Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 05:15:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where are all the Torii mkV reviews? (Read 3964 times)
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Where are all the Torii mkV reviews?
02/16/22 at 23:19:18

I know some of you cats have been running this new beauty, let's hear how you like it! And maybe see some pics!

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Re: Where are all the Torii mkV reviews?
Reply #1 - 02/16/22 at 23:54:39

I've also been checking the Thomas & Stereo Youtube channel everyday, I know he has one in his possession.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/17/22 at 01:36:16

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll start checking also!

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/31/22 at 14:16:08

I still haven't found any MKV reviews. Has anyone else found some that I'm missing? I'm dying to get some feedback on the new design!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 04/01/22 at 21:44:16

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/02/22 at 14:42:15

For the Mark 5?

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/23/22 at 10:20:49

Take a look at the list and compare total number of push-pull orders to SET orders.

(Throws Molotov cocktail as usual) I feel honored to have discovered Decware. Choose PP over SET? From Steve Deckert? Really?

(Ignites second Molotov, lights self on fire) The MKV is in its 5th iteration. How many iterations have there been for the UFO25? I "get" the MKV, it is the pursuit of a solution to a problem I'll never have because I'll never consider a speaker with less than 90dB sensitivity.

Having as yet heard neither amp (my first order was for a Torii JR until I face-palmed back to SET, because DECware) I am just inferring here. Had the grooves in my mind run toward being afraid to just give it up to SET in preference to being seduced by more power, I'd be arguing for the MKV I'm sure.

It's a purist, or purism, thing I guess. You come to Decware and choose PP? For the only amp you'll ever precure? No. No, I do not think so.

"B-but Steve says he found a way to make PP sound like SET!" How about choosing SET if you want SET sound?

(expires of burns)

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/23/22 at 16:59:20

Having the SET-like sound AND some extra power is not a matter of seduction....it is a necessity as far as I'm concerned. Its about the headroom required for the kind of music that demands it.....the transients in symphonic classical, for example which I happen to listen to alot.

The MK 5 is also about incredible tuneability....it's off the charts [as is the Torii series].

I also chose it because its voiced for single driver speakers, which I have.

I already went thru a SEP amp in a Taboo MK 4....GREAT for headphones and not as great for speakers....3.2w too low power and and still not immersive enough in the end, and that's with a Zrock2-25th and a subwoofer and a CSP3 25th anniversary edition {at the time, since has been sold] in a small room. Just my opinion. The low power even with single driver 95db speakers didn't cut the mustard in terms of my ears and goals.

Now I can't really actually compare a Taboo with a SEA84UFO, as I never heard the SEA84UFO, so there's that.

There's an amp[s] for everyone here.

IP Logged
Sb66er
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/23/22 at 18:46:28

I think Piezoman put it well. I sat at DecFest last October and listened to the UFO25, have listened to it quite a bit at my brother-in-law's house over the last 9 months, even took my speakers to his house to hear it.

It wasn't until, at DecFect, that the Torii MK5 was hooked up did a smile come across my face. For me, the music I like, the sound I desire, a UFO25, or several of them could never outperform the MK5. Don't get me wrong, the SET sounds wonderful, it just cannot do on my 99 dB speakers what I want.  So, does going to Decware for a push-pull make sense, "hell yes!"

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/23/22 at 20:09:01

Sb66er makes a great point.

I've been following Steve's design posts since the ZMA and every time I feel like I should ditch what I have and buy his latest "face melting" amp.  He's a proud parent and can't be blamed for his enthusiasm but individual needs need to be determined so we really end up with what suites us best.  (I still love my ZMA!)

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/23/22 at 20:30:48

Piezoman,

What's your plan for tubes with your Torii MK5? In the last 12 months i'm sure you spent some time thinking about it. If you don't mind sharing your thoughts.

Thanks

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/23/22 at 22:00:21

Questioning why one would buy an amplifier that Steve has spent years developing, refining, and improving (the torii) negates a large swath of his legacy. He's developed different amps for different applications, different speakers, and different types of dynamics. In addition to the MKV's inherent characteristics, knowing that fewer people have purchased it makes me want it even more, rather than less. Call it my contrary nature, marching to my own beat (with Decware, it would be marching to a sub-beat within an already unique time signature), or desiring something few people have, but opposing the crowd has never been a problem for me.

Personally, I feel like the MKV is pretty perfect. At least, on paper!

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." -Wilde

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/23/22 at 23:53:59

Quote:
Reply #10 - Today at 15:30:48  
Piezoman,

What's your plan for tubes with your Torii MK5? In the last 12 months i'm sure you spent some time thinking about it. If you don't mind sharing your thoughts.

Sure! My plan is to outfit the entire MK 5 with Wathen Cryotone, the exception possibly for the power tubes.

I've already outfitted the entire CSP3 and the Zrock2 with Wathen.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/24/22 at 00:00:11

Quote:
(I still love my ZMA!)

I would too, that would have been the amp I bought after the Taboo crisis......the only impediment was the total cost.

No doubt that its more than worth it Smiley

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/24/22 at 03:33:44

Just look at the cost as $/minute and it's super cheap!   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print