Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 02:40:35 

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Returning Fan of Decware Products (Read 44262 times)
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Returning Fan of Decware Products
02/13/22 at 15:29:39

Hi, all. I see many familiar names from my last visits who are still posting. That is great to see!
Doubt anyone would remember my input from years past, but I always loved the lengthy and info rich conversations about the common elements we shared.

Since I'm not new, I won't bother with much profile introductory things, but my situation has changed dramatically.

I am now retired from work and we have bought a new home. I now have a small room to dedidicate to music appreciation.

I have been very satisfied with my two SE84Cs for many years!

Saw the thread about fuse rolling and realized I had missed a click or two in my absence.

I will need to upgrade my power cables soon, but not today.  [smiley=peanuts21.gif]

Still only 200 miles from Peoria.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: Returning Fan of Decware Products
Reply #1 - 02/13/22 at 16:03:00

First order of business in getting my music room up is going to be some room treatments.

I'm still in compromise mode, since my music room is actually a sunroom. So it's two window walls are quite lively, even with the quilted drapes I have  bought.
I sprung for a natural jute padding under my thick wool rug which sits on a tile floor/concrete slab.

I know none of this is ideal or ever can be, but I HAVE MY OWN ROOM, NOW!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, my system sounds amazing in there, even considering the windows, but the drapes only affect a small portion of the sound spectrum.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #2 - 02/13/22 at 16:14:25

DD- Welcome back sir. Sounds like some big big changes, I hope all goes smoothly. Please keep us posted on your progress with the room and the new house. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/13/22 at 16:42:05

Hi, Chris. It's been a while!

This new home is great. Larger, more private in many ways, although neighbors are still close by. Almost infinitely quieter and no busy street thirty feet from our pillows. We moved to a golf community, so the view out the back is a fairway and backdoor neighbors are more than 150 yards away. Beautiful here!

Only thing right now is that I fell and broke my wrist last week, so typing one handed at the moment. Typos more possible than ever! Grin

But, all is well, including these hiccups. It's going to be awesome over here

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/13/22 at 16:56:22

I'm still enamored with my own creation, open box design. I've tweeked it a bunch, but I have two 15" modified JBL 2235 on each side, angled at seven degrees  back.

Then, I keep coming back to the Visiton driver, even though I have tried twelve others (all of which are sitting at attention in the attic, awaiting orders  ;) )  Resolution is hard to beat. I have it mounted with an additional  four degrees of back tilt.

A number of various uppers have been tried, including some upward and back facing. Not using tweets right now, but I kind of want to try them again once this room is sound diffused as bit more.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/13/22 at 23:30:27

hey man, welcome home. give it hell!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 02/13/22 at 23:34:36

DD, glad to see you back posting and please continue! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/13/22 at 23:41:56

Thanks, guys.

As normal, I have an impossible to fix sound issue.  But this time it is room related.
For the first time in many years, I have a room where I don't have to pull everything out to listen, then put it all back out of the way.

Woohoo!
Cheesy

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/14/22 at 03:06:42

Hello, DirtDawg
It sounds like very good news for you!
I wonder if some sort of doors could be placed in front of your windows and open when the windows are wanted.

I am glad you are back,  Brian

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/14/22 at 05:25:51

Good idea.
I was actually thinking of some kind of shutter arrangement, but instead of "blinds," maybe some kind of diffusing panels that I could close up when it gets dark and the dispersion panels would temper the reflected sound by a fair margin.

Wondering if anyone has ever had this Half-Glass room kind of dilemma to sort out.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/15/22 at 15:27:20

Spent half the day gathering together some of my crude, out of date measuring equipment to better determine (or possibly confuse me even more) the band of frequencies I need to control, including some contact microphones (acoustic instrument pick ups, although not calibrated for any kinf of scientific measuerments, they are very sensitive) I actually attached to the glass.

My research on our windows tells me they are not really glass, but a triple pane affair made of poly-some crappy long name plastic compound designed with aluminium in the panes, mainly to block heat transferrence. That felt really positive knowing that we have really awesome, modern windows throughout this house. The poly-messy-named "glass" still makes a boom at around 800 to 1200 hertz resonance when you just tap on them.  
That's an area of concern if the memory of having pitch imperfect ears and still instantly knowing how to find a problem frequency band on the EQ (from my sound reinforcement days) has any bearing, at this late date in my ''Hearing Career."

