Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:14:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MKIV 25th First impressions (Read 3402 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Torii MKIV 25th First impressions
05/05/21 at 04:50:12

Been thinking for a few days now on how to approach this review. I find it a bit difficult because I am so amazed on many levels, that I don’t know where to start.....so I am just going to put the pen to the paper and see where it takes me.

First off  I’ve been a part of the Decware community for over seven years now.  It has been quite a journey during this time and I want to thanks Steve, the entire Decware team, and all the forum members for their help and assistance.  Over the years I have acquired several pieces of Decware equipment starting with the Z stage, the ERR speakers, ZSB, and the DAG cables.  They have all served my solid state system very well over the years.  

Fast forward to 3 years ago when I attended my first Decfest. This was the biggest impact on my musical journey thus far.  It was nothing short of a jaw dropping experience that solidified my commitment  to the Decware brand.  I landed on the Torii after a long consideration with the decision making of pairing the right amp with my speakers, while taking into account my room size, acoustics, and the flexibility of having an amp that could drive most speakers with the allowance of headroom.

Day 1:
I connected my speakers, DHC-1, and fired up the amp without hooking up the interconnects...there was near dead silence.  For this listening session,  I decided to run the amp without my ZSTAGE to get a feel for the amp by itself.   As I started to play some music, one thing that was immediately noticeable was the sound at low volume levels.   All the detail, clarity, and microphonics at a lower volume level were there...which I never heard on my solid state at those levels.  

Now I decided to go through my entire catalog like a kid to just have some fun.  First I started with Jazz music and I was truly enamored by the sound.  A veil was lifted and I was now able to pickup nuances in the recordings that I was never able to discern before.  My non audiophile wife was really enjoying the sound as well to where she started throwing out requests.  

Next I decided to play some female vocals with anticipation.  Diana Krall and Billie Holiday sounded so much more realistic.  Next I threw up Clare Teal’s “California Dreamin’ “and this was where the amp truly blew my mind...talk about black backgrounds in her opening verse.  Steve talks about this in the amp description and he wasn’t kidding.  Dead silence!!  

Next up was Opera and I had to play one of my favorite songs “The Prayer” from Andrea Bocelli.  My amp and DAC were now warmed up, so it was time to flex the amp and turn up the volume.   I shit you not...the song brought a tear to my eye.  The sound and connection I had at that given moment during that song was transformational.   The power and liveliness in his voice brought on a whole new dimension.  I decided that I can’t be the only one in tearing up....so next up I decided to play my wedding song for my wife....Josh Groban’s “When You Say You Love Me”.   By midway through the song....my wife now started to tear up.  So thank you Steve for creating an amp that caused 2 adults to tear up for the pure enjoyment of the sound of the music.  Even though the amp is not broken in yet...it’s easy to hear how transparent and detailed this amp is by comparison to a SS amp.

Next up was some good old Rock and Roll.  My first choice was CSN’s “Southern Cross” since this is a favorite for both me and my wife.  The soundstage was nice and wide and I was able to detect some open air...maybe even too much at first.  This is where the Torii was a godsend....I just dialed back the treble adjustment on the amp....and it helped.  I then jumped into some Pink Floyd, Rush, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mellencamp, and other favorites.  Being a musician and having played the guitar growing up, this area was particularly important for me to evaluate.  When a system can accurately reproduce music as you know how it should sound from your experience, then you know you have hit a home run.  Hearing the twangs, strings squeaking, strumming, and microphonics on the guitar solos were easily discernible and it’s reproduction was accurate.  Steve talks about how the 25th Anniversay mods work particularly well on the Torii, perhaps better than any other amp in the Decware lineup [according to the Zen Master].  With the caps now juiced up, it makes the amp so fast...well he was not kidding!!  Rock and even some Heavy Metal just crank!!  I can’t wait to order a ZRock in the future, I’m sure it’s stellar!!

Day 2:  I couldn’t hold out any longer… I decided to hook up the ZSTAGE to use it as a preamp.  I then added my ZSB switch box so I could run multiple inputs thus allowing me to enjoy the  Schiit Bifrost 2 for Qobuz and the Audioquest Dragonfly Red for MQA music on Tidal.  Adding the ZSTAGE was a huge leap forward and left me Godsmacked!!  The added gain acted like a fire breathing dragon...everything opened up and became so lifelike.  The added weight  really woke up the Torii....I can only imagine  how it would sound using a CSP3 or a ZTPRE.  

