Schumann Resonance
02/26/22 at 03:23:35

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Schumann Resonance
Reply #1 - 02/26/22 at 20:20:48

Hey Funch.

I have not tried the resonator you linked, but have enjoyed using one, then two SR (Schumann Resonance) Plugs from Kemp Elektroniks. At the moment, looking around, I could not find them though, making me wonder if they are redoing them, or have stopped making them???

Reasons I like these, they have an intensity adjustment, I believe running 7.83 Hz at various intensities until wide open when it integrates the harmonics of 7.83. I like the latter health wise, and maybe for sound, but here, I have not been able to love it turned all the way up, so can't really comment on wide open.

The other thing I like about this unit is that is has a wire antenna. It is maybe 8-9 feet long (???) and can be placed for optimal sound, the adjustable location of the emanating field nice for tuning in the best sound in a given room/setting.

I have mine toward the front of a teak cabinet that holds my gear, one wire running down each side a little back from the cabinet face. In my early experiments that setup was better here than the original suggestion of, if using a single SR Plug, running the antenna up or down the front wall centered between the speakers...or with two... still on the front wall, and the pair centered, but the two wires spaced apart by sound.

I have not adjusted or experimented with other placement or intensities for many years, but as I recall, as I raised the intensity, first it clarifies everything a bit, increasing density and articulation, like it is subtly improving all room smearing top to bottom, which in turn also improved soundstage saturation and space some. Then with more intensity, I heard more fine information, less hard density. Finally, at some point, at least here, it started sounding too diffused. My fav seemed to be going just into too diffused, and then backing it off until it solidifies just enough to feel "real," while still bringing out space and subtler harmonic information that to me is critical for  "real" sound.

Hard to say how subtle is subtle, or how powerful is powerful in other's system/rooms, but here, I would say this is not necessarily profound in its power to shape the sound, but meaningful enough that I bought a second one once they went on sale again.... and I have not thought about taking them out so far, maybe 10-12 years later. I am pretty serious about very subtle harmonics and space though, textures, decays, spacial information between players, edges relaxed by complexity, and at the time I installed these, they helped with all of that, as well as improved note articulation top to bottom. Now my system and room are way better though, so I should experiment with the resonators again. I suspect I will still find them better to have than not though.

A lot of these out there these days it seems, and I don't know which are better for sound, nor do I have any experience with a single unit without adjustment or antennas, but this one looks like a pretty real effort for sound... and though I suspect placement might prove pretty important, based on my limited experience, it may be worth some experiments if you can return it.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print