Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 10:53:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One source, one DAC, two destinations (Read 2731 times)
M_P
Verified Member

One source, one DAC, two destinations
01/10/22 at 19:28:10

Luckily, I have a big desk, because my whole home system is there. A Mac mini feeds a Schiit Modi3+ and that, in turn, is connected to my SE84UFO2 and then to a pair of Omega CAMs. Another USB cable coming from the mini feeds yet another Schiit Modi 3 connecting to a Bottlehead Crack and then my Sennheiser headphones. And now I have another system under construction in my studio and I need a DAC for that.

So, I’d like to somehow get one DAC out of the desktop system. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t know any DACs with dual outputs. Is there a good way to feed one USB cable into a single DAC and then to two destination amplifiers? A switch of some sort maybe?

I could just get another Modi, but I’m kind of seeing this as an opportunity to upgrade the desktop DAC situation.

Thanks,

Michael

Home office: Mac mini => SMSL SU-9 => SE84UFO2 => Omega CAMS or Bottlehead Crack => Sennheiser HD-6XX
Studio: Mac Pro/Roon => Bluesound Node => Elekit TU8200DX => DIY Lii F-15 Big Betsy's
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: One source, one DAC, two destinations
Reply #1 - 01/10/22 at 21:50:04

I feed 2 amps out of my Denafrips Ares II.

My main amp gets it's signal from the RCA's and the other amp gets it's signal from the balanced output with a cheap cable that outputs from one leg of the balanced signal into RCA plugs.

Now I don't run them both at the same time, but it works out pretty well.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/11/22 at 13:12:53

Thanks, Donnie! I'd thought about the Denafrips, but read there was a tiny lag that made movie watching (another pursuit using this rig) annoying. But now I see there are a few well-rated DACs out there with dual outputs. The ones I am finding are like yours--one set balanced, the other single ended. So converting from XLR to RCA doesn't seem to penalize sound quality?

MP

Home office: Mac mini => SMSL SU-9 => SE84UFO2 => Omega CAMS or Bottlehead Crack => Sennheiser HD-6XX
Studio: Mac Pro/Roon => Bluesound Node => Elekit TU8200DX => DIY Lii F-15 Big Betsy's
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 01/11/22 at 14:38:38

You can always use a "Y cable" to split the output from your DAC, or get a switch box. Decware makes a really nice one, but they can be had for a lot less money.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/12/22 at 12:57:50

Thanks, CAJames. So, using a splitter or cable, can I assume that as long as I keep the amp I don't wish to use off, all will be well? And that the only sonically important factor is the quality of the splitter or splitting cable?

Similarly, I guess, since both of my amps are single ended, then it'd be the quality of the balanced to RCA adapter or cable that's the only limiting factor in a scenario like Donnie's?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 01/12/22 at 13:04:04

Yes, a good quality XLR to RCA cable will give you the lesser output from the RCA but not really influence the sound quality in my experience. I have a pair around here I used to use made by Realistic Audio that did a decent job. That may be the simplest way to achieve your goal.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 01/13/22 at 07:43:24

If you are looking to feed RCA’s then the Zen switch box ZSB would be a potential option.  You  can select up to 4 separate inputs with the selector switch, and it has dual RCA outputs.  

I go from my Bifrost into the s ZSB… then one output signal goes to my Preamp, and the other output feeds my sub.  I know the better way is to use the speaker level inputs  on the sub, but I just use my sub as a filler for the really low frequencies, crossed over at  like 40 hz, with the volume low.  

A “ Y splitter cable” would be the cheaper route, but I like the flexibility the ZSB gives you.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/13/22 at 12:01:42

Just a couple thoughts and perhaps a bit of praise for the Decware ZSB, my 1st Decware product. It’s been in/out of my system since 2014 and, while I’ve not used it in the way @M_P intends, I have used it with multiple sources (CDP, DACs), amps (tube, ss), and to feed a subwoofer as @Dominick mentioned. I have never detected even the tiniest reduction in sound quality. Perhaps my aging ears aren’t good enough or my gear isn’t resolving enough but I can certainly hear cable changes with my current system.

A splitter is a nice inexpensive quick solution and perhaps the only one you’ll need, of course, and is a fine way to go. The ZSB adds quality long-term flexibility. So much so that if I ever decide to go down the passive pre route I would sell mine and order a new one with either the stepped attenuator or the remote volume option.

IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/15/22 at 13:34:57

Thanks everyone. I'm going to leave the Modi's in the home setup for now and run an old chromecast audio using it's internal DAC into my studio's DIY Betsy's while I build the Big Betsy's. Plan is to replace the CCA's DAC with one of the Modi's when the big speakers are done and then acquire one of the dual output DACs for the home system. Then add one additional pair of XLR=>RCA interconnects as Donnie and Lon suggested. The ZSB sure sounds like a great option, but boy is the wait list getting long.

IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 02/15/22 at 14:38:21

Update: I took the advice offered and got a SMSL SU-9n DAC sporting XLR and RCA connections. Also got an XLR=>RCA cable. So now one set of interconnects goes to the UFO, the other set to the Bottlehead Crack. Works great so far. The studio Chromecast Audio device is acting up so I splurged on a Bluesound Node for that system. Thanks again for all the advice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print