Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 02:34:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I Ordered an SE84UFO25, But I Already Have A Torii (Read 1513 times)
drumsbanger
Verified Member

I Ordered an SE84UFO25, But I Already Have A Torii
02/26/22 at 19:32:43

Hello, this is my first post, but I've had a Torii MK IV for almost four years, paired with DNA2 speakers, and I love the system. Everyone raves about the SE84UFO25, but I've had trouble wrapping my mind around topping out at 2 watts per channel. I have another set of speakers; Klipsch Forte IIIs, which are rated at 99dB sensitivity. Is the SE84UFO25 that much better than the Torii MK IV, but just different? I've been thinking about finishing off a room in my basement for a listening room, so one amp would be in that system, and the other would be in my living room, which is where the Torii is now. Until the listening room is finished (yet to be started), I would be switching between the two amps on the DNA2s. Will I want to go back to the Torii after hearing the SE84UFO25?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: I Ordered an SE84UFO25, But I Already Have A Torii
Reply #1 - 02/26/22 at 19:41:59

You are going to get differing answers I think, and really only YOU will have the right answer.

I think power-wise, unless you are trying to duplicate orchestral climaxes or stadium rock realistically in your room(s) the UFO25 should have enough power with those speakers.

I have never heard a Mk IV but I had a Mk II and two Mk IIIs for a number of years. I now have instead SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary mods. I personally prefer the sound of the Monoblocks to that of the Torii amps I had. There is just something more organic and natural about the sound, more realistic. It's close though, and I know others might or do prefer the push-pull sound. I started out with Decware with th 27th 2 watt amp Steve built, then moved to a Select, then to a pair of EL34 Monoblocks he no longer builds, then a "Rachel" and then to the Torii amps. But I really felt a nostalgia for the Zen amp sound, and got a Taboo Mk IV and then these Monoblocks. . . and I won't go back if I don't have to.

If you have a UFO25 on order. . . well you have a lot of time, too much time, to think about it. I'd let the order ride and listen and see if you will prefer the Torii. If you do, you can return the UFO25 or more likely sell it for exactly what you have into it. It's hard to see how you will lose, and if you are going to have two systems, you may well have a place for both Decware amps.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
drumsbanger
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/27/22 at 21:46:23

Thanks, Lon. I don't think I mentioned, I also have a ZRock2 on order, with all the fixin's. I ordered that on Black Friday, so that should be here a few months before the SE84UFO25.  I've read through most of the posts on the "thoughts and impressions" thread about the SE84UFO25. A lot talked about how they heard "presences" in the room, and audio halograms, and I fear that I will never hear that, nor have I ever heard it. I don't think there is a room in my house where I can pull the speakers out four to six feet from any wall, per Steve's suggestion, and keep it as a living space. Even in the prospective listening room, I won't have enough room to do that. I tried keeping the DNA2s a couple of feet out from the wall in my living room, and the wife complained. Now, they're only about a foot out. That kind of setup just isn't possible in my living room. After all the raves about the SE84UFO25, I'm definitely keeping the order. My curiosity has definitely been piqued. The Torii really wows me, so I'm sure the SE84UFO25 will be more of an experience. I listen to a lot of classic jazz on the Torii, and some of those recordings from the late '50s and early '60s sound so organic, and beautiful.

My other concern is that, can my ears hear a difference? I have been playing drums for nearly 40 years, in bands, on stage, and in the studio. My hearing isn't what it used to be, lol. I can remember when I was a kid, being able to hear my parents' Zenith TV console's flyback transformer that was downstairs, when walking upstairs by the stairway. I remember trying to describe this to them, but they had no idea of what I was talking about. I wish I had discovered hi fidelity tube amps when I was much younger, and could probably appreciate them even more.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/28/22 at 00:15:14

A few additional thoughts after your post.

Are you sure our wives aren't related? Wink I have the same issues, and for a while I could move my speakers out for listening and then put them back afterwards, but then a compulsory (not compelled by me!) re-arranging made that rather impractical and in both systems I have my HR-1 speakers about a foot away from walls and. . . I still get quite a bit of that soundstage magic and more from the Monoblocks with the Mods than I had with the Toriis.

As for the hearing. . . I've been a drummer too, something we share with Steve, and I've been lucky, each time I have my ears tested they are better than I thought they would be. I do have a noted problem with treble frequencies, not that I don't hear them but that I perhaps over-hear them, and my entire journey has been to find the best reproduction of these in my rooms. The ZROCK2 has been a fantastic tool in that regard, so having one on order is a good move! I bet you hear more than you might imagine between the two amps and a ZROCK2.

You'll be in a neat position to hear both amps with the ZROCK2 and even with the amp and EQ device brand new you'll hear their character and be able to make a great comparison between them all. May the time pass quickly, happy listening.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print