Separately [with and without the ZSTAGE], I noticed that certain songs the bass was a bit flabby, but the adjustability of the Torii  utilizing the  bass cut switch along with the adjustability of the ZSTAGE allowed me to compensate.  I know the bass is the last thing to come in as the amp seasons, so I’m not worried.  

Now that I have a more revealing system, it’s a bit of a double edged sword.  My  solid state amp not only smeared the sound, but also covered up the handicaps. With the Torii...a veil has been lifted to where I can hear more of the recording.  This also allows me to hear the weaker links in my system which are now more noticeable.   Now it’s time to really start to tweak things in my system.  I had acquired a kickass power cable from Will, but its just a little short in my current setup since the amp is setup up on my credenza.  I plan to order the Pi Audio Group DigiBuss II, so then I’ll be able to use the DHC-1 to connect the PI to the wall, and use Will’s custom cable to plug into the Torii.  Something is telling me that I will get Godsmacked all over again!!  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii MKIV 25th First impressions
Reply #1 - 05/05/21 at 06:07:36

Nice Dom! Guessing you won't have to push in order to play it a lot. Cool

After several hundred hours of really good sound, you will get into levels that you know now might be difficult to fully describe, but that feel so beautiful the tears grow even sweeter!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 05/05/21 at 12:39:23

Thanks Will!!  The amp has been up and running for about a week and a half now.  I’ve been playing it for the recommended 5 on/5 off.   On my days off from work, I can get 2 full rounds in with no problem.  Last night at about 1 am, I had some Oscar Peterson playing in the 65 dB range, and out of no where I heard something in the music that caught me off guard and made me turn my head.  I was on the couch and off axis, but it really hit me how magical these amps truly sound.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/05/21 at 13:53:55

Welcome to Steves magic. Brace yourself for more newfound detail!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/05/21 at 14:23:07

What Will said +1. The immersive experience with the Torii will continue to get better, and better, and better...

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 05/06/21 at 05:26:42

Thanks Roger.  I can’t wait to hook up my ERR speakers and hear how the amp drives them.  

Dom

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/06/21 at 12:44:39

Congratulations!

Now that I have a more revealing system, it’s a bit of a double edged sword.  My  solid state amp not only smeared the sound, but also covered up the handicaps. With the Torii...a veil has been lifted to where I can hear more of the recording.  This also allows me to hear the weaker links in my system which are now more noticeable.   Now it’s time to really start to tweak things in my system.

This really hit home for me, "It's so good already, how good can it get? is it possible to get better?" Fortunately, I'm really happy to sit back relax and be transported into the music which is so easy to do with the Torii.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #7 - 05/06/21 at 23:07:59

Groovy sauce.... from what I have been told, there is a noticeable difference after like the 200-300 hour mark.  It’s so good out of box, so I can’t even imagine what to expect.  But I have been picking up subtleties here an there, so I’m excited to hear how the amp opens up.  

Dom

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/07/21 at 22:41:32

Congrats Dom!
Keep the photos coming!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #9 - 05/08/21 at 18:08:31

Thanks Tom!  The next set of photos I will probably post will be in the next two months when I temporary move into my parents house for my renovation.  

Dom

IP Logged
HThiara
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/12/21 at 00:10:14

Greetings from England,
My first post ever.
Can the ZSB used to switch speakers?
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 05/12/21 at 01:28:19

No, that it won't do I'm afraid.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/29/21 at 15:18:55

Dom,

How has the seasoning been going on your Torii?

I got mine back from voltage swap and switch to Miflex Caps. Every day the amp sounds really different, mostly the sound stage. Sometimes it's incredibly deep and narrow. Then it will be the opposite incredibly wide and very shallow. Then it will open up and be mind bending sonic adventure. Next day the sound stage collapses again and I'm left wondering when will it have it all, all the time? I have about 50-70 hours on mine.

Even with the sound stage changing rapidly the tonality is terrific! I love this amp!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/29/21 at 16:01:55

Groove, that is very exciting news! As we know,  it will all come.....somwhere around 300ish hours.

As I'm officially on the wait list, looking for an Oct-Nov delivery. Miflex caps, 25th A mods. Cant wait!

