:25

I started reading it last night, and am about 7 pages in!

Which problem are you referencing? An increase in power?

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/10/22 at 21:37:58

Yep, power.

Someone as illiterate in tech as I am should not be shooting his mouth off about things like this, but AFAIK each 3 dB of volume (not that that's a such a small amount) requires a doubling of watts from the amp. Thus the utility of having a 200-watt amp that will rarely need to output more than some tiny fraction of that. I have a 200-watt amp with meters and they rarely ever go above 5 watts or so. If they do it means I'm bothering the neighbors.

My PERSONAL take on this very strategic decision is that if 6 watts isn't enough, maybe you need 30 or 50 or 100, perhaps from solid state and obtained used, which puts some pretty high-end amps within reach. Having both SET and SS solves the dilemma.

I do know people who listen a lot at pretty generous SPLs and I can understand how being slightly shy on power could get irritating after a while.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 04/10/22 at 21:55:40

I think you make a good point Burgermeester. I don't have a PP tube amp, so can't say from experience what tonal and power sound difference is like between SE and PP. I have a mini Torii and SE84C+ and both are fantastic for normal listening (probably mid 70's db for me.)

When I want significantly more volume, I use SS because in this mode I am not generally listening as intently and so am not so focused on tone. Besides that, the SS I have sounds great. No, it's not equivalent to SE tube, but it is still very enjoyable and has power for higher volumes. I can meet both needs and not break the bank.

If had no gear at all and wanted the one amp that would be a lifetime amp, I would probably seriously consider PP, but I am not changing what I have now. I am quite satisfied and don't want to chase after something I have never experienced.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 04/10/22 at 22:06:18

Quote:
Very good advice, Brad, and it truly is helpful.

I enjoy a nice amount of headroom, and while I do hope to have Cornwall IVs sometime around the time I get my Decware amp--whichever model it is--I do have a fairly large room as it is, with a 20ft ceiling.

Are you still running the same amp, or did you upgrade to something with bigger balls?

You're most welcome. I sold the Taboo quite some time ago to a proper loving home with a headphones only guy.....and am living with a Line Magnetic 34ia as a power amp at the moment {which will be inserted into a 2nd system}, and waiting for the Torii MK 5 w/25th mods order which will be a significant upgrade in all ways I care about.

20ft ceiling, fairly large room, its important to you to not have to full throttle the amp....may I strongly recommend you keep your order as is, you'll not need to want, scrape, and only wish. That was a mistake I made, the Taboo is a SEP amp by the way.

Then again, you'd only be listening to me, which can also be a mistake. But I do say my words honestly and from actual experience.

Steve does say the Torii MK 5 has real good balls, beyond its 20.6w rating....now coming from him, its worth the serious take.

BTW, its not about SS-like pure volume madness. I did that gig for a long time and it was unsatisfying no matter how I looked at it. Its about having some critical headroom and control within; think of the wonder of torque vs. straight horsepower.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/10/22 at 22:26:18

It's quite beautiful too. I'm thinking its pairing with the csp325, the ZP3, the Zrock2, and likely the Rega Planar 10 will be a quality experience. Might even rip open a wormhole and suck me into some kind of audio Nirvana vortex!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 04/10/22 at 22:33:03

Blue,

If you're getting a CSP325 {the anniversary edition?], you're going to be very happy. I had one, but sold it. It was stellar. I now have a CSP3 with only the signal cap upgrade, and its outshined by the -25 by a nautical mile. Which is why I need to finally get down to it, rip it open and replace about 25 parts, half of it with Miflex caps and a power supply bypass. I have the plans, it will be my first venture into this experience.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/10/22 at 22:45:48

Very cool. Yes, as my order stands, it's a loaded MKV, a CSP325, a ZP3 phono stage, and a Zrock2. Oh yeah, and a Decware power conditioner. All of this will be pushing a pair of Norman Lab model 9s--and I'll most likely, have some Cornwall IVs by the time it all arrives.

I'm still sorting out what power cables and speaker connects to add to my order.