The actual hard surface reflections are still to be determined exactly, but the testing with frequency generator has only begun. I have a long way to go.
My wife just shakes her head and asks why I can't just enjoy My New Room. My explanation of how this is a part of my enjoyment just frustrates her more.
Grin

One thing I haven't talked about is that we have these high grade/high dollar blinds over all the windows in the house, which help quite a bit. They are painted solid wood slats two inches deep and about 3/16 inch thick. I am still hoping that there is a magic angle where the blinds take me part way to where I need to be. Only been listening in this room for three weeks now.

One thing I do not want to develop is an acoustic numbness that lowers my sensitivity to the point where I just get used to it all and don't try to help what needs help.

I have a challenge!!   But it is MY challenge. I have work to do.

Any ideas from any amaruer acousticians would be welcome.
Smiley

IP Logged
Andrew77
Verified Member

Music heals the soul

Reply #11 - 02/15/22 at 15:39:02

I would recommend not letting your wife catch you cutting the width of those fancy blinds down to form a quadradic diffuser.  Sounds like she might not appreciate the experiment.

Enjoy the process, enjoy the music.  Have a great day.

The Zen TORII MK4 // WiiM Pro Plus /w Tidal // Klipsch RP-600M
WWW   IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/15/22 at 17:25:54

Good advice, indeed! And I love the humor, because I tend to post too ''seriously" when I have a project going.

Also, don't get me wrong, I am no scientist, so I am not going to spend grant money or a lot of my time coming up with THE  right way to do all this. I just want to not waste too much effort going the 'Wrong Way"  toward my goal.

Also, keeping the wife as disinterested as possible for as long as possible is one of my short term goals.

There is so much nonsense out there on the 'net with some guys just trying to sell us stuff, others just trying to impress people with thier math skills and most just talking out thier back chutes, echoing something they read somewhere and haven't tried.

The main reason I came back to this Glory Well of like minders is to help me sift through most of that BS.

Enjoy your day Andrew77.
Smiley

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/16/22 at 01:39:38

First few attempts at measuring anything, I am inclined to go with Prime 7 diffusion, constructed into two Oriental style tri-fold free standing room dividers for each big window collage.

The frequency range I need to control from the Half-Glass room falls within that math.  Making it pretty will be the hard part.

They will still be heavy.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/16/22 at 02:16:07

"Oriental style tri-fold free standing room dividers for each big window collage."

I like the sound of that.
I don't know anything about 'Prime 7 diffusion', but the tri-fold panel seems like the right approach.

Brian

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 02/16/22 at 15:03:23

The way I understad it, the bandwidth of the affected frequency range of a QRD type diffusion panel is increased as you use a higher prime number for your calculation. Also the physical depth of the structure is increased as you gain more effectiveness to the overall diffusion characteristics.
There is always a compromise to find what works without the strutures becoming too big and too deep and too heavy.

Since I seem to have a very narrow band of hard reflection to manage, due to the two walls of windows, my thoughts are that I can make a more shallow depth structure that will be adequately effective over the offending range of mid frequencies and get the job done, mostly, using fewer materials.

I am going to run more tests before I buy any more wood or even turn on my saw, and since the third wall is plain old drywall I have not yet addressed, my next set of measurements will be MORE STILL with what I already have going.
I have kept many notes.

I will still drive everyone away for a while as I continue to try to grasp the entirety of the problems with using a Half-Glass room for enjoyment of my music.

My process has only begun.

The idea of a room divider kind of structure might become more of a folded fan shaped construction with several hinged planes, rather than just three free standing panels hinged together. I'm still toying with ideas at this point.

I mean, I have two walls of glass with which to contend. But, I am still talking about having to move things to reset my music room every day.

The window shutter idea, big enough to cover two walls of windows is not gone.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/16/22 at 16:52:43

I've got a friend with glass on three sides of his room. 6' panels with maybe 4" frames between each panel. It really pisses me off he doesn't have any reflection issues. The ceiling is vaulted, maybe a 18-20' peak. I honestly think the ceiling saves it. Could it be the sound IS bouncing off the glass, but the second bounce is far enough away (ceiling) it's not heard?