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/29/21 at 16:05:23

Piezoman, I think you're really gonna love that additional power!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 05/29/21 at 16:30:13

Hey Tommy, thanks! Even in a 12x10 room, the Taboo can be a tad thin on a fair amount of recordings.....and thats with the spigot nearly wide open, and the employment of the awesome ZRock2-25th. Its not so much an issue with volume. To my ears, a tad more depth and complexity is desired on more demanding and dense tracks. I like bold impact, with all the delicate tapestry and detail on top. Could I be happy with the Taboo MK 4-25th for life? Yes! Just looking for a bit more, in the bass region.....especially since since single driver speakers are involved, even with a subwoofer [as good as the sub is].  Baroque chamber music, jazz, acoustic, vocals, et al are definitely insanely good right now. But Im greedy......I want even more.

Did some more reading in the Torii MK 4 section, and saw a post regarding the Torii MK 4 and single driver relationship being particularly mind blowing.....I believe Steve agrees.

Also, I just love the idea of the amazing versatility the Torii offers.....the VR tubes, bass switches, variable treble cut, feedback recovery.....and the headroom I'm looking for on terms of power. The listening room I'm in now may not be forever, so the Torii will be right at home on a larger room. Having a treated [finally!] small room, I'm so excited about the possibilities.

I had considered the SEA84UFO 25th, but realized that wouldnt really be getting me anywhere vs. the Taboo in terms of my goals.

Versatility, power & headroom, greater depth and texture, more of everything......its impossible to ignore!

Brad

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/29/21 at 19:37:08

Brad,

There is something different about the Torii MKIV, Once mine has seasoned more I might have some distinctions to speak of.

What cables are you running? I’m again and again I’m surprised how much cables make a difference!  

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/29/21 at 20:23:40

Nigel, really looking forward to your impressions in time! I'm using all Decware DSR ic's right now. I'm wide open to any and all recommendations.

I'm thinking of DIYing my own. Might start with making 3 sets out of an existing EMM Labs pair that was never used  in the current setup.......they made a huge jaw dropping difference in my previous system that was very noticeably less resolving [due to the integrated amp I had]......never made cables before, but thats no reason not to start now.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18 - 05/29/21 at 22:12:02

GroovySauce,

The seasoning is going well.  I’ve been sticking with the  5 hour on and off recommendation by Steve.  I’m probably close to or just over the 100 hour mark, and it’s starting to play head games with me.  Like yourself....the soundstage is what changes the most.   Some days I get a nice wide soundstage, and other days its a bit narrow.  Tonality wise....the sound is nice and full.  

Last night I was listening to some jazz music, and out of nowhere I got my doors blown off. I was able pick apart the location of every instrument and who was in the foreground and the background.  It was only one of a few times I was able to discern true depth perception.  

Several days ago I decided to tube roll for the first time with my ZSTAGE.  I went from the stock 12AU7 to the NOS Amperex 12AT7 pinched waist D-Getter, and I was really impressed.  The added gain is less than a regular 12AT7, but more than the 12AU7.  There was added clarity and detail with this tube that  I liked.  I’ve been running the ZSTAGE in the lower bias setting, and the gain about 3/4 of the way up.  It’s a quiet tube, and I am able hear subtitles that I wasn’t able to extract before.  The bass is the only thing that’s a bit flabby right now.  It’s not horrible, just lagging behind.  

Groovy....You also mentioned how cables make a difference… I completely agree. Right now I am running silver interconnects for most locations except where I run the Decware DAG interconnect cables that go directly into the amplifier which crossover the power cable.  Even just by moving the interconnects, around I can hear a difference. In terms of speaker wire… I am just running some basic OFCC cables.  Noting special but I’m ready to install my  DH Labs D14 Silver Sonic speaker wire.  It will be very interesting to see how they sound.  

Dom

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/30/21 at 13:15:21

I’m around the house most the time so I’ve been leaving the amp on for 12+ hours a day.

The bass in my system hasn’t gotten flabby, it has faded out and come back a few times, I’ve gotten up to flip the Torii bass control switches or Zrock bypass switch and/or adjust the Zrock magic knob. With the fully seasoned ZMA the Zrock would get subtle adjustments. Zrock2 is also burning in new caps so might be part of it.

Last night I had some magical listening when everything was mind bending good. The holography is so wild!

I’ve been waiting to really play around with different tubes. I’ve had so many changes with my system, recapped Torii and ZRock2, voltage conversion on my PSA DSD and firmware update, and new speaker cables. Once I have some more time I’ll explore tubes a little.