Ever in search of that perfect magic, I asked myself if bridged mono UFO25s would be the better amp choice, but now I'm leaning back to keeping with my original order.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 04/10/22 at 22:58:51

Wow, you went all-in like I did with the Decware orders. Congrats on your guts....I admire that.

And all that with the Cornwall IV's should be a very, very special system.

I can't wait to hear all about it!

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 04/10/22 at 23:17:06

Thanks man, I will for sure!

Yeah, man, I've been studying systems for years. I'm currently cruising along with a 1963 Sherwood S-5000 II tube integrated amp, and it's nice, but it was time to go to the next level. My wife and I have been buying tons of records lately, and she gave me the green light, so I just went for the glory.

From all of my studies, Steve is the man. And not only do I love his designs, but I also dig his ethos, that his products are made in the USA, and that he gives blow-by-blows on his wild listening/design sessions. Products become far more compelling when there's a palpable connection to its architect. I'm sick of buying things without a face associated with them, ya know?

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 04/10/22 at 23:27:25

Quote:
Yeah, man, I've been studying systems for years. I'm currently cruising along with a 1963 Sherwood S-5000 II tube integrated amp, and it's nice, but it was time to go to the next level. My wife and I have been buying tons of records lately, and she gave me the green light, so I just went for the glory.

From all of my studies, Steve is the man. And not only do I love his designs, but I also dig his ethos, that his products are made in the USA, and that he gives blow-by-blows on his wild listening/design sessions. Products become far more compelling when there's a palpable connection to its architect. I'm sick of buying things without a face associated with them, ya know?

amen brother! nicely put and articulate  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 04/10/22 at 23:42:31

Thank ya, kindly!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #39 - 04/11/22 at 00:04:44

Hey Brad. This is a good opportunity to finally ask, how in Hell do you highlight (quote) in white, and add it to a reply???

Thanks,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 04/11/22 at 00:12:50

Quote:
Hey Brad. This is a good opportunity to finally ask, how in Hell do you highlight (quote) in white, and add it to a reply???

Thanks,

Geno

no sweat my man.

1. click on reply button
2. scroll down, identify the text you want quoted -- then highlight and copy it.
3. scroll back up to the message/post area, click on the 12th icon from the left [a folded piece of paper with a blue arrow facing to the right].
4. paste the quoted text in between the set of quote brackets created in the message area when you clicked on the quote icon.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #41 - 04/11/22 at 00:19:00

“I see” said the blind man…

Many thanks my ‘tell it like it is, and take no prisoners’ , right-wing friend!

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 04/11/22 at 00:19:42

Wow. Steve may be a circuit master, but that's some message board wizardry if ever I've heard it! We're all pecking along at our chess boards whilst you're playing 9d quantum chess! Haha.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 04/11/22 at 00:20:22

Anytime Geno my friend, the pleasure was all mine Smiley

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 04/11/22 at 01:56:08

Great thread and Steve’s response was very educational.  I posted a similar question recently trying to understand whether I should stick to my Rachael (on order) or move up to to the Torii Jr.  One other perspective I received from a Rachael owner (though not on this forum) is to factor in the number of tubes that I’d have to manage if I went up the line and that did give me some pause given the current tube crisis.  So, have I made up up mind? Not necessarily, though its heavily tilted towards the flea watt amp.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 04/11/22 at 02:42:28

I feel your pain! Expensive decisions can be tough, especially when you're trying to make them for a lifetime setup.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 04/11/22 at 03:50:15

As I now ponder whether I should switch my UFO25 monoblock order to a MKV (ha ha), I know that if I own the 25s, I'll always wonder how the MKV would've compared. If I own the MKV, I'll always wonder how the 25s would've compared.

But I also know I'll wonder a lot less about the former than about the latter, which for a lifetime decision is important to me.

All my inferences, absent the ability to do an actual A/B comparison, are based on statements that Steve -- The Designer -- has made in his UFO25 development log and elsewhere (comments like "these XYZ speakers are unbelievable with the Torii Junior -- only monoblocked 25s would be better," etc.).