How tall is your ceiling? I've got the 8' in my basement and a 18' in the living room. Living room sounds great, but I'm exiled to the basement. I've been experimenting with 3" insulation batts on the ceiling. A real pain, but I've had positive results...and some not so positive.

This may be of interest if you decide to build a diffuser, uses less material and weighs less. Or just plywood the walls like he did!  :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YwZqcN1c4s

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 02/16/22 at 18:32:19

The ceiling is definitely helpful.
I intend to hang some break-ups from the ceiling soon. It is plaster, so more to do.

I am in the corner of a vaulted ceiling home, so, my height is 8' to a little more, lively, but nothing like the poly-messy-named windows. It feels like I need to hear a lot less window before I can listen to the ceiling.
Smiley

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/16/22 at 18:39:38

BTW, I've seen that John Heisz guy before. I think he built a tool cabinet that I thought looked cool.

Did not know he was into sound and related acoustics, though. Awesome!

His drilled boards are another direction of learning for me at this stage. I've seen a lot of computer designed diffusion out there.
My first thought was, if these are so great and they work so well and they are so easy to make, then why doesn't someone with a few CNC routers offer the panels at a decent price somewhere?

I know there is a lot of science behind this Digital amplitude stuff, but couldn't someone find the math to make the pattern resemble a twisted rope with a Celtic knot in it or something more artistic?
Grin

IP Logged
The other Lon

Reply #19 - 02/16/22 at 19:00:22

@Sean, my room is the same, 8 panels of glass on 3 walls, and then the 4th is a 6 foot glass door, with vaulted ceilings. I run drapes on that wall and the one behind the seating position. The remainder is currently untreated. Tile floors too. Not much in the way of reflection, at least from what I hear. Will hang drapes on the rest when I can find matching one's.

Without them and some throw rugs I put down while listening, the room is an echo nightmare.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/16/22 at 19:31:49

That room is designed for headphones, IMHO.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 02/16/22 at 21:36:41

Hi, Other Lon.

Rather than nightmare, while two window walls is not as bad as three window walls, I feel my room is still out of focus in the midrange.

I believe mine is correctible with a bit more diligence. Avoiding WAF issues is a part of that diligence.
Cheesy

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 02/16/22 at 21:39:41

"That room is designed for headphones, IMHO."

I've been using headphones for too long. Time for me to hear some "air."
Cool

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/17/22 at 03:32:24

"The way I understand it, the bandwidth of the affected frequency range of a QRD type diffusion panel is increased as you use a higher prime number for your calculation. Also the physical depth of the structure is increased as you gain more effectiveness to the overall diffusion characteristics."

Thanks DirtDawg, that is good to learn.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 02/17/22 at 15:08:27

Brian, in keeping with this forum's early traditions, we are always glad to share what we find along the way.
I am anxious to share, but at this point, I have more questions than answers. Sorry, but an in depth paper on using various primes to calculate a set of panels for a specific frequency range is beyond me. Grin

Steve's vision here is larger than first glance at the site can reveal. This site he allows AND pays for is a treasure trove of very seldom found value.

If I was rich enough, I might just take one of everything offered and ask if he could bring it all today, get it going and show me how it all works.

Alas, I'm mostly broke after supporting two mortgages for so long, so I can't just buy all of Steve's efforts for a year or so any time soon.  [smiley=icqlite22.png]

I gained some perspective from others posting about my concerns who have shared that they have MORE windows and they are enjoying their rooms.

I remain, trying to find a way to  'get a grip'  as the saying goes. Smiley

Oh, my new Mantra: I am broke, but NOT broken!

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 02/17/22 at 21:25:09

For my particular room, I think a diffuser behind me is what I need. I'm a DIY kind of guy and like to add one thing at a time and spend some time trying it out. I found this site where you can calculate quadratic diffusers for certain frequency ranges. I haven't found a calculator or layout tool for the hole or slot diffuser that goes over top of an absorption panel.

http://www.mh-audio.nl/Acoustics/diffusor2.asp

I've got a wood shop set up in the garage and may build one.

