04/24/24 at 21:58:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Let's talk tubes... (Read 1663 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Let's talk tubes...
04/07/22 at 13:33:13

What's the future?  Is the Russian market dead, gone?  Is it time to start shopping for a SS amp?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Let's talk tubes...
Reply #1 - 04/07/22 at 14:23:30

The Russian market is going to be stifled for some time I think. I think companies and legislatures will find a way to have American owned companies still supplying. There are still a few other manufacturers in Europe and China, and a US plant is talking of expanding. Tubes will be around, if only because of the guitar amp market.

I've stockpiled enough prior to the current crisis to ensure I never have to go solid state unless I find I prefer the sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/13/22 at 00:30:55

I think Steve may have addressed this question already, but I am trying to gauge how the ever evolving tube supply situation may affect the build list. I'd have to imagine Steve doesn't have a vast horde of tubes at his disposal. As someone a few hundred down the list I could foresee a dwindling supply putting the brakes on the whole process.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 04/13/22 at 18:59:54

If Russian tubes were all abducted by aliens from the entire surface of the planet it would have no effect on our production.

There are Slovakian tubes, Chinese Tubes in current production and American Tubes & European tubes among the millions of New Old Stock tubes that will all work in Decware amplifiers. There would never be a time when a customer couldn't find all of the above on eBay, to name just one place.

Right now Russian tubes are being distributed through China.

I would be a lot more worried if we were using circuit chips/microprocessors in our equipment that the inability to get a particular chip would stop production on a product.  That problem has nothing to do with the war.

We live in a society that is programmed to panic.  Decware amps are built with capacitors, resistors, transformers, and tubes.  Nothing else.  There are no solid state parts that will ever become obsolete or unavailable so long as the world runs on electricity.  Anyone who can solder can fix one with no electronics experience or test equipment.  Just replace the parts that are burnt and the amp is like new again.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/16/22 at 22:07:26

Thank you, Steve. Great perspective and insight. I’ll chill out.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print