04/19/24 at 12:02:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help with setup (Read 2694 times)
Bob Loblaw
Verified Member

help with setup
02/17/22 at 01:50:05

Fellow music lovers… I am waiting on a Zen Triode and Forte IV’s and I am doing homework on a quality turntable which would give me a nice setup for listening to vinyl.

Where I am getting a little confused is other ways I can incorporate this core of equipment into the rest of my living room.  If I want to stream HD audio somewhere like Qobuz (from a laptop), what do I need and is it possible to use with the Triode/ForteIV combo.  Is it possible to use the speakers as the audio for my TV if I incorporated a receiver or something and if so would doing this compromise the quality of the sound compared to running the Triode/ForteIV/turntable alone?  Do I need to consider a preamp for any of these purposes?  I'm wondering if my options for these additional uses is limited due to the low power of the triode and if they are, whether there are workarounds.

Grateful for any advice on these issues!

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: help with setup
Reply #1 - 02/17/22 at 03:42:57

You need a streamer and a digital to analogue converter. These are often separate items, but at least one - the Cambridge, is both in one component.
Yes, these things are compatible with your amp and speaker. I do not remember how many input jacks are on your model of amplifier. You may need to choose either to add a switching box, or else unplug the phono amp when you want to listen to streamed music.

You need a phonograph preamp between the record player and the main amplifier - your Decware Zen.

Welcome to the forum Bob. I hope residents more knowledgeable than me will help with your questions.  
Brian

IP Logged
OKNOTOK
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/17/22 at 06:48:34

Hi Bob, welcome!

To connect your TV depends on the outputs of the TV, however most TV's have a Toslink optical output which you can connect to your DAC or Streamer+DAC. Toslink is the best choice in this case so you don't introduce a ground loop or (electrical) noise from the TV into your audio chain. Most DACs have Toslink/Optical input but a Streamer+DAC may not.

Hope this helps,
Richard.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/17/22 at 10:44:11

Hi Bob and welcome.

Along with Brian and Richard advice, if you want to keep things simple with minimal additional equipment, find a turntable with a pre stage of 1.5v or better output, make sure your triode has two inputs(I believe Decware will add an input to any if requested), and add the Cambridge CXVN2 streamer that will give many options of incorporating additional audio sources you are thinking of adding. This will maintain the integrity of the vinyl and a flip of a switch will bring in a slightly degraded audio experience from the other sources. But, there is a mod available that can be done for the Cambridge from Modwright that will bring those sources up to par with the vinyl loop.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Bob Loblaw
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/17/22 at 17:01:07

Thank you all for your input and time! I will look into this information and report back.  I may have a few follow up questions but this should set me on the right path.  Thanks again!

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/07/22 at 14:22:53

Hi, Bob, good to see you here.
Having another setting up a system with lots of questions is only going to benefit all of us as responses from the  "seasoned heads"  build.

I don't presume to know what your audio realm might be, but you seem to have a great deal of knowledge already, so please continue to post your findings as you get things sorted the way you want.

We will all learn from your endeavers.
Smiley

IP Logged
JMeader

Reply #6 - 03/07/22 at 18:17:39

Another Combo Streamer option is the MiniDSP SHD  with or without a DAC

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-series

typical connections plus ability to accept a network connection

I use Audirvana Studio ( on separate PC )connected to MiniDSP SHD via network  out to preamp or amp via RCA or XLR

Lots of options, no added noise on my system  :)

CD's Digitized via Exact Copy
Music Files read by Audirvana Studio
on Win10 PC
Sent to Pontus 2 12th -1 via USB
out XLR to Schiit Frya S PreAmp
Torii Jr V2
to fully updated 1987 La Scala's
  IP Logged
Bob Loblaw
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 03/07/22 at 23:20:32

Thank you again everyone for your input and time!   Since my original message, the Forte IVs arrived, I got a TubeCube 7 to use while waiting for my Zen Triode order is being processed, and I took the advice of getting the Cambridge CXVN2 streamer (hardwired to router).  Hooked up the TV to the streamer via TOSlink optical and that is working really nicely as is the music streaming.

Next on the list is to do more homework on a turntable/preamp and go from there.

One question is how important the quality of the RCA cable going from the streamer to the amp is?  I just picked up the amazon basics version of the appropriate length.

Thanks again everyone, really blown away at how much great input I've received and I could not be happier with my set up so far!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/08/22 at 11:24:25

RCA patch cords can bring out the most that the equipment patched has to offer. The best patch cords carry the signal with minimum degradation while keeping external Interferences out. If you are happy now with the Amazon Basics don't sweat it. Once you get Decware's amp and settle on a turntable/pre opt for Decwares new reference silver interconnects. Then you have the option to switch the cable on the other feed to see if it makes a positive difference.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
SoCalBill
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 03/09/22 at 02:12:00

For cables - I'll toss out Blue Jeans Cable... hard to beat the quality for that price point. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/
In terms of turntable - keep in mind the cost of a quality cartridge... I would suggest putting more money toward the turntable as a cartridge can be upgraded. I'm a fan of the VPI Scout and Prime, but some prefer a more automatic route. As for a phono stage - I run a Schiit Mani 2 and it is "good", but I have a ZP3 on order and am looking forward toward that upgrade.
Lastly component placement is critical - I try to have the phono preamp as close to the turntable and yet away from any transformers. You might want to take sometime and look into a rack or where things where "live"... you don't want to get all this nice gear and have a feedback loop.

Schiit Aegir | Schiit Freya + | Schiit Mani 2 | Schiit Lokius | Cambridge CXN2 | VPI Prime 21 | Ortofon 2m Black LVB 250 | Forte 3's | Blue jeans cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print