For now I've used Fire and Sound mineral wool batts from HD or Lowes. The panels are all single layer, 2' wide, 4' tall. I made simple box frames from used old pine door frames I replaced. I made ramshackle stands so they are 2' from the ceiling and 2' from the floor. The stands allow me to slide them out of the way. I wrapped them with old drop cloths, sheets, etc... I didn't get fancy in case it was a huge fail.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 02/18/22 at 13:48:38

Hey, Sean, I'm a DIY guy as well in most cases. No more plumbing, though!

I am very pleased with what I have in my room, except for a small band that is smeared sounding or there is no placement for that important band of frequencies. It is literally the same as the resonance of the windows when I tap on them.
800Hz to around 1200Hz. That means if a jazz singer or a French Horn are performing you can't find them.

The drapes do a lot for the upper frequencies flying around the room, as does the big thick rug. Even the thick blinds change things somewhat, depending on how they are set. But that particular range just plows through everything TWICE and pollutes what is otherwise half decent sound.
Thinking about it, I have a resonator in my room that is about a hundred times larger than my entire speaker system. Needs a bridle!

I'm still listening in my own room, so that's a win!

Other issue is that I love the light during the day. so I need to come up with away to NOT destroy the dual use aspect of what I have.

I'll build something, just not sure what just yet.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 02/18/22 at 13:57:11

I plan to construct some similar panels for the drywall side of the room.

My fourth wall where my chair sits is not a wall, but a passthrough to the large living room, which is heavily populated with upholstered furniture and pretty dead. Not much coming from behind me at the sweet spot.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 02/18/22 at 19:17:15

I have looked at products available at the stores we have near and thinking that these Wainscot panels, cut to size and assembled cleverly might just do a great deal (when re-imagined into a QRD panel) for my BIG drywall wall.

They are meant to go together by tongue and groove and the tongue is exactly one saw kerf. A panel with properly spaced saw kerfs, set apart just so could make a series of panels for the blank wall.

Still not turning on my saw, but looking at products available cheapish.
At $15 bucks for a bundle so four would make a 2x8 foot panel, but most of the sawing is done for you.

In the realm were we dwell, that might be a bargain, assuming a few hours (and hours and hours) of my donated labor.
Will need more wood, but maybe more to think about here.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 02/18/22 at 19:39:08

I don't want to go too far into the weeds here with ideas, but the urgency is over. The house is ours and I can play all I want.

Just asking for some with similar experience to hit me on the head or shine a light.
Grin

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 03/04/22 at 18:57:44

My next work is going to be taking charge of the bare wall as the first step.

I seemed to have found that the big bump in the room is being contributed by the bare wall as much as the glass. I always knew I would need some diffusion up on that wall, but since the windows tend to "vibrate" about where the peaks are, I was maybe being foolish and I had not yet found all the sources of the problems.

Bare wall first, since we all know that a bare flat wall can't ever work well for a listening room.

I am going to address the largest unbroken plane first, including the angled ceiling, then re-assess.
Well, the floor, but I still want to walk on the floor, so deadening it is as far as I can go. I think I have done that fairly well with my half inch thick jute and wool Indian rug.

Has anyone looked into fractal geometry for constructing 3-dimensional diffusion panels. I can't find much out there in our audio related realm.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 03/21/22 at 14:03:28

I have ordered enough 705 FRK material to address the two front corners, floor to ceiling, for a start on the lower frequency imbalance some.
That stuff is expensive, but it has a foil and paper backing that creates a ready-made Bass Trap which is most affective at "headache" frequencies.

This is the stuff that many HVAC companies use to build custom air vents and distribution manifolds.

Recommendation of that particular material came from Ethan Winer's site discussing various absorption testing he has done and how much air gap to leave between the walls and the absorption materials.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 03/23/22 at 16:04:31

This might be too simplistic for many but this Danish guru has an easy panel design: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/tips.htm#MY_DAMPING_PANELS

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 03/24/22 at 15:21:48

Thanks, EdwardT.

Lots of great ideas there.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 03/24/22 at 16:51:42

The prodigal Son has returned. Prepare the fatted calf!

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 03/24/22 at 20:39:29

LOL

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 03/27/22 at 09:54:43

Rivieraranch wrote on 03/24/22 at 16:51:42:
The prodigal Son has returned. Prepare the fatted calf!

