Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 20:56:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Building variants of Zstyx (Read 1443 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Building variants of Zstyx
04/02/22 at 14:17:48

Decware's Zstyx were conceived early in Steve's journey when he was a broke audiophile and stumbled on some military grade silver plated wire which he is still selling to date. It may or may not be replaced with new speaker interconnects that he is using in his listening room. It could be used in the new cable scheme? I do not know what the latest is composed of and in no position to guess.

I've always been partial to heavy gauge speaker wires especially with silver plating. Carol cable offered some 14 gauge back at the turn of the century and it was used in my home theater exclusively. Since then the wire was removed and used in various other places at home. Last year it was all pulled and replaced with 12 gauge monster cable because it could be used to make Zstyx clones. When two lengths of the double conductor 14 gauge Carol wire with jacket removed are bundled together it becomes 8 gauge with the same strand count of the Zstyx cable. 4 of these assemblies where built with cotton sleeves and placed in the Chariot's Decware system from the Zkit to Crystal drivers. It improved the sound a couple of notches especially in the lower registries. The cables where just placed randomly on the floor as Steve suggests.

Eventually trying something different, I ran the cables parallel with each bundled strand separated by 1" cotton piping. Strapping it on with needle and thread the entire assembly was covered with 1" cotton mesh tubing. This created a bit of capacitance and more inductance between the two conductors. The sound did not change much. Still on the fence with the results of this cable variant, I am in the process of creating yet a different variant using a 8 conductor braid with Carol's wire.

Pic is of the cabinet interconnects with current configuration.

Starting with finding items to create a new cable pictured below is enough Carol wire to complete one 8' eight gauge speaker cable and 1/8" cotton tube.

The 1/8" cotton tube was chosen because of it's low dielectric constant value. 225' was ordered, more than enough for this project. Only 128' will be need to cover 16 lengths of #14 Carol Silver plated wire creating 2 braided cables with a value of 8 gauge wire. The rest will be used, if this configuration is favorable, to redo the existing cables for the Crystals.

Placing half of the cut tubing into a stainless pan to dye, care must be taken to unroll the length in place with the leading edge on the bottom while maintaining a circular motion stacking the tube until it is unrolled from the spool. This will insure an untangled tube removal after dyeing. A zip tie is added to the end of the tube for ease in retrieval. Dye is then added and prodded with the wood square to ensure complete coverage. Dyeing is not necessary but adding color to the tube aids in the braiding process.

A view of the tubing after about ten minutes of working the dye.

Spooling the dye tubing. Wear latex gloves while retrieving the dyed tubing by working the spool with one hand and keeping the tube between the pointing finger and thumb squeezing the excess dye from the tube as it is being rolled back on the spool.

Hang the tube to dry by stretching to avoid shrinkage of the natural cotton tube.

Now is a good time to remove the PVC jacket from the Carol cable while the tube is drying. I've tried various ways to accomplish this over time but found a heat gun is the best and most efficient. Start by heating the end of the cable and peeling back two inches of the cover creating a lump of material between the two strands. Place the wire strands in a preferably wood jaw vice and grab the clump with a pair of needle nose plyers. Heat the metal wire with the heat gun being carful not to put too much heat on the clump of PVC. Fan the heat gun back and forth from wire to PVC slowly adding pressure by pulling the needle nose. The heated PVC sheath will start to slice like butter with the hot wire. This process will take about 10 minutes for a 8' stretch of cable once the knack is obtained. Care should be taken not to damage any of the very fine strands in each of the 14 gauge strands being a cotton mesh tube is used to insulate the wires in the finished project. This will ensure reliability in the product because if strands are broken the can work thru the cotton mesh creating shorts with use.

The result after a few hours of work and some of the items used.

Treading the bare wire into the cotton tube is made easier by first bunching the cotton on a rod a littler bigger than the diameter of the wire. Grind a channel at the end of the rod to act as a catch for shrink tubing that will bridge the rod and tinned end of wire for the threading process. I used a 30" rod which held enough cotton tube for doing two strands. Simply work the tubing on to the wire with both hands starting with the end closest to the bridge.

When the tubing is worked tight with the wire put shrink tubing on the start end of the assembly and do a final stretch of the tubing working toward the rod and cut the tubing. Repeat. After eight rounds of this there will be enough to do one speaker cable. The mirror only helps the sight here but another hour or so of work will be needed for the other speaker cable strands to be threaded.

I did not have enough banana ends to complete the cables so a temporary 10 gauge copper piece was soldered to the ends.

Braiding went fairly smooth and a bit easier than doing smaller gauge wire.

One done!

Smiley
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Building variants of Zstyx
Reply #1 - 04/03/22 at 23:57:09

Very impressive. Since Steve is kind enough to post the part number for the cable he uses for the Zstyx, I just found a remainder roll online, cut pieces to length, slapped on some bananas and had really great sounding speaker cables in like 5 minutes.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/04/22 at 00:25:05

I'm impressed.
What an effort!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/06/22 at 14:39:13

This effort is worth it! I will elaborate for those who want to give it a try. There is a couple of considerations to think about which is time involved and material composition.

It will take about 10 minutes to remove PVC insulation per eight foot of wire. This equals about 3 hours to remove the insulation. 20 minutes per strand to thread the wire into the cotton tube. 32 strands equals 11 hours. 10 minutes per foot to braid will add another 3 hours. Add another couple of hours to terminate. 20 hours for 2 eight foot finished speaker cables! Add some more time to dye if desired.

The Carol cable that I used was 25 years old and the insulation was becoming hardened as compared to it's supple condition when new. It softened easily with the heat gun. Any wire with Teflon insulation will be much harder to remove and require more heat. Be careful of resorting to flame heat because smoky flumes can be toxic. Use common sense and play it safe by buying already made braided speaker cable.

I used a roller stand base with a clampable vise and light as an apparatus for braiding. Start with four red strands evenly tied together with shrink tubing.

Braid the red strands about 6".

Add the remaining four black strands.

Braid the two braided strands together.

Separate the colors about 6" at the other end and finish it up with braiding each.
I ended up with a longer black braid on both my cables. Also, one cable was a full 6" longer than the other. Cause of this? One braid was cinched tighter than the other. The best way to avoid this, I think, is by braiding both cables at the same setting. Mine were done on different days. Care was taken to make sure all strands were the same length when cut. The different finished lengths prompted me to weigh the cables. There was just a 3 gram difference between the 15.8 ounce cables. Most likely would have been closer if I precut all the shrink tubing, copper terminations, and careful even soldering.
The braids can be relaxed with ease though by bunching the cable together. Simply grab the cable with both hands about a foot apart an push each hand toward the other working the length of the cable. The open resistance can be adjusted to match by doing this. The first cable measured 4.2 meg ohms from 2.5 meg ohms with some bunching. I could not get a capacitance reading on this cable with my Radio Shack meter. The second cable did show 6 picofarad and 1.8 meg ohms at first. Not sure if any of this matters with the sound but the sound is impressive!

These cables were built for the Zkit/Tiny Radial office system. I tried them on the Chariot system and will be acquiring new speaker cables for that system with this geometry.
The sound? More defined base with greater punch. Vocals up another notch of intelligibility. Improvements in presence and detail. A bit hard and antilytic which could be either caused by cable work requiring break-in time or exposure of a weak link in the system.

Smiley
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
tomtomlison
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/07/23 at 08:28:49

thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print