Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 21:16:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: Torii Jr and SE84UFO (Read 2570 times)
drD
Verified Member

Re: Torii Jr and SE84UFO
02/19/22 at 01:11:55

Pink Floyd said..... Is there anybody out there?

IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #1 - 02/19/22 at 22:07:29

Mine is on order  about 500 in front of me

Questions I have are about using a pre amp in front of Tori Jr

I have a MiniDSP SHD which is a streamer, Dac, preamp  RCA output is the typical 2 volts, from what I hear the amps like a hotter signal

It would be interesting to see what real world experience is

I have on order a Schit Freya S  ( non tube )  RCA out can go up to 12 volts

CD's Digitized via Exact Copy
Music Files read by Audirvana Studio
on Win10 PC
Sent to Pontus 2 12th -1 via USB
out XLR to Schiit Frya S PreAmp
Torii Jr V2
to fully updated 1987 La Scala's
  IP Logged
drD
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/20/22 at 20:47:05

I have a Schiit SYS which is passive and retains the original sound of whatever your amp is. That expensive digital one you mention would make me uneasy because I would wonder if it is altering the sound of your Torii. I would think the reason one would want a Torii in the first place is because of the way it sounds, so it would seem to me that if you were using that digital device as a preamp would defeat the purpose of a Torii unless there's something you must know.

I'm just amazed though there are no Torii Jr owners who have never compared their Torii to a single ended triode. You would think someone would have something to say.

BTW, I had the Schiit Freya Plus which has passive, solid state and tube mode. I would never add a solid state preamp to a tube amp like the Torii Jr. That's basically killing the tube sound. The Freya in tube mode is very bright and analytical sounding. I would not describe it anything like warm and lush. The direction companies go with tubes these days is brightness and ultra detail but it can wear on the ears after a while IMO.

I mostly listen to mild jazz, so the little Zen triode tends to have a sweeter, smoother sound. The main reason I had questions on the Torii Jr is because I'm trying to drive my open baffles in parallel with the same sound signature as the little Zen but with more power. The newer version of the Torii Jr appears to be more in that direction, but nobody has spoken to help confirm that. It is a push, pull but my understanding is that it has 2nd order harmonics which is why I'm so curios now. In theory, I would think this would give it a cleaner, tighter sound but I just don't know. I've never heard a newer Torii Jr before.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/20/22 at 21:22:31

I can't help, I've never had a Torii Jr. I've had Torii Mk II and Toriis Mk III and now have both a Taboo Mk IV and a pair of SE84UFO3 Monoblocks.

I personally, categorically prefer the sound of the smaller watt Zen amps. It just sounds more natural and refined to me. . . . Luckily I get by with my HR-1s without any additional power, because I would not want to lose the sound I have now.

The Torii Jr. may be quite different than the Zen amps, I have no way of knowing. In your shoes I would probably be thinking about another Zen map and running both in mono, one per channel of your source.

And every Decware amp I've owned has benefitted from a Decware preamp in front of it, giving it more body and depth.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #4 - 02/21/22 at 02:54:18

@drD

My MiniDSP SHD is an all digital piece, so my thinking was to keep the digital signal going  to another digital item then to the Tube  Torii Jr. so the only tube sound was from the Tori Jr

The reason I choose the Tori Jr was that my room is 17X 20 with 10 ft walls that  then goes up to 14 ft via a half tube ceiling, so I have a lot of cubic volume  to pressurize

So that is how I saw it  ???????   one makes a lot of assumptions on their journey in HIFI Smiley

CD's Digitized via Exact Copy
Music Files read by Audirvana Studio
on Win10 PC
Sent to Pontus 2 12th -1 via USB
out XLR to Schiit Frya S PreAmp
Torii Jr V2
to fully updated 1987 La Scala's
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/21/22 at 03:17:58

drD wrote on 02/20/22 at 20:47:05:
I have a Schiit SYS which is passive and retains the original sound of whatever your amp is.

I would never add a solid state preamp to a tube amp like the Torii Jr. That's basically killing the tube sound.  

The first statement is debatable, passives can have issues in certain pairings.

I know a number of people that would disagree with the second statement.

IP Logged
drD
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 02/24/22 at 03:05:26

Hi Lin, the Schiit SYS is only a $49 device but I’ve tested it with all my tube amps with extreme scrutiny. The main reason I did this is because my ST-70 does not have an attenuator. With KT88 tubes this amp has a very bright, open sound and may be too bright for many. The brightness or colored tube sound goes up even more so with all my tube preamplifiers. There’s also a very common floor noise because the gain on the ST-70 can not be attenuated. To fix this, I use the SYS to attenuate the floor noise with my speakers which are very sensitive. Tube amps pick up all sorts of noises and is super common.

The SYS in no way shape or form alters the sound signature. Any change of sound is a placebo effect as far as I’m concerned. Since the ST-70 still sounds brighter with all my tube preamps, I decided to use the Schiit SYS as the ST70’s primary preamp. The results of this inexpensive $49 passive preamp outperform all my tube preamps costing as much as $1800 because it reduces the additional brightness that the tube preamps add. So what’s really happening is it is allowing the original sound signature of the ST70 on its own to play through which rolls it off better.

Solid state preamps are solid state and will add their own sound signature unlike a SYS which allows the original source to sound faithful, even tubes. You guys can add whatever you like, but solid state will never produce the the spatial separation tubes can and that’s a fact. The only solid states I’ve tested to date that sound indistinguishable from the finest tube amps are the Nelson Pass single ended First Watt solid state amplifiers which require sensitive speakers. Most of the solid state gear otherwise kills that beautiful spatial separation of the instruments being played which I have no doubt a Torii Jr. produces. This is why I absolutely can’t stand listening to solid state unless it’s for rock music. All I’m saying is why buy and integrated amplifier like a Torii Jr only to put a solid sate preamp in front of it. You guys can do whatever you like, but IMO, it’s like buying a Mclaren F1 and stuffing towels into the air intake so it can’t breath.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 02/24/22 at 12:25:59

Hi drD.

I have a couple of early SS Sansui amps that just might sway your opinion on this a bit.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
drD
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/24/22 at 15:11:48

Geno, thank you for sharing that. I’m open to your thoughts. You have my curiosity to research this preamp. I’d sure love to hear a solid state as good as you mention. I must say the First Watts are remarkable. We are working with an F3 SIT3 and F6 currently.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print