Sorry, but you lost me when you capitalized the word "son." I tend to hold such reverance for one specific entity. 
Oh, and we ate the calves we didn't raise to sell when I was young, so I'm there with you.
Not completely sure what you are trying to imply.
I will attempt grace.
So, hi, Rivieraranch!

I have read many of your posts and found valuable, even thought provoking insights.
If you have read any of mine, then you already know I am from a different world and this whole sitting around just listening concept is new to me, even still.
I am trying to do some of that and guidance would be appreciated.

What do you have to advise on this "NEW' room of mine?

Do you think this 705 stuff will do much or am I just blindly following the advise of another internet dude who just barely knows anything?

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #37 - 03/27/22 at 15:53:45

DD- How is the taming of the room project coming along? Really like what I saw on that Danish gents site with the towels in a frame idea. I need to spend some time flipping through his site,  he looks like he is a major DIY'er. How is the wrist healing up? I think that 705 material may end up being a very positive experience for you. I have a buddy who is an industrial HVAC installer in some of the high tech clean rooms/ labs etc in the Bay Area and have asked him about that material and he said they use it all the time to quiet shafts and chambers plus the insulation benefits. Let us know how it shakes out. Stay well and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 03/28/22 at 04:47:25

Hi, Hdrider,

I still have not received my 705 materials yet. Should be here by next Tuesday. If I had ordered a truckload of the stuff, I probably could have gotten it same day as ordering. I suppose that small orders are just an annoyance they try to deal with.

Arm is better. Hard cast is off and a removable type is to be used for the remainder of the healing process. Physical therapy to rebuild strength and dexterity has begun. Still hurts like the dickens if I move wrong, but pushing myself best I can. I have no strength in that hand; can't even lift a jug of milk, yet. Keep trying and fail. Getting better, though. Thanks for asking.

So far I have four cobbled together absorbers which I have moved around from Hell to breakfast and back to find the best placing. I'm kind of satisfied with what I have achieved so far.
My caveman era testing process shows up a little better, but the listening is much better.

I have also bought two cartons of that eggcrate looking polyfoam absorbing panels you see everywhere, but they only seem to deaden the upper highs, with no effect whatsoever to the worst peaks in the room.
Probably not going to use them after all. Wasted coin, I think. I don't have a problem at 8K or above after the drapes are covering the windows, blinds slanted upward and 2'x4' homemade panels were placed to benefit.

More to do, yet, but I am really enjoying what I have so far.

I brought my old McIntosh MC2500 in (well, my son did it - damn thing weighs over 100 pounds) and put it on the 15s and just power the Visatons with the two SE84Cs and wow! I have so much distinct bass with the beast showing about a watt on the meters at my normal listening level. No low level crossover or anything, but my 15s wind down about where the Visitons wind up. That's one of the reasons I have kept this OB system the way it is for so long. It Freeking works!

Might keep this going for a while. The sound is amazing. I go back to just the tubes running everything and the sound is amazing. Floating here! Still reaching for the best KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principal set up.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 04/04/22 at 07:14:43

I have just today brought my Yamaha NS-5 studio monitors (10" 2-way, acoustic suspension) into the room and sent my open back speakers to the garage for now.

Just as an experiment at first, I thought, but this might take a while to assess.
These are only around 87dB efficiency, but I had never set them up with my SE84C amps for that reason.
Then I got another amp and I can run them in mono mode, but I have not tried these this way before. Now I have the quietest house I have ever lived in. What's a dB here or there ...?

These have been stored for ages and right back into duty, I am really surprised at the deafening peaks, the crispness and subtle air around everything!
Most all reviewers say these speakers are far too clinical, sterile or even castrated (one said) to enjoy listening to, if you can believe them.
They were designed to be near field, highly revealing, ultra flat studio monitors. Very clinical, one might expect.

I wonder how many of those "reviewers" ever hooked them up to mono'ed Decware amps.  HMMmm?

These Yamahas are still among the best speakers I have ever heard. I am really amazed at how they project, how they define and place precisely, how they disappear, how they present such a thick, full bodied sound from a 2-way in my questionable room. And this is from just the first couple of hours listening.
I am thunderstruck. I have them about 8' away, which is about twice what they were designed for.

I am going to live with this set up for a while before I do much more than work corner traps up.