Brad and Dom, Besides the DHC-1, I've not listened to a system with any of those cables, consensus is they are good cables. Cables, especially PC are my least favorite thing to evaluate. I’m working into a full loom of Snake River Audio signature cables a blend of gold, silver and copper, really enjoying what they have been bringing.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #20 - 05/30/21 at 17:38:03

Groovy.....yes the bass comes in and out.  When it goes out it’s just not tight....I guess flabby was the best way I can describe it.   Mind you that’s with the bass cut switch not activated.  When I play a piece where the bass is not optimal, the switch just works as described.  

In terms of USB cables and implementation, it’s the hardest to nail down.  If electrical noise and jitter are not handled with good cabling and USB DAC implementation,  then the sound gets smeared.  Part of the reason I bought my Bifrost 2, was due to its redesigned USB implementation, galvanic isolation, and micro processor.  I have to say that I get really good sound with the Acoustic BBQ Double Smoked cable.  Right now… I mainly stream music using an optical connection, so I don’t have a lot of listening time in with my USB cable.

****UPDATE***

So today was the first time I decided to run the optical out from my TV, through my DAC and into the Torii and it was amazingly good.  I first watched the Indy 500 live, and the sound of the cars flying by is very different than going through my (SS) amp.  I did have to use the treble cut to tame the highs, but everything else was so much more life like, that I want to take my SS amp and use it as a paper weight.  This is where I believe the Torii is a godsend.... the treble, bass cut, and feedback switches allow you on the fly to tailor the sound while keeping your current tube set.  

Next my daughter and I decided to watch Harry Potter since we are both big fans.  The sound was just so natural and lifelike that we were mesmerized. My Oppo DVD is boxed up in storage, so for now I am limited to broadcasted movies.  Either way...I now have a new avenue of exploration.

Dom

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/31/21 at 11:24:32

Yesterday I got my Holo Audio MAY KTE DAC. The next month or more I’m going to be in for the ups and downs of system seasoning. The treble cut is being utilized as it seasons.

I’ve been using Toslink because I have a 20ft run from my CDT to DAC. I just got my MicroRendu back so I’ll start using USB for streaming from Roon + HQPlayer I’m hoping my Curious Cable has good synergy.

After watching movies and TV that have a good audio system attached it’s hard to go back to a sound bar! I would be setting up the Oppo take movies to the next level.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #22 - 06/03/21 at 07:25:44

Keep us posted on the May Dac...I’m sure it’s going to blow your doors off!!  

Dom

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/08/22 at 21:58:40

Hey Dom, how are you enjoying your Torii MK 4?

Brad

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #24 - 03/09/22 at 05:57:31

Brad,

I am going on almost a year now with my amp am I absolutely love it!! It has seasoned nicely and the sound has greatly improved in the bass department  which has gotten tighter.  It has plenty of power to drive my ERR’s and even an older pair of less efficient Pinnacle speakers with no problem.  

My NOS Raytheon rectifiers made a big difference in the sound…more bolder and alive.  I started out with the GL KT66 and really like them better over the stock Tung Sol.  I will roll a new set of Tesla 6922’s soon, so that will be interesting.  My ZSTAGE I cannot live without…. It adds such a great dimension to the sound that I enjoy tube rolling with it often.  

I am sure you will be really love you MKV!!

Dom

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/09/22 at 21:18:19

Hey Dom, that's very exciting to hear! Really glad to know its all up to snuff and you're in orbit Smiley

I originally had my order in for the MK IV, then as you know they were all converted to MK V orders. I believe I'd be utterly smitten with either one. The Taboo ended up as a mistake; my goals quickly changed when I realized after owning it about 6 mos. that headphone listening was only going to make up about 5-10% of my time during non-bed hours [I have a solid transportable DAP for that, which is a mind-blower], though I still went all-out and purchased a used Audeze LCD-4 & Norne Silvergarde S3 cable to replace the LCD-3F and a much lesser cable I had custom made by Amplifier Surgery.

Anyway, enjoy that truly great amp, as many here are!

Brad

IP Logged
DLM
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 03/22/22 at 21:03:30

Dom,
What phono stage are you using with your MKIV $ Rega3 ?
Thanks,

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #27 - 03/23/22 at 03:39:33

DLM,

My turntable system is not currently setup since my house is under renovation.  I will be using the Rega Fono MM MK3 phono stage.  

Dom

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print