04/08/22 at 15:44:42

smart or a silly waste of $$?

Brad

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: RCA jack dust covers
Reply #1 - 04/08/22 at 16:48:05

Any jack or patch bay that faces the sky will always benefit from cover over time. I say that because Jim Gamble put his console jackfields facing up and I had to buy specialized tools to keep that patchbay clean and corrosion free.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/09/22 at 21:41:32

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/09/22 at 23:40:10

For me the silicon cap is perfect.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/09/22 at 23:42:20

done deal. thanks Ed!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/11/22 at 14:24:16

When I took "electronics" elective in high school, our instructor was a WWII navy RADAR operator, returned to civilian life as a teacher. He had worked on advanced classified technology that "did not exist" during the war.  

We built projects out of old TVs in his class. My second semester project was to build a therimin. He thought it was silly, but he helped. The results got me an "A" for the year.

He insisted that ANY input to your system that you are not using should be shorted. This increased sensitivity of the rest of the system. He even had shorted connectors for all his unused o'scopes' inputs.

I wonder how this ancient tech relates to modern tube tech. Can't really define which is more important to us in audio, input or output, but to a RADAR guy, it was all about the most sensitive input.

Should those dust shrouds short the unused inputs?
I know some of my old pro audio Yamaha gear came with shorting adapters. Is this a "thing" these days?

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/12/22 at 22:11:27

Reiteration:

A serious question, here.
These are shorting adapters, guys, crappy ones. Dead short between the contacts.  I think these came with a Japanese made Kenwood I had at one time.

Is this something I should be using on all my unused inputs (obviously, better ones) and just didn't know it, yet?

Shorting_adapters_tiny.jpg

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/07/22 at 05:12:20

I am going to bump this thread, instead of starting another short lived thread.
I understand I am at risk of continuing to crap in it, but I would really like to have an answer to my question, if anyone knows anything about it.

Do any of you knowledgeable folk use shorting adapters on the unused inputs on your highly sensitive equipment?
Smiley

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/07/22 at 10:53:01

I use shorting plugs on all my unused inputs.

There is bleed-over from different inputs. Try changing the input to an unused input while music is playing, then turn up the volume. Chances are you will hear faint music through the speakers. Also, try taking an RCA cable that is plugged into a source that is playing music without plugging in the RCA and hold it close to the selected unused input. Again chances are faint music will come from the speakers.

The linked shorting plugs work fine. I'm currently using them along with shorting plugs I made.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/07/22 at 15:51:19

Thanks, Groovy.

I am glad to know this. I understand the reasoning, but I have not done this yet.

I had already ordered the best gold plated ends PE had available, figuring I could make my own and just try them. They are on backorder.

I kind of already knew this old trick, but was not sure how it applied to modern equipment.

Thanks for the info.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print