My 705 materials came this week, but I've been busy (physical therapy might be as bad as trying to heal a couple of broken bones. I find this part of healing to be exhausting and I'm only moving my damn hand!) with other things. I am anxious to build the corner supports for this treatment, get them up and running.
Lots more to do, but for right now, I'm going to go put on Hendrix again and probably crash for a while.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 04/09/22 at 22:26:57

well that didn't last long.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #41 - 04/10/22 at 00:37:18

What in the world happened?

Gee a guy goes out of town for a day....

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 04/10/22 at 04:57:45

"I wonder how many of those "reviewers" ever hooked them up to mono'ed Decware amps."  

Yes, exactly! I expect doing their reviews only with solid state amps is why these revealing speakers gave them a "far too clinical, sterile or even castrated sound to enjoy listening to."

Glad you are getting such an enjoyable sound.
Brian

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 04/10/22 at 19:54:45

Quote:
Posted by: Donnie      Posted on: Yesterday at 19:37:18

Ha, he went out in a blaze calling himself this:

dirtdawgGODdamnit - Ex Member

I suspect I might know why, but mentioning that would get only me kicked off the forum -- at the glee of other like-minded types here who have already placed their hopes and bets on the matter, one who has already told me as such but has lied about that in public.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 04/10/22 at 22:26:50

Yep, It's still me, the late DirtDawg.
Nope, Piezoman, I did not change my name and ditch. I was as surprised to see that as anyone could be. I wonder if that is some of Steve's cleverness or who ever else helps with his website.

Sorry, folks, but I was trying to update my profile info, since it is really out of date, had two tabs open side by side typed out everything, model numbers and all, one handed, then went to click out and hit enter and deleted myself.
Laugh all you want! Elbow nudging, accidentally mind you, and mice are hard to work with.
Grin

I had emailed Sarah about my idiocy, hoping there was an easy fix, but the note was headed to Steve. I am hoping I could get that stopped. No reason for Steve to get dirty wasting his time with my error.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 04/10/22 at 22:31:27

piezoman wrote on 04/10/22 at 19:54:45:
Ha, he went out in a blaze calling himself this:

dirtdawgGODdamnit - Ex Member

I suspect I might know why, but mentioning that would get only me kicked off the forum -- at the glee of other like-minded types here who have already placed their hopes and bets on the matter, one who has already told me as such but has lied about that in public.

Hey, bud I hope you don't think I want you gone. I like to see you around just for your creepy ass avatar.
... and I ain't lying!
Grin

Tell mme more about what you think you might know, especially if it applies to my latest project.
Smiley:BIG OFFENSIVE KISS:

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 04/10/22 at 22:46:03

Hey, Brian, thanks.
I've been messing around with the 705 stuff and, like Groovy said, he just piled the boxes and got groovier sound without doing much.

I took his idea and only partially cut a corner out or the boxes and forced the fiberglass into a curved surface, paper out, jutting from the cut corner of the box and now I'm a little groovier.

First I need to get all this extra gear, including three subwoofers in the way, out of here and just listen a bit, until I can make something more permanent.

Things already sound much better in this half glass room.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 04/10/22 at 22:50:54

Hey Dirt,

Now now, don't conflate things and act all coy all of a sudden.

As for wanting me gone I have no idea as far as you're concerned, but I do do know of one guy who said be wanted me kicked off this forum and I'll also say there are a bunch more who've whined and complained like little schoolgirls and there's little doubt about them.

My advice to you as per a previous post: Don't let your mouth write a check your ass can't cash.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 04/10/22 at 22:54:29

Donnie wrote on 04/10/22 at 00:37:18:

Donnie, I can't tell you why it hurts when you pee, but I can add that sometimes it hurts when you "click."

See my apologetic note above.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/10/22 at 23:01:57

Sorry, Piezoman, but I don't really know how to do coy.
After spending about eight years in retail, I can certainly imitate passive agressive, if I ever felt the need to join one of those groups.

I have some catching up to do with the family dynamic going on around here.
I consider you all my brothers by many mothers.
I don't remember ever getting crosswise with anyone here, myself.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I can tell you I am not a very sensitive fellow. I might have missed a tangled panty or two.
My skin is thick and hard.
Grin

BTW, I'm going to use/steal your "don't write a check" advise ...... elsewhere.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print