Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 19:28:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Building the Tiny Radials (Read 3124 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Building the Tiny Radials
03/27/22 at 11:26:20

I just completed a SE84 clone for the Charoit. The Zkit1 has moved to the office. There was a plan to build Tiny Radials for the Zkit office system but, always a but!, after ordering Tang Band's from Parts Express and watching that order being delayed because of supply issues several times I ended up on an option bonanza.

Steve posted TRs were available on the Tiny Radial site. There was a nice little oak pair there that swayed me to push the buy button thinking of cancelling my PE order. Before that cancelation took place and in a matter of hours a Zrock2 with copper signal caps became available. A PM was sent and a deal struck in short order. Now this put me well over my budget this year on audio purchases with the TR order. I was torn but knew that I would have to place a call to Decware in the morning to cancel.

Last week Parts Express sent another email stating the TRs were delayed again! I was ready to throw in the towel and cancel that order and just use the NEC speakers as monitors for the Zkit. The old little oval speakers sound good with the amp so it will do. Then!! PE sent another e-mail with tracking information of a shipment. Must be the TRs!
The drivers arrived Wednesday and plans were ordered on Friday.

It took me yesterday morning to browse around the shop finding enough material, form a plan, and cut parts. It was lunchtime at this point.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Building the Tiny Radials
Reply #1 - 03/27/22 at 11:59:46

This is what was accomplished yesterday Smiley Panels ended up 5/16" thick as compared to Steve's 1/4".

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/27/22 at 14:40:37

Break time Smiley Found all parts needed to complete this project.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/27/22 at 17:21:32

Fitting for the drivers.

Looks like everything is going to fit. Few more holes to drill.

Lunchtime⁴ Smiley

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/27/22 at 23:12:35

Smiley

John

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/28/22 at 00:46:17

Nice work John.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/28/22 at 12:32:28

The Tiny Radials have landed. The positioning shown in the pic is the best so far for the TRs. I remember Steve said in the development tread that arms length was the best for the TRs. He is absolutely correct. At arms lenght the TRs take on a lot of the qualities capable of a SE84. Bass shy of course but audio nivara is at hand. Hats off to Steve for creating these little gems!

John

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 03/29/22 at 03:45:00

Very cool John. They look great! Smiley

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/29/22 at 15:35:58

Thanks Lon and Geno for the kind words.

So, I did some room treatment of the office with pillows. The TRs were also raised a bit offsetting the drafting table incline. The sound bouncing from the lcd monitors did not play well with the TangBands and a questionable DAC. Placing the front pads onto the oak curb on the table reduced the sound bouching off the upper monitor. The TRs project an excellent sound and  stage when the body of the speaker is kept at the same plane as the ears. I don't plan on keeping pillows or treat the office but just wanted to play around with my new toy Wink Probably will upgrade the USB DAC...anyone got a good one laying around that needs a good home? Smiley

The 45 degree angle cuts on the side panels could have been better. Made a stupid error not to use my eye glasses when setting the table saw by not looking at the gauge and using just the 45 degree stop. Still after a few more sandings and finish coats the corners will mend nicely. Trick is not to tack clean the corners after sanding and apply another sealer coat. Repeat until it looks good.

John

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/29/22 at 18:52:46

That's a really nice build.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/29/22 at 19:35:20

Wow! Very nice, John. Beautiful work!

Turning a bit green over here.

Your story sounds a bit like some of mine, but you seemed to get this done in "BLAST" time. I applaud your results.

Now I want to build those, too!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/30/22 at 11:34:32

Thanks guys!
DirtDawg, when things fell together for this one, a quick look at the weather pushed me to create a deadline. Gave it a weekends time. Usally not the case since retiring.
Hope your arm gets back in shape soon and your shop back and running. I remember three months ago not being able to get a glass off the shelf in the kitchen after a good wipeout on ice with the bike giving my right shoulder a violent knock. We old timers take a wee bit longer to heal!  
I've spent about a year patching my shop back together. Ended up with a 1983 shopsmith with all the fixens. Took a little time to adjust but works very well. It is great to get an idea, form a plan, and have-at-it down in shopland.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/30/22 at 13:25:29

Quote:
It is great to get an idea, form a plan, and have-at-it down in shopland.

My attitude and mind-set on this one was quick n dirty when walking into the shop with the plans Saturday morning.
Spotting two left over 7/8" wild grain oak pieces from desktop projects for my daughter and son-in-law, I could not find anymore after a thorough search. There is plenty of red oak in the shop but this particular grain seemed right for the TRs. The pieces were not enough to make the sides without resawing. Something that was not going to happen as a quick n dirty build. All that would be required is compounded cuts with the table saw after the side panels lenght was cut. No staves or routing would be required. There are plenty of ways to get the TBs fitted into a thick sided TR available in the shop. The audio gods had their way this time when the bandsaw was pulled to resaw and staves cut!
Another key word would be flexiblabilty which can be hard to be at times. Seems more time was being wasted by looking for a shortcut to bypass the way it was intended to be constructed then the actual time to do it as drawn.
Smiley
John

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/30/22 at 16:19:46

JBzen wrote on 03/30/22 at 13:25:29:
Seems more time was being wasted by looking for a shortcut to bypass the way it was intended to be constructed then the actual time to do it as drawn.
Smiley
John

... and yet another parallel.
Smiley

Things are coming together for me, though. No short cut for what I need
to muscle (and ZEN my way) through.
Sure looks like your shoulder is dependable again.

Very nice choice of wood on your project as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print