I'm sorry, but when someone says things like "the audio gods made their will manifest through me" or statements to that effect, they don't get to take them back, that's it!

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 04/11/22 at 04:30:08

Haha. Burger, you and I are like the deaf leading the deaf. Neither of us have heard the respective amps we have ordered, yet you're (unintentionally) influencing me to change mine to yours, and perhaps, the I'm unwillingly doing the same to you!

Here's my main point of concern with changing to the UFO25s. I have a Chinese single-ended 5WPC amp called a Glow Audio One. By no means am I comparing this commie outfit to a Decware, by any means. But Given that it's output is similar to what a bridged mono UFO25 rig would be, I'd appreciate any information either confirming or flagrantly disagreeing with the notion that their output would be similar.

I haven't used the Glow in years, as I shelved it for a Chicago made Sherwood, but I recently hooked it up to my 94db speakers and the volume, presence, weight, basically left me very underwhelmed. I understand that nothing about these 2 amps would be the same, save a similar wattage rating--I guess I'm just trying to understand why a 6 watt system might shake the house, while a 5 watt system of a different make will barely shake a cardboard box.

Meanwhile, my 23 watt Sherwood will shake the rafters with a bass response that literally shakes the floor at times.

I guess it's my own a/b that's screwing me up. I play my 5watt glow and it's a giant gray blanket of blah, then move to the Sherwood and really good pressings leave people's jaws agape. I spun Fagen's Morph the Cat for my family at Christmas and it literally blew my brother in law's mind. And that's with Mis-balanced channels, which is why I'm done with vintage audio. It's been to 3 technicians and no one can fix the worm carbon paths in the volume pot! Hence, the new Decware order.

In my mind, I'm equating the MKV to my Sherwood and the UFO25 to my Glow--strictly in terms of volume presentation. Again, this may be completely out of line and superbly flawed, in which case I'd love to be taken to school.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 04/11/22 at 04:48:02

Yeah, I know (sigh). Here's more.

When I think back to all the reviewers who have flatly stated things like "I heard no limitation at all with the UFO's [not the UFO25, but anyway] ability to drive my 88dB speakers to very high levels" I'm kind of wondering, seriously? I mean, because reviewers. They don't generally diss on their reviews.

I recently bought a headphone amp, after reading many reviews, and it fell so short of expectations I was astonished. It wasn't all that expensive, but still. Maybe there was a reason it sounded so blah, but these experiences scar the soul.

Going for 14 extra watts/channel as insurance, so to speak, and not worrying too much about possibly missing the finer points of the 25s might not be a bad strategy after all. I tend to listen to music pretty near field, so that's another reason I'm nervous about missing out on whatever it is about SET -- in the form of monoblocked 25s -- that causes Steve to stay up all night listening.

OTOH, I notice that UFO owners have been relatively quiet on this thread. Again, they may not be in a position to compare, but are concerns about the UFO as beautiful, but possibly falling short in the power dept, valid? Are the reviewers only saying power's ample because they don't have 20 watts of Decware push/pull to compare it to?

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/11/22 at 05:02:19

All valid points! I envy the folks that drive to the shop for thorough a/bs. I'm in Oklahoma, so I could do it without it being that big of a deal, but then again, I have no rational explanation as to why I'm thinking of switching in the first place. I have no doubt in my mind that the MKV will pull out a meaty pair of balls and drop them on the table, sustaining my sonic whims and then some.

If I KNEW that the bridged UFO25s would pack that same heft, I'd totally pony up more cash for the mysterious SET sonic signature. But the thought of my current 5WPC's anemic presentation is hard to shake.

Steve's commentary is what I trust most, as he doesn't have a dog in the fight, so to speak. He's proud of all his designs, and there's no confirmation bias anchoring him to a lofty purchase. If I bought (x) amp, I'd be way more likely to sing it's praises for a host of psychological reasons, many of which are occurring subconsciously.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print