Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:37:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Basic questions on Rachel (Read 3195 times)
thevinoman

Basic questions on Rachel
01/12/22 at 17:04:25

Completely new to the DECWARE world, so please excuse if these are basic questions......

I will be driving a host of Klipsch speakers (Khorns, La Scala, Heresy IV), although not at the same time.....How does the Rachel or other DECWARE amps match up with the speakers?  Mostly listen to classic rock, jazz, funk, acoustic.

I normally listen in the 80-90db range, but occasionally like to crank it up.  Will the Rachel support this?

My listening room is basically 20z20, 9 ft. ceiling, carpeted, upholstered furniture, a few acoustic panels.

I asked in another thread about a preamp for Rachel.  I have a Mcintosh C22 V3.  Hope it's a decent match.  Any other questions or help is certainly appreciated.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Nick324

Re: Basic questions on Rachel
Reply #1 - 01/29/22 at 15:50:06

I use my Rachael, 341.5 with K-Horns, Heresy, RP 600, & WF34 Klipsch Speakers and enjoy them. I listen at Very Low to Low Medium volume levels only during the quiet hours where ambient noise levels are at a minimum in a partially treated room, 16*24 w/ 18ft ceilings that is basically open to the rest of the house at approximately 10000 cubic feet of volume.
Sometimes I transfer the amp to my small listening room in a 12*13*8 space. I tend to use the smaller speakers in this room.

For Low and medium low volume levels the Speakers perform w/ vibrancy, have plenty of headroom, and even when not supplemented by subs provide appropriate bass, genre specific. (Club, EDM, techno and similar are NOT appropriate in this setting) Think Jazz, Blues, vocals, instrumentals etc.

I have a lower power SE84USO25 on order w/ even less power available and have no worries that it will perform to my desired preference.

If you can only appreciate your speakers performing at medium high to high volume levels and want gobs of headroom on call for heavy complex tracks I would recommend a higher power class of amplifier.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
thevinoman

Reply #2 - 01/29/22 at 16:00:26

Thanks very much for your reply. Just ordered the Rachel, so it will be about a year......

IP Logged
Larry Lang
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/08/22 at 00:21:35

I too have the Rachel.  Adding a preamp has made a gigantic difference in the soundstage.  Clarity is even better and the detail is unbelievable.  I’m driving Lii Audio Silver 10s.  I stream from the Brinkmann Nyquist to a VTL 6.5 Series II preamp.  Kinda pricey set up but the Rachel is a perfect match.  With tube rolling on the preamp and amp, the possibilities to hear what you want seems endless.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/08/22 at 09:06:01

My white top Rachel is now ten years old.  Have owned five Decware amps, including a Torii.  To me the SE34 is the most sweet sounding of the lot.

In conclusion... "From my dying hands".

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/08/22 at 13:50:57

Yes, I've got to say, I am incredibly happy to own my own Rachael - the quality of sound is better than I had ever hoped. Better yet, I have a preamp (CSP2 from Lin) arriving tomorrow, so I'll finally be able to ride the gain and get her set up just so.

On a pair of Randy's Betsy's with Lii 15' I can get her louder than I would ever want before clipping. The imaging is delightful.

The only thing I wish I knew more about was tube rolling; I've been dipping my toes in, and it's a whole new world out there in terms of tailoring the sound for what you like.

Trust me, the wait will be worth it!

When you do get her, I'm really curious how she sounds with those Heresy IV's.

IP Logged
thevinoman

Reply #6 - 03/08/22 at 14:38:23

I am very much looking forward to getting the amp.  I was wondering about tube rolling as well.  Anyone with some insight as to rolling the EL34s and the other driver tubes?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 03/08/22 at 14:44:48

If you search within the Rachel forum (this one this thread is in) you'll see a few previous threads about tube rolling this component that may be helpful.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ChJKy (Chris)
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/24/22 at 17:21:47

Has anyone tried twin Rachels bridged into mono with very efficient speakers?

The Rachel does have quite a few interesting features that seem to tick many boxes: Line out, headphones, bridgeable. 12 watts is more than enough power.

Chris.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/25/22 at 03:53:19

I've come across at least three members' signatures that list 2x SE34I amps bridged to mono (might be 4-5 members).

Here's a thread from 7-8 years ago in this subforum on the subject:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1397524062

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print