Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:38:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 with MKV, or ZP3 + preamp with MKV? (Read 2155 times)
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

ZP3 with MKV, or ZP3 + preamp with MKV?
02/05/22 at 15:44:20

I plan on running my MKV as an LP only rig, and have a ZP3 phono stage ordered with it. Is the general consensus being that this is more than adequate, or should there be a proper preamp inbetween the phono stage and the torii MKv?

I understand that it's not a necessity, but I would love to know any pros/cons of adding a preamp. Would it be redundant, because a ZP3 is a preamp of sorts?

Thanks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZP3 with MKV, or ZP3 + preamp with MKV?
Reply #1 - 02/05/22 at 16:29:27

When I had a ZP3 and a Torii Mk III I ran the system both with and without a CSP2+. First without and then I needed to add another source and then with.

The system sounded great either way. You CAN get a little more tuning flexibility and tailor the sound a bit more with the preamp, but there's an immediate palpable sound without it, and with tube-rolling you can tailor the sound quite well. There was plenty of gain from the ZP3, the CSP2+ was not needed for additional gain.

I think if you are going to continue with a single source system the Mk V and the ZP3 will create a great one.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/05/22 at 17:10:43

I've run my ZP3 both through a CSP3 into my ZMA and straight.  When running straight I was very happy with the sound but adding the CSP3 gave me something more (weight, density) and I much prefer it.  But without the direct comparison you'll be happy.  The secret to continued happiness is to not ask these questions and to never listen to additional gear, e.g., CSP3, Zrock2.   Wink

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/05/22 at 17:22:36

Thanks for the replies! I forgot about the zrock2, I ordered one of those too. So with the ZP3 and the zrock, I think I should be fine without the preamp. I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on some kind of strange magic or something!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/05/22 at 17:59:32

I bet you're right.  The ZR2 really massages the signal.  I've never tried it without the CSP3 so I can't really comment.  I will say that I haven't always preferred having the ZR2 in the chain.  What seemed to change that for me was when I replaced the ZR2 tube with a GE GL 6201 Triple Mica Blk Plate Military 12AT7 Tube.  This tube may be the reason I now prefer having the ZR2 back in.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 02/05/22 at 18:10:49

Yes, the 12AT7 type really does suit the ZROCK2. I am using one, a tall one, a 7062--I have several types but my favorite is a pinched waist D getter from the Herlin, Holland factory (labeled Amperex).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/05/22 at 18:37:39

Man, now I'm thinking about adding a CSP325 to the mix. I'm snowballing!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/05/22 at 18:59:32

I know what you mean!  lol  I started out looking for a ZP3 and I ended up with a ZMC1, ZP3, CSP3, ZR2, ZMA and a ZLC.  All have been anniversary modified as well.  I probably wouldn't have gone for the CSP3 originally except I wanted the ability to have 2 sources without switching around cables and the ZMA has only a single input.  I have absolutely no regrets though.  If you have the budget for it than go for it.  These days only waiting once is kind of imperative.  Might as well get everything fully loaded too.  

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with Decware!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/05/22 at 19:08:22

Yeah, the whole extended wait thing is what keeps pushing me to add things. I keep thinking, but what if I need ________. Then I think about waiting another year to get it it, and I'm like, well...hmm. Maybe I should just get it now. Additionally, the added time gives me more time to save up, which lessens the blow, given that immediacy is some amorphous specter looming in the distance!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print