Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:58:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Altec 604c's in open baffle DIY (Read 2551 times)
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Altec 604c's in open baffle DIY
02/28/22 at 14:28:13

Hello everyone.  I purchased a pair of Altec 604c (duplex coaxial) and was wondering if it would be a good idea to try the open baffle concept for these.  

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: Altec 604c's in open baffle DIY
Reply #1 - 03/01/22 at 12:54:19

604s of any era are pretty awesome speakers, but the design of the beasts is not the same as what normally works well in open baffle type applications.

A quick search on the net, I could find a set of T/S parameters which help to understand the design and workings of drivers but, similarly designed Altecs I own are meant to be used with a ported or horn loaded cabinet almost exclusively.

A spec of relatively high Qts is usually more desirable for open baffle use. Somewhere in the range above .5 seems to work well.

The published info I found for various Altec products on the Lansing Heritage site shows the 604s of various configurations as having Qts of  .21 to .27.  
In simple terms, that usually means they need an enclosure.

The drivers which often excel in an open baffle design tend to show a Qts in the .7 range.  Lighter cones, smaller magnets, highly efficient, compliant suspensions, etc.

However, YOU HAVE THEM!  So I might try it to hear what they sound like, just for my own satisfaction.
I have done so in the past with similarly built drivers from JBL and Altec (although JBL does not offer a Duplex design) and always found them, to sound amazing for midrange, BUT the bass rolls off  like 8 to 12 dB below about 500Hz.
While there is nothing wrong with a 15" midrange/upper range driver that can maybe reach 200Hz with authority, you would not be getting the full capacity of these drivers in an open baffle, in my opinion.

Equalization might seem to help that massive roll off of low tones, but EQ introduces other issues which kind of defeat the crystal pure clarity of open baffle designs.

It is hard to beat the sound a single point source like the 604 designs can produce, though.

Hoping others will chime in for you since I seem to have given you too many answers.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/01/22 at 12:59:04

Sorry,, NOT the Lansing Heritage site, but The Unofficial ...
Anyway, I forgot to identify the page to which I made reference:

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/Thiele-Small.html

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/01/22 at 16:44:27

Dirtdawg,
Thanks for that!  I did see the QT was low and saw some convos about using them in an O/B config but not a whole of experience out there.  I do agree that these are best in a cabinet so I will have to find some or have somebody build them.  They tend to get bulky.  I got lucky and found these along with 601C that are in cabinets that are in fair condition for a great price locally and they sound great!  I still have the original crossovers and that will be another quest to eventually replace.  
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/01/22 at 19:39:14

I would try them, knowing a subwoofer will be necessary for the lower octaves.

No problem. Lots of discussions about open baffle subwoofer designs right here on this forum.

I'm a little jealous. Heard them many times, but never owned a set of 604s.

Oh, if you study that page I linked, there are Altecs with suitable characteristics to perform well as open baffle or even infinite baffle drivers, but those are all designed as ceiling or industrial speakers.
I do have some JBLs that have a tweet built in but nothing like a center mounted multicell horn as your Altecs do.

My Coaxial JBLs have a center paper cone piezo operated tweet. Probably OK in a ten story office building, but I can't tolerate piezo for very long at all. Grin

Please, post your thoughts as you explore all your new finds!!

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/01/22 at 19:54:57

Are these not the mid/high units from the fabled Big Red studio monitors? The ones I know had a 15” for bass side by each in an infinite baffle.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/01/22 at 21:47:24

DirtDawg,
Many thanks!  I might try and experiment with O/B setup sometime in the future.  I do have a pair of Randy's Lii 15 O/Bs so I know how they can sound currently paired with Rel T7.
EdwardT,
The Big Red's do have 604Es as I understand it.  
These 601Cs and 604Cs were made in the 40s and 50s.  The 601Cs are paired with my UFO25th and very happy with what my ears are hearing.
Hard to believe they sound this great and in good shape!

Bob

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/04/22 at 22:34:57

Ah! Very good, so you are already an OB guy.

Sorry for giving you info you already knew, but I tend to be gentle with people asking such questions. We want you in our fold. :^)

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/05/22 at 02:38:20

DirtDawg, I appreciate any info that anyone can provide.  That is how I learn.  Keep on sharing